Importance of swimming ability?

Experiences of those who wear/wore the scroll.
Roasting
Soldier

Importance of swimming ability?

Post by Roasting »

How important is a soldier's swimming ability while in Regiment? I know there is the combat swim test in RIP, but is this a skill that is called upon often while in training and missions?

And, in case any Rangers know, are SF soldiers required to be expert swimmers?
penetra le tenebre
Ranger2

Post by Ranger2 »

I can't believe that you can't find an answer to that without asking?

Ranger2
Roasting
Soldier

Post by Roasting »

Ranger Ranger2 - I searched all forums for "swimming" and this is about the only relevant thread I found: http://www.armyranger.com/bb/viewtopic. ... t=swimming
penetra le tenebre
Bugsy
Ranger

Post by Bugsy »

Although I'm sure that's been answered before, it is still a good question. The ability to be a strong swimmer or a swimmer of decent ability is critical for the needs of any Ranger Bn. During river crossings or any situation that requires water as either an insertion point or an obstacle of some kind, the ability to overcome that obstacle or use it to our advantage from a strategic standpoint cannot be over-emphasized.

Because of security issues I will not comment on how often or the methods in which we trained while I was at Regiment. However I will indicate that all Rangers must display an ability to be extremely versatile in their skills and physical abilities primarily because of the necessity to adapt at a moments notice to the environment and terrain in which we find ourselves in during the execution of an objective.

For example if a Ranger is unable to navigate a water obstacle (that he would normally be expected to handle efficiently), he may in fact compromise the mission or jeopardize the completion and success of the mission altogether.

In essence.... yes it is important. We are not however "required" to be expert swimmers. You should have the ability to be catagorized as a "strong swimmer". If you believe that your swimming ability could use some improvement, I would suggest that you go to your local YMCA (if available) or practice/receive instruction somewhere so that you can satisfactorily maintain the standards that we deem are necessary to become a member of our unit.

Good luck.
1984 - 1985 5th Inf Div
1985 - 1986 75th Inf Ranger Regt
1986 - 1988 3/12 SFG (ABN)

The strength of the pack is the Wolf... and the strength of the Wolf is the pack... :twisted:
Roasting
Soldier

Post by Roasting »

Ranger BeadleBug - in fact that is exactly what I did last week. As somewhat embarassing as it was, I signed up for private swimming lessons at the local Y. I was able to get discounted membership for being a college student, but the classes will run me $85. (Just hope I don't have to be in the pool at the same time as the expert 12-yr olds!)

Thank you for the information.
penetra le tenebre
Bugsy
Ranger

Post by Bugsy »

Roasting wrote:Ranger BeadleBug - in fact that is exactly what I did last week. As somewhat embarassing as it was, I signed up for private swimming lessons at the local Y. I was able to get discounted membership for being a college student, but the classes will run me $85. (Just hope I don't have to be in the pool at the same time as the expert 12-yr olds!)

Thank you for the information.
Who gives a shit about the 12 year olds, the only shame you should have is if you didn't have the guts to do what you need to do in order to adequately "prepare" yourself. You did the right thing, it takes a real man to admit his weaknesses and set a course to improve upon them!

To not do so in the face of those weaknesses is in essence tantamount to being a coward and WEAK!!! As you progress in preparation for basic/AIT, Airborne School & THE BIG RIPPER, you will find many people along the way claim they "want-to-be" a U.S. Army Ranger, but as you get closer and closer to that objective you will find that more and more of those who claimed in the beginning that this is what they wanted to do, will start to change their minds, and come up with every slug ass excuse that you have ever heard.

ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS, I always listen to what a person say's and then I WATCH WHAT THEY DO. You young man are DOING THE RIGHT THING!

If you want to be a U.S. Army Ranger and you realize that you need to improve upon a necessary skill set, THEN DO WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO AND DRIVE ON TO MEET THAT OBJECTIVE!!!

Keep making those good decisions because it will pay off in the end. That's what leaders do, they make sound decisions, sometimes good, sometimes bad, but they make decisions that they believe will accomplish a goal or achieve a necsessary objective!
1984 - 1985 5th Inf Div
1985 - 1986 75th Inf Ranger Regt
1986 - 1988 3/12 SFG (ABN)

The strength of the pack is the Wolf... and the strength of the Wolf is the pack... :twisted:
RGR W. Beals
Ranger

flutter kicks

Post by RGR W. Beals »

Do flutter kicks until your ass bleeds buttermilk!
RGR School class 2/77. A/NCOIC RIP 2/75th
A/2/75 from 11/75 to 7/79
Roasting
Soldier

Post by Roasting »

Roger that, Ranger BeadleBug and Ranger W. Beals
penetra le tenebre
AngryPistols
US Army Veteran

Re: flutter kicks

Post by AngryPistols »

RGR W. Beals wrote:Do flutter kicks until your ass bleeds buttermilk!
Now that's a new one to me Ranger Beals. Bwahahah, he says 'ass bleeds buttermilk'!!! :twisted:
Angry

USA 95B 84-87, TXARNG 91B 88-89, CIV 89-present

"Yet each man kills the thing he loves, some do it with a bitter look, some with a flattering word, the coward does it with a kiss, and the brave man with the sword. " -Oscar Wilde

Return to “75th Ranger Regiment Public Forum”