Shin-splints - Care and Prevention

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
NoMoreRegrets
Tadpole

Shin-splints - Care and Prevention

Post by NoMoreRegrets »

I saw some advice by SFC hit_it about wearing ankle weights in this thread and I plan to go buy some tomorrow to start wearing all the time, except when I'm running. I'm looking for the best advice on defeating shin-splints as I don't want them to develop into anything more serious as happened with devilrat.

My distance runs are getting progressively better.. longer and faster. But I'm finding that when I really put on a strong pace (< 6:00 miles) my shins start getting unbearable after about a 1/2 mile. My first inclination was to drive-on in spite of the pain, but I read a little about shin-splints over on Runner's World and it was strongly advised that care be taken or it could become something more serious. So when they get that bad I lay off the running for the day - they usually feel fine the next. I also make sure to get my slower paced distance running in first before I try to pick up the pace and hit the shin-splint wall.

But that "wall" has been at about the 1/2 mile mark for about 3 weeks now, and I want to break that wall down, or, at least move it further back so that I can extend the distance on my fast paced runs. I'm getting the ankle weights as advised by SFC hit_it, but I would like some more education on exactly what effect that I should expect from the weights and why they work, if possible. Additionally, if there are other measures that I can be taking to improve the endurance of my shins during the hard runs, I would be very appreciative for any advice from the Ranger and military folk here who have faced and overcome a similar challenge in their training. My shins are giving out long before my lungs, so this is a problem that I need to get fixed.

Thanks in advance...
NoMoreRegrets
- better late than never.
NoMoreRegrets
Tadpole

Post by NoMoreRegrets »

Oh, I should note that I'm having Anterior Splints... no Posterior at all... if that makes any difference.
NoMoreRegrets
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Buy a Walker....Pops.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
FireFinder
Paratrooper

Post by FireFinder »

NoMoreRegrets:
The shinsplint issue has been covered by Doc in the Medical Issues Forum: http://www.armyranger.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=1704
13R2P B BTRY (TAB), 26th FA (ABN), 18th FA BDE (1984-1988)
11C (4.2" Mortar) CSC 2/124INF, FLARNG (1988-1989)
NoMoreRegrets
Tadpole

Post by NoMoreRegrets »

Very informative thread - I don't know how I missed it. My apologies...
NoMoreRegrets
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

another thing to consider is try to lay off the akle weight right before you go on a LONG run. don't want to mess up the achilles.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
CCRN
Embryo

Anterior Shin Splints

Post by CCRN »

Your profile doensnt say if you are training for recruitment or how long you have to prepare yourself if you are.

If you are experiencing anterior tibial pain it is most likely due to over use injury, something also called the "too's"= too much, too soon.

Tight calfs and weak anterior muscles also contribute to anterior "shin splints".

You can do a half hour google search, educate yourself, see a sports physiologist and go from there if you are motivated.

Tenderness running along the shin is usually muscular. Most often this feels better after running for a few minutes, then hurts more the next day.

Stress fractures are usually pinpoint and get worse with activity. Only rest will heal this. As your pain gets worse with running I fear you might be suffering this. See a sports injury MD.

Some tips to keep in mind:

Walk ten minutes before running while training. Walk ten minutes after. Muscles like to be warm before stretching and performing.

Stretch properly before AND after running. Stretch the muscles of the calf and also the ones along the shin (tibia). This can be done by lying on your stomach and pointing your toes down and away from you. You can also achieve this by leaning against a wall and assuming a position of dragging your toes behind you. Do one leg at a time if stanfdng and hold each stretch for thirty seconds.

Its usually wise to run every other day unless training for a marathon. Two days rest is even better especially if starting over or a new runner.

Try the thirty day walk/run for fifteen minutes each day to warm up to running milage. Walk for 30 secongs then run for thirty seconds. Increase until your time intervals are five minutes of each.

When running milage increase your distance by no more than 20% a week. 10% is wiser if there is enough time

Ice for twenty minutes after running. Some advise to do so before running also.

Try sitting on a table and dangling your legs. Get a five or ten lbs weight and suspend it from the front part of your foot with a bathrobe belt (or other suitable cordage). Do toe lifts, sets of five to ten to start out. Strenghtening this muscle group will assist them to take the shock of heel strike.

Use the proper shoes. If you over pronate you will need motion control shoes. If you dont and-or have a very rigid foot you may need cushioning shoes. A sports physiologist will help with this and is money well spent after all, what is fifty to a hundred dollars to find out something crucial to your health and performance? Try to run on firm dirt. Its much softer than hard surfaces and ruts and holes can be seen better than in grass.

