Nuke that slick

News posted by members of this site. If you want to publish your own article or have something of value for the front page please indicate it as such.
Before posting make sure it hasn't already been posted. Write a concise and pertinent intro if you are going to post here.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
Check for duplicates before posting, otherwise post it in the original thread. If you want to post an article of your own or find it significant for the front page please let us know. Rangers Lead the Way
Chiron
Ranger

Nuke that slick

Post by Chiron »

As BP prepares to lower a four-story, 70-ton dome over the oil gusher under the Gulf of Mexico, the Russians — the world’s biggest oil producers — have some advice for their American counterparts: nuke it.
Komsomoloskaya Pravda, the best-selling Russian daily, reports that in Soviet times such leaks were plugged with controlled nuclear blasts underground. The idea is simple, KP writes: “the underground explosion moves the rock, presses on it, and, in essence, squeezes the well’s channel.”

Full story

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two or three days ago the dom failed. Anyone have any news?
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Re: Nuke that slick

Post by K.Ingraham »

Any resemblance between Pravda and journalism is coincidental. I'm surprised that they didn't suggest that we ask the aliens in Area 51 for their input.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

Or they could try this:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Seriously!!
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

Looon wrote:Or they could try this:

Seriously!!
Great idea if it were a spill. It's not a spill, the oil is leaking from the well at the ocean floor to the tune of 210,000 gallons a day. They already made an attempt at capping the well with concrete block 7 stories tall. Remember when oil wells on land burst and they put them out with nitro glycerin? Same theory with a small nuke, the hard part is that the well is a far under water.

Any thoughts?
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

I don't think anyone living near the coast would condone this idea. But I will volenteer Greece to be the next nuclear testing ground. You are ok with that right?
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by hobbit »

Chiron wrote:

Seriously!!
Great idea if it were a spill. It's not a spill, the oil is leaking from the well at the ocean floor to the tune of 210,000 gallons a day. They already made an attempt at capping the well with concrete block 7 stories tall. Remember when oil wells on land burst and they put them out with nitro glycerin? Same theory with a small nuke, the hard part is that the well is a far under water.

Any thoughts?
I think they should let the greenies deal with the problem. Let them do something besides bitch and moan for a change.

Anyway, "put them out with nitro glycerin". Those are surface wells that're burning. This one is underwater. It's not burning. The nuke idea as I understand it, is to make the shaft collapse in on itself cutting off the flow of oil between the substrate reservoir and the point at the bottom Gulf where it's leaking. If the Russians have used this method and are successful with it, let's invite them over to deal with this thing.
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. -Albert Einstein
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

Baseplate wrote:I don't think anyone living near the coast would condone this idea. But I will volenteer Greece to be the next nuclear testing ground. You are ok with that right?
Does that have anything to do with Turkey buying nuclear weapons from Russia? It's in the news here today.
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
---------
George S. Patton
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

hobbit wrote:
Chiron wrote:

Seriously!!

Any thoughts?
I think they should let the greenies deal with the problem. Let them do something besides bitch and moan for a change.

Anyway, "put them out with nitro glycerin". Those are surface wells that're burning. This one is underwater. It's not burning. The nuke idea as I understand it, is to make the shaft collapse in on itself cutting off the flow of oil between the substrate reservoir and the point at the bottom Gulf where it's leaking. If the Russians have used this method and are successful with it, let's invite them over to deal with this thing.
Yes correct. The thing we must ensure is that on the surface they place all the boats that are involved in saving the envirement so they can tell us if it worked. You know like green piece and things like that. :D
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
---------
George S. Patton
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

goddamn, Mr. runaway submit button!
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
RANGER513
Ranger

Post by RANGER513 »

K.Ingraham wrote:Any resemblance between Pravda and journalism is coincidental. I'm surprised that they didn't suggest that we ask the aliens in Area 51 for their input.

OPSEC VIOLATION !!!

Vote to ban !!! :twisted:
C Co 2/75
1986 - 1992
RS Class 9-87

RLTW

" The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena............ "

Return to “The News Dump”