Tax Time! Had to return my $250 stimulus!

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

panthersix
Ranger

Tax Time! Had to return my $250 stimulus!

Post by panthersix »

I used Turbo Tax and I file electronically, but the Federal Gubment wouldn't accept my return unless I paid back my Disabled Veteran check of $250 from last year.

Anyone else feel like they were screwed on this deal?
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Re: Tax Time! Had to return my $250 stimulus!

Post by Ranger Bill »

What the govenment gives, it can take away. Just wait until we get health care.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

I didn't get that one, but if I recall most of these mi-year checks are only advances on your refund. What I don't get is why don't they just deduct if from your return amount?
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

RangerX wrote:I didn't get that one, but if I recall most of these mi-year checks are only advances on your refund. What I don't get is why don't they just deduct if from your return amount?
The Turbo Tax explanation window said that there was less withholding taken out as a result of the Economic Stimulus Act to put a bit more cash in your paycheck. Now they want that cash back and it killed any hopes I had for a refund. I may have to get an accountant next year as I don't think the computer programs can keep up anymore!
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

panthersix wrote:
RangerX wrote:I didn't get that one, but if I recall most of these mi-year checks are only advances on your refund. What I don't get is why don't they just deduct if from your return amount?
The Turbo Tax explanation window said that there was less withholding taken out as a result of the Economic Stimulus Act to put a bit more cash in your paycheck. Now they want that cash back and it killed any hopes I had for a refund. I may have to get an accountant next year as I don't think the computer programs can keep up anymore!
99% of those Tax Monkeys use a computer program that is pretty much the same as what you get at home. The big difference is that their ass isn't on the line if they screw up the numbers.

If you go to a CPA, you will likely see almost no return, as it will end up going to them.

I used to think my taxes were complicated due to owning a rental property and having some investing fun. After going to a CPA one year and then taking a look at what was on the return, I realized that I had pissed away several weeks worth of beer money.

that said, I am fairly conservative with my taxes. I don't do any aggressive deducting, I just hit the high points and get what I think is fair. I personally use TaxActOnline, but I've heard that most of the online/personal resources are about the same, i.e. TurboTax.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
BonesC75RVN
Ranger

Post by BonesC75RVN »

Ranger Bill wrote:What the govenment gives, it can take away. Just wait until we get health care.
Yeppers, that about says it all. I did not stay in the service for three reasons.

1. I did not want my government making decisions for all my actions. 8)
2. I wanted to fold my underwear any way I want. :evil:
3. Growing hair seems to be the only way I can gain weight. :lol:
BonesC75RVN
Charlie Ranger 75th, RVN 70-71
82nd Airborne, 1/504th, 71-72
Overseas Construction Worker 83-08
"If you ain't standing out here on the edge, you must be just taking up space"
42L5V
Ranger

Post by 42L5V »

My fed tax return was rejected for the same reason.

Last year (2009 tax year) I noticed that my federal witholdings on my retirement pay went down to just a couple of dollars. Both were a part of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (Stimulus bill). It was designed to put more cash in the hands of penioners to boost spending. Like that friggin worked. No one is going to spend in a down economy, they pay down debt or hoard money.
MSG, U.S. Army, 1987-2007
RSClass 10-92
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

42L5V wrote:Last year (2009 tax year) I noticed that my federal witholdings on my retirement pay went down to just a couple of dollars. Both were a part of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (Stimulus bill). It was designed to put more cash in the hands of penioners to boost spending. Like that friggin worked. No one is going to spend in a down economy, they pay down debt or hoard money.
Joe, I had the same experience. Once more we are punished for being too successful. George Orwell had it right.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

I am fairly conservative with my taxes. I don't do any aggressive deducting
Yea, I used to do that too which resluted in the IRS beating me like a rented mule, getting audited, and in one year, having to pay an additional (hold your breath) $61,000. Now, I hired a meat eating, law scrutinizing, fanged warrior for an accountant who pushes every deduction to the limit. I save every receipt, document everything. Every bullet, every target, every trip, and even the dog food for the property watch dogs. I figure, if they are gunna call me on the carpet anyhow, they are going to work for it next time. And then BHO took office and Hillary made her stupid comments about redistribution and my attitude changed HUGE. I will deduct everydamned thing the law allows and then pay Ceasar what is Ceasars.
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

I hired a meat eating, law scrutinizing, fanged warrior for an accountant who pushes every deduction to the limit.

what's her name?
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

panthersix wrote:I hired a meat eating, law scrutinizing, fanged warrior for an accountant who pushes every deduction to the limit.

what's her name?
He met her in a parking lot, seems she was drawn in by the manliness of Andy's truck.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’

Return to “The Mosh Pit”