Most workouts like the BUD/S warning order or SFAS five week prep are too much too soon for people who are not in good shape to begin with. I believe those who are not should take a year to build up slowly especially considering jobs and famliy if that is ones situation. Its time well spent if one has the time-

HTH

ccrn
NoMoreRegrets
Tadpole

Post by NoMoreRegrets »

Thought I would report back on this. I just bought some motion control shoes this afternoon. I've been reading about overpronation problems possibly related to shin-splints, but I had no idea whether it was even applicable to me.

Over the past few weeks, I've stopped in to about a dozen different shoe stores and among the brighter answers that I received to "How do I know if I should get a stability or motion control shoes, and do you have any?" was "huh?"

Well, today I stopped in at Athlete's Foot. They are squared away on this issue. They had a litter computer terminal with a footpad that I stood on, walked across, and jogged across, and it helped determine the best possible arch support system. The sales guy knew his stuff and showed me the best shoes for overpronation - turns out I overpronate pretty bad and didn't even know it. $150 bucks, but I figured what the hell, it will be worth it if it works.

It did. I just did a 5 miler tonight. Shins feel fine. Don't feel even a tickle of pain. Usually, by the time I get done with 5 miles I can hardly walk, and sometimes I don't finish the 5 at all depending on the pacing. Tonight, I did a good and steady 8 min/mile pace all the way and my shins were still good to go.

I'm stoked about it. I was starting to get worried that I just wasn't going to be able to get over this shin-splint hurdle so that I could continue to improve my running. I feel like I found an answer to my problem and thought I would post it up here for any other wannabe's that might be experiencing similar issues.
NoMoreRegrets
CCRN
Embryo

Post by CCRN »

Glad to see youve had good results with your new shoes. Good shoes can make all the difference when it comes to training especially when training hard.

Remember to warm up well and stretch before and after running. These two pratices can help avoid injuries. Maybe while in an Army school you might have suprise runs but while training on your own there is no excuse to avoid this.

When I was in they told us the Army moves on its feet and soldiers are only as good as their legs. Take care of them-

ccrn
Last edited by CCRN on September 10th, 2004, 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bell

Post by Bell »

I don't understand the embryo tag yer wearing. Aren't you prior service? Or current?

RLTW
Bell
CCRN
Embryo

Post by CCRN »

Yes, Ranger bell I was USAR from '81-87. I am currently in the process of re-enlisting-

ccrn
Warrior-Mentor
Ranger

SHIN SPLINTS

Post by Warrior-Mentor »

Here's the deal on SHIN SPLINTS...

First, you probably aren't stretching your CALVES sufficiently before AND after each of your runs. The best way to stretch your calf is to stand with your toes on a curb and your heel on the street and lean into it. Another way is to get into a push up position, then, keeping your knees lock straight, walk your hands closer to your feet until your heels almost touch the ground. Hold this for 10-15 seconds and slowly let it out. Repeat.

Second, AGE matters. Not your age either. When's the last time you bought a pair of RUNNING SHOES? If they're over 6 months old, you're due for a new pair. Every time I get shin splints, it's because my shoes are worn out.

Third, SIZE matters. When you buy the running shoes, make sure they're the right size. Don't measure size with a Brannock Device (the metal measuring device at shoe stores). You must go off feel, not the size. Different manufacturers have different standards for size. Remember, your feet expand from the pounding when you run, so you need the size to accomodate for it.

What's the right size for a running shoe?
The rule of thumb is to keep trying on bigger and bigger sizes until the shoes feel like clown feet. then go back down a 1/2 size and you have the correct size. I got this tip from Phil Maffetone, who coached the World Ultra Distance record Holder, Stu Mittleman (http://www.worldultrafit.com/whois.html). Trust me it works.

Fourth, what SURFACE are you running on? Concrete (side walks) is the hardest and worst for your legs, knees, etc. Asphalt (roads) is a close second. The best is a soft surface like grass or sand. Consider changing your route to a softer area.

Fifth, consider changing your CARDIO CYCLE (how often you do what types of exercise). You can still do Cardio everyday (or almost everyday) as you like. Just minimze the impact cardio. Instead of running, get on an elliptical trainer. Take a bike ride once a week. Swim. Anything that lets you get the heart rate up without pounding on your shins until your body has a chance to strech the calves out again and reduce the swelling in your shins.

Finally, RICE is the doctor approved method for recovery. RICE works (Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation). Ice your shins for a couple minutes every night and elevate them above your heart while watching TV or sleeping.

Want to know more about foot care and reducing or preventing injuries? Read Chapters 8 and 9 in GET SELECTED FOR SPECIAL FORCES available from the Special Operations Warrior Foundation at http://www.specialops.org/news.asp#book
JM
warrior-mentor.com

RGR, SF, MFF JM
RS 6-92 (09Mar-15May2002)
3/7 SFG(A) 1997-2001
USAJFKSWCS 2001-Present

Return to “About Army Physical Training”