Arch Pain

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
Liquid Confusion
Embryo

Arch Pain

Post by Liquid Confusion »

A better description would be a tearing pain in my left arch.

I went out last night to get some time in rucking, and early into it I started to have this pain. I have had this pain before when rucking but it tended to go away or at least subside. Last night though it started early and never really went away. It is only in my left foot and only in the arch but its a hell of a pain, literally feels like my arch is tearing.

Now I dont get it when running or walking or even playing basketball, seem to only get it when rucking with weight. After looking some thru google I wonder if I have falling arches or the start of flat feet but why would it only be in one foot?

Anyway can i just put a arch support in my shoe and be done with it? or should I see a doctor? I really do not want to be finding new medical issues as I will be going to MEPS soon.
Bugsy
Ranger

Post by Bugsy »

If I were you I'd go see a podiatrist quickly. More than likely you've been overdoing it, your shoes/boots are inappropriate or your arches need support because you have "fallen arches".

At one point while I was in I had fallen arches and was fitted with plastic orthotic inserts that I put in my jungle boots, eventually the pain went away (but it took some time) however I could hump my ruck on road marches without feeling like every step I took was like somebody stabbing the bottom of my foot, so you will experience some measure of immediate relief.

Here's a link that may help you out.

http://www.ourfootdoctor.com/orthoses.shtml. Don't procrastinate on this one, go get it checked out as soon as you can "Prior" to when you report.

Good luck. :wink:
1984 - 1985 5th Inf Div
1985 - 1986 75th Inf Ranger Regt
1986 - 1988 3/12 SFG (ABN)

The strength of the pack is the Wolf... and the strength of the Wolf is the pack... :twisted:
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

I'm not going to lie an say I'm a Doc, but I had a similar injury a couple years ago. Mine turned out to be plantar fasciitis. This is where the ligaments that go from your heel to your toes become torn. I hope that's not your problem. Mine took an entire year to heal and I had to wear a boot cast for a portion of that time.

Here is a link to more info (this site claims that the pain is usually in the heel....mine was in the arch):
http://www.aafp.org/afp/990415ap/2200.html
RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
Liquid Confusion
Embryo

Thanks for the help Ranger BeadleBug and Ranger EarthPig, I called the doc today and hope to see a podiatrist next week. Of course my luck, recruiter calls me today and I go to MEPS mon. afternoon. Shouldnt be a issue though, unless they have added a 12 mile roadmarch in the MEPS physical. :)
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

Doc wrote: Well, well, well...listen to you. :wink: All of that schoolin', next thing you know you'll be spellin' EMT!

Check Six,
Doc
Wasn't trying to cut into your action, Bro.....just thought I'd throw out a possiblity. :wink:
RLTW
EP
CCG
Ranger

Post by CCG »

LC, try this. Fill a small-sized gatorade bottle up with water. Place in freezer. After the entire bottle in frozen place under your foot and begin to roll b & f. Do this before and after any activity. Also, place newspaper on the floor and start to bunch it up with your feet, flatten, and repeat. This will strengthen your feet.

P.S. If you do or did go to the doctor please post about the results or PM me. I want to learn also.
A co. 3rd Plt. 2/75 1997-2001

I stand behind everything I post. If that does not work for you... look me up!

Baghdad
Ranger2

Post by Ranger2 »

EarthPig wrote:I'm not going to lie an say I'm a Doc, but I had a similar injury a couple years ago. Mine turned out to be plantar fasciitis. This is where the ligaments that go from your heel to your toes become torn. I hope that's not your problem. Mine took an entire year to heal and I had to wear a boot cast for a portion of that time.

Here is a link to more info (this site claims that the pain is usually in the heel....mine was in the arch):
http://www.aafp.org/afp/990415ap/2200.html
RLTW
EP
I had a friend who had that, painful shit but while they were treating him for that I told him to get arch supports and the pain went away. Flat feet and arch supports are the cure for many foot injuries. Make sure you get good ones.

Ranger2
Ranger2

Post by Ranger2 »

These wannabees are getting hurt even before they face the hard stuff. I would imagine it is because they weren't in shape to begin with. See how all those video games help your body, they don't. If you get outside and play sports once in awhile you won't develop injuries from not having any physical activity for 18 years and then trying to be a soldier.

I was pretty lucky as a Ranger as the only injury I ever had was a twisted knee from a jump.

Ranger2
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

I was in very good shape (for an old fart) when I developed it....running 7-8 miles/ day plus 90 minute weight-lifting routine. I still don't know how I got it...I assume from running.

To this day I wear sports inserts in my shoes. I switched to New Balance for running shoes, as they are highly recommended by doctors for plantar faciitis. I'm convinced that good shoes are part of the key to keeping healthy feet. The ones from WallyWorld just don't cut the mustard.

RLTW
EP
Ranger2

Post by Ranger2 »

I was told you should switch shoes every 500 miles if you have healthy feet. Otherwise it is something like every 400 miles. Good shoes is the key. I finally bought good ones after settling for average one. What a difference. Right now I am running 20-25 miles per week and those shoes are the difference. Though it was still hard paying $115 for a pair of running shoes.

There was a NBA player this year who had the same injury and had to miss 1/4 of the season because of it.

Ranger2
Liquid Confusion
Embryo

Roger that Ranger CCG

I see the podiatrist Mon. morning, will post up what he tells me.
Liquid Confusion
Embryo

All hail Ranger Earthpig

He called it. Though it may have been my inablitly to properly identify my trouble, as the Doctor was one of the prettiest Doc's I've ever seen, and I was conflicted by the bad bad thoughts in my head and trying to explain my iddy widdy boo boo. :)

Serioulsy though, she said it was plantar fascitis, gave me some stretches motrin and said lots o ice. AND I get my own orthotics! She did not seem to think it was that serious though, or at least yet. Said the tendon was probably was just inflamed, tight maybe a little overworked and that care, and some support should fix it up.

So I got some retail arch supports till I get my orthotics, and hopefully will not have this problem anymore. Thank you for the help Rangers I am glad I went to see a Doctor. I probably would have just tried to suck it up and fucked myself up worse.
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

Liquid Confusion wrote: I probably would have just tried to suck it up and fucked myself up worse.
Exactly. That is what I did. I found that if I could gut it out for the first two miles, the pain would stop (it went numb) and I could runa another 5 miles or so. I "gutted it out" like that for almost 2 months. By the time I got it checked out, there were big bleeding areas that showed up all over the xray. From that point, it took a full year to get my foot back to 100%.

You did the right thing by not trying to gut it out and by seeking a doctor's advice early. Glad to hear that you caught it in time.

So, if I ever re-injure my foot, is your doctor taking new patients?? :lol: How come I never get the cute female docs?

RLTW
EP

Return to “Medical Issues”