SITREP for Praetorian

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Praetorian
Future Soldier

SITREP for Praetorian

Post by Praetorian »

Rangers,

First I Just want to say thanks to all the Rangers on this board and Ranger Jim for taking the time to speak with me over the months I've been apart of this board. This board is full of information and is great for civilians like me who are on their path to joining the Army.

I am headed to MEP's (again) to sign and be sworn in this wednesday, I am signing an 11x option 4 contract with a few other bonuses attached such as loan repayment and e4. My dream to be apart of the Rangers is still there, I am still training daily thinking of my future service and hopefully Ranger School and/or RASP. But for now this is my contract and my way to serve this great nation. I will not give up on my dreams and this is the route that will give me the best opportunity to prove myself and have my chance at being a Ranger. One last note, a recruiter at the station has stated he will make a few phone calls and let some people know I am seeking RASP (he was in third batt) and if I do well at boot camp I can get in. Thank you again and I'm headed to the gym, got work to do.

-Mike

edit: It has been about 6months since I first started waiting for an option 40 and the recruiter at my station who served with 3rd batt sat me down and explained this was the best route for me to take to reach my goals...rather than sitting on my civilian butt for another 6months. I will get there and join the ranks of great men like the Rangers on this board.
Reiver
Ranger

Re: SITREP for Praetorian

Post by Reiver »

Lad,

I'm just an OLD knuckle-dragger, but (the expected "but") feel that if you hold firm, you'll acquire what you desire.

Don't know much about 3/75, except for the Lad's I worked with in 1993. Might this Recruiter be available for discussions via this forum...or AKO?
V/R...Reiver sends

Course 5-78
B/2-75th INF, 1976-79
Ft Bragg, NC, 1981-2006
Praetorian
Future Soldier

Post by Praetorian »

Ranger Reiver,

It is more than likely if I waited x amount of time I would obtain an option 40. I will ask the recruiter if he is aware of this forum, I will be going in Monday to turn in my transcripts from college so I'll bring it up.

I'm just ready to go, I've been looking forward to this moment for so long, leaving for boot camp, getting sworn in, etc.
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

Praetorian wrote:Ranger Reiver,

It is more than likely if I waited x amount of time I would obtain an option 40. I will ask the recruiter if he is aware of this forum, I will be going in Monday to turn in my transcripts from college so I'll bring it up.

I'm just ready to go, I've been looking forward to this moment for so long, leaving for boot camp, getting sworn in, etc.

Here's my .02.

There are some young men who can only stand by and listen to the clash of spears for so long. These are our kind of people.

Good luck in your career, nothing can stop you now...just takes a bit longer.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
Praetorian
Future Soldier

Post by Praetorian »

Rangers,

Late with SITREP but I've been busy, I swore in, signed and my ship date is March 24th. I can't wait and I'm staying on top of my PT so I am prepared.
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

What contract did you sign?
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Well, it's about time, Mike. Good on you. I have high expectations. Feel free to call me anytime.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Praetorian
Future Soldier

Post by Praetorian »

Lunch wrote:Was that Ranger recruiter able to do anything for you? You know what you need to do- make it happen stud. Good luck, listen and learn from those who will teach and lead you, work hard, and kick ass.
Ranger Lunch,

The recruiter did make the phone call to his contact and informed me he would make another phone call towards the end of OSUT so that the cadre will at least have my name in their head. I'm not counting on this of course but I'm just going to give it everything I got and I know I'll get my chance.

Ranger Bill wrote:What contract did you sign?
Ranger Bill,

I signed an 11x option 4 contract.

Jim wrote:Well, it's about time, Mike. Good on you. I have high expectations. Feel free to call me anytime.
Ranger Jim,

Will do, thank you.

Also when I spoke with the lady doing the actual paperwork she was on the phone trying to find out her state taxes, which I thought was weird as I'm discussing the most important move in my life to date. But it worked as as she tried to say loan repayment wasn't available, so when she was talking again on the phone about taxes I told her I have bills to so how about help me out with loan repayment and she ended up getting it.
Praetorian
Future Soldier

Post by Praetorian »

Rangers,

Leaving in two weeks for Benning, very excited. I recently found out a friend from highschool will be at Benning the same time as me...small world after all. Anyways I am very excited and just wanted to say thanks again to all the Rangers on this board and now it's time to see if I have what it takes to join the ranks.

-Mike
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Mike,
Time flies. Feel free to give me a call anytime. Never, never quit!
Jim
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Praetorian
Future Soldier

Post by Praetorian »

Rangers,

Just wanted to do a quick update as my parents are visiting for family day and have a computer. I just graduated the boot camp portion of OSUT and I've been here a total of 10weeks so far including the processing week. I shot expert at BRM and I also shot expert at combat rifle marksmanship (new program they were saying). The combat rifle marksmanship was targets that you had to shoot multiple times for them to fall, I shot 13/15 targets there. I also did well on moving targets but that was not recorded sadly. My PT has been going good, I scored a 300 on my last test getting 85 pushups, 81 situps, 13:00 2mile run so I'm happy but I'm excited to get into the extended score during AIT as they didn't bother telling me my extended score during boot. I also did very well in GFT (ground fighting techniques) and I one of the ten from my platoon to take the final clinch drill against the drill sergeants so I'm excited.

Other than that I'm happy, proud to be here and the ruck marches are tough but I'm giving it my best and improving. I've been platoon guide as well and our last 10 mile ruck march the DS had me run up and down the line for 4-5miles (lost count) making sure the men were keeping intervals and pulling in fallouts. So that ruck kicked my butt but I finished and the only advice I have is take care of your feet...those bad boys are your lifeline I found out very quickly =).

Thanks Rangers and I'll be back sometime after OSUT or Airborne.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Good SITREP, Mike, stay in touch and never, never quit!!!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Luck = preparation + opportunity.

Looks as if you are making your own good luck, it tends to happen to those who prepare.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’

Return to “Recruitment Process”