Hearing Waiver approved NOW denied Option 40?

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
blueskiesalways
Ranger Mom

Hearing Waiver approved NOW denied Option 40?

Post by blueskiesalways »

Hi all,
My son scored a 2 on the hearing test. He had a retest with an audiologist passed and applied for a waiver. The Waiver was granted!...However, now the recruiter is telling my son he are not allowed an option 40 contract with a waiver???...WTF, Why have him apply for one...IS THIS A TRUE FACT?...No Option 40 with a hearing waiver?
Thanks in advance for any insite you can give me Rangers, I would ask his brother but he's currently overseas...They are pushing him to sign a field medic contract this comming Friday.
Mom - One former 1/75 Ranger warrior......One current 3/75 Ranger warrior
Baseplate
Ranger

Re: Hearing Waiver approved NOW denied Option 40?

Post by Baseplate »

Say that again,I couldn't hear you
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

I had to get a hearing waiver when I went in. That was back in 1988, though. I have no idea what the current policy is. I would certainly get another recruiter's opinion.

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Insist that he see the rule/policy/reg in print. If it is not in print, it is a figment of imagination.
Recruiters will say what they must to get a candidate to sign. Those Opt40 guys make a lot of work for a recruiter who gets no extra credit for it.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
blueskiesalways
Ranger Mom

SITREP

Well, out of sheer frustration with the waiver situation my son went ahead and enlisted without on option 40 in his contract (Against our advice I might add) However, he is another good example that hard work and determination can indeed take you where you want. He just picked up a RASP slot, apparently one of three that they handed out. He told the instructors when he started out that was his goal and due to that received quite a lot of of extra attention (read, "who the hell do you think you are" :evil: )...Right now he is in Airborne hold.
He was truly amazed at how many dropped their option 40 contracts, especially since he spent MONTHS trying to secure one...I'm very proud of him for securing the opportunity...now the hard work begins.
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Outstanding!
Pretty much your son's route is becoming THE only route to RASP.

RS 9-76

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
blueskiesalways
Ranger Mom

SITREP: After having to recycle due to a brief hospital stay my son called to say he Passed phase 1, his Boards and peer review and is currently in weapons training ect...His projected RASP Graduation date is July 14th. (Apparently a day earlier than normal?)..Taking a lot of determination for him to earn that tan beret...Anyone going to be around Benning at that time...I'll be happy to let you buy me a beer (or more) :)
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

blueskiesalways wrote:...Anyone going to be around Benning at that time...I'll be happy to let you buy me a beer (or more) :)
Well BSA, if you can hang around for about another week, there'll be several hundred of us showing up down there, many of whom will be happy to ply you with beers! Two or three of whom might even show a little class. :lol:
Your (hopefully) cherry Ranger son will be busy carrying many of those beers from the kegs to his more senior squadmates, along with all the other sundry chores.
You'll just be missing Ranger Rendezvous and the 75thRRA reunion. Plan on it in two year's time if either of your sons is still in Regiment then.
Congrats on his remarkable progress so far!

RS 9-76

blueskiesalways
Ranger Mom

K.Ingraham wrote:
blueskiesalways wrote:...Anyone going to be around Benning at that time...I'll be happy to let you buy me a beer (or more) :)
Well BSA, if you can hang around for about another week, there'll be several hundred of us showing up down there, many of whom will be happy to ply you with beers! Two or three of whom might even show a little class. :lol:
Your (hopefully) cherry Ranger son will be busy carrying many of those beers from the kegs to his more senior squadmates, along with all the other sundry chores.
You'll just be missing Ranger Rendezvous and the 75thRRA reunion. Plan on it in two year's time if either of your sons is still in Regiment then.
Congrats on his remarkable progress so far!
Crap...not like me to miss a party :evil:
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

Not sure if I've posted this elsewhere, but figure this is good a place as any: no medical waivers of any sort will be able to take the abn phys, which precludes them from opt 4, 40, or mos 18x.

Your son is in with one of my guys going through, sounds like he is well on his way to batt.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
blueskiesalways
Ranger Mom

goon175 wrote:Not sure if I've posted this elsewhere, but figure this is good a place as any: no medical waivers of any sort will be able to take the abn phys, which precludes them from opt 4, 40, or mos 18x.

Your son is in with one of my guys going through, sounds like he is well on his way to batt.
Ranger goon175, will you be able to attend the graduation?....Good luck to your guy and my son, also 3/75Dad, whos son is also close to the end Zone....
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

Well I have told all my guys that I am working with that if they graduate rasp I will fly down to see them don the beret. This one is a little up in the air though, both my vehicles have required extensive repairs in the last two weeks, which hasn't left a lot for plane ticket. I am doing my best to make it down though, would hate to break a promise like that.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
blueskiesalways
Ranger Mom

WHOOOOOOOOO...Final word...RASP Graduation Thursday 1400 hrs!...Most impressive...hate (almost) to be that bragging mom, but this kid earned it the hard way!...
blueskiesalways
Ranger Mom

blueskiesalways wrote:WHOOOOOOOOO...Final word...RASP Graduation Thursday 1400 hrs!...Most impressive...hate (almost) to be that bragging mom, but this kid earned it the hard way!...
Having a couple of beers...doing the booty dance..thinking....HOLY SHIT I HAVE SOME KICK ASS KIDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!.Maybe another 1st Batt Ranger???

Return to “Recruitment Process”