AFPT: Rest during PU?

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
Cisco4711
US Army

AFPT: Rest during PU?

Post by Cisco4711 »

Rangers,

I've recently noticed that many people who can do around 65+ push ups take rests during their test. My recruiter says it's normal to rest during your test in order to get reps like 80-100. I always thought it was possible to knock out that amount in 1 shot without rest.
My question is if Rangers find this acceptable or weak on taking rests for PT tests?
173rd Airborne Brigade Combat Team
Feb 2010- Present
inter06
Tadpole

Re: AFPT: Rest during PU?

Post by inter06 »

If your going to RASP you need to knock out as many as possible before resting.
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

inter06 wrote:as many as possible before resting.
As many as possible IN PERFECT FORM.
Train for form first, the speed will follow. Nothing sucks like being three pushups away from your goal and on your last ounce of strength like hearing the counter repeating "xx nine".. "xx nine".. "xx nine".. "xx nine" because your pushups suck.
Train for 110%+ of a perfect score.

As always, "do as I say..." etc. :P
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Post by centermass »

TaylorRay wrote:My JROTC instructor taught us to do as many as we could until we couldnt do any more, then to stick your butt in the air for 3 seconds and then drop down and do 3 more until the end of the test. Worked pretty well for our PT teams
2 Rangers above you just dispensed some good real world advice and then the post you make is your way (And your JROTC instructors way) is better than the Ranger way........

Sure am glad you have as many APFT's under your belt as they do.

Please feel free to dispense any MMA advice you have as well. :roll:

RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

TaylorRay wrote:My JROTC instructor taught us to do as many as we could until we couldnt do any more, then to stick your butt in the air for 3 seconds and then drop down and do 3 more until the end of the test. Worked pretty well for our PT teams
If your JROTC Instructor taught you this he hasn't been up on his PT even knowledge lately. Any repetition done with raising the buttocks doesn't count and could be cause for termination of the sit-up event.

The only authorized position is the UP position. That's your upper body, not your ass cheeks.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg

Return to “About Army Physical Training”