Ak build

Rifles, Machineguns, Mortars, etc...
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Re: Ak build

Post by KW Driver »

I played with a picatinny tubed AK at a shop. can't remember what else they did to it, but that fucker was ridiculously front heavy, without optics.

it's a good shop and the clerk said there was only one country's design that could take a railed tube, so far from aftermarket support. don't remember who's, so good luck with that. but I did have Albanian Army in Iraq who were running Eotecs on theirs.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

You know Dog Eater, the nice thing about an AK is it's lack of bells and whistles.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
dbmtrman
Ranger

Post by dbmtrman »

If God wanted the AK to be upgradable, he would have let the Commies win the Cold War.
RLTW!
RS 4/85
B Co. 1/75 84-86, HAAF
HQ 11 SFG (USAR) 86-87

"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel
krm375
Ranger

Post by krm375 »

Try Blackheart International. They have some decent AK upgrade kits and examples of a SOPMOD type AK
Bco 1st platoon, Weapons Squad, 1st Squad, Bco Training, 3/75 93-00
VengefulIcebox
Tadpole

Post by VengefulIcebox »

Embryo DEC,

As already mentioned, Ultimak AK link is how the optics you've seen are likely mounted over the gas tube. The ultimak is a bit tedious and time consuming to get it mounted properly. But once the mounting straps are cinched in, it's solid. Read the directions all the way through. :wink:
There's several Red Dot versions out there. Aimpoint T-1 or H-1 seem to be the most sought after. They're just expensive versus some of the hunting versions by other manufacturers.

Krebs has some AK custom parts that are an improvement, like the improved safety lever. Some of the stuff on the site seems more of a distraction. That's just my opinion. Krebs AK parts link.

You may have a intended use for the mag release extension. If so don't give up looking I'm sure there is one out there. I've seen, and practiced just using the fresh magazine as the 'knocker' to release and swipe the inserted magazine away from the rifle. There's video on youtube of it in practice, I'm at work and cannot search youtube now, or I would post it for you. Basically training may overcome the need for a extended release. Other conditions unknown to me may force you to replace it anyway. I'm not trying to dissuade you from replacement, just offering a technique versus mechanical answer.

An AK100 full stock is probably the most sturdy folder made. It requires a specific solid block to be placed into the rear of the receiver, replacing the existing one your rear stock is attached to now. You may have a local gunsmith familiar with this exchange. If not, Jim Fuller at Rifle Dynamics, Las Vegas, NV link can do it. The guy is a small shop and extremely booked up. It's the only place I can recommend though.

I haven't found any aftermarket companies at the quality and/or inventiveness level of LaRue that build AK stuff. I believe it's that the AK market in the US is civilian based, and small in comparison to AR / M4 sales, which is huge, encompassing civ, LE and .gov.

AK's brilliance and durability rests in it's simplicity. Sounds like you are just searching for the basics which is great. Enjoy the rifle no matter what you add to it or not. I hope some of the info above is helpful. Good luck.
War is cruelty. There's no use trying to reform it, the crueler it is the sooner it will be over.
-William Tecumseh Sherman
deathtaco
Tadpole

Post by deathtaco »

DEC,

I second the ultimak. I have a railed tube from them and put an EOTech on it for my dad (bad eyesight), and the thing is sturdy. AK still fires well and no issues of it coming loose. Be careful with the stock exchanges, a lot of the AK's back blocks are a PITA to change out with a new stock (but guessing you have a solid furniture stock since it's a Rommy, should be ok then).

Ultimak makes both upper/lower rails for the gas tube/hand guard. Looks ugly but eh - it's an AK.
"To lead, you must first learn to follow."
GoldCoast
Ranger/Matchmaker

Post by GoldCoast »

Here's one like you are talking about - the Ultimak rail works fine. The stock was a bitch to get on properly. Putting an EOTECH on the rail makes the front very heavy and changes your cheek to stock weld. If you're not gonna be jumping out of airplanes or swimming around with it I would go for a smaller, lighter and cheaper red dot in lieu of the EOTECH. The parts to make one like this are around $350, plus the cost of the donor rifle.
IMG_2610.jpeg
HHC 2/75 (1998- 2000)

Duty a mountain; Death a feather.

One of these days I'll start off slow...
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

Flesh Thorn wrote:You know Dog Eater, the nice thing about an AK is it's lack of bells and whistles.
Amen Brother! I got one just so I could throw it in the bottom of my gun locker with a couple of thousand rounds and 10 banana clips and not think about it or clean it until I needed it. Well, I doubt I'll ever need it, but should the zombies get frisky, it'll be ready!
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
C-MAC
USAF Veteran

Post by C-MAC »

Try finding a POSP 8x42 Russian Scope/mount for AK. The commies made it specifically for that weapon.

If not, buy a damn M4, SR-15 or SR-25 if your that stuck on 7.62.

And I am anticipating the remark on why anyone would take shooting advice from a zoomie. So take your best shot, so to speak.
If you want to be successful at anything, you'll need to develop a never quit attitude. Don't let life happen to you. Grab it by the throat and make life dance to your tune.
Ranger KW Driver

Return to “Weapons of War”