Elbows on push-ups

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
ninjaman
Tadpole

Elbows on push-ups

Post by ninjaman »

Hello Rangers. When I don push-ups in the way that feels most natural to me, without thinking about my elbows, they generally go mostly back, but poke out to the side a little. I realized that when I hug my elbows to my side it makes them much harder than when I just let them poke out naturally. My question is: am I doing them correctly or do I need to start hugging my elbows to my side? I don't want to have to relearn the push-up later, so knowing how you guys do it in the Rangers will be much appreciated, thank you.
Romans 3:23-25

" 23 all have sinned and are deprived of the glory of God.
24 They are justified freely by his grace through the redemption in Christ Jesus,
25 whom God set forth as an expiation, through faith, by his blood, to prove his righteousness because of the forgiveness of sins previously committed."
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Re: Elbows on push-ups

Post by Flesh Thorn »

It is okay to have your elbows out from your sides a little. Make sure that they are not out too far or your upper body muscles will not be sharing the load. Also, try pulling yourself to the floor instead of just letting your body drop. Don't cheat yourself !!!
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
The Holmchicken
Ranger

Post by The Holmchicken »

I would say keeping your hands at least shoulder width apart or more (depending on what is more natural for you) and letting your shoulders move naturally through the full range of motion should be enough. If they bow out, who cares. WHat really matters is that they're breaking the plain (elbows, arms and back, when done correctly and looked at from the front should form a roughly straight line) and that you have uniform movement throughout you're body. You're body should rise and descend as one. In other words, no sagging in your lower back or knees bent.
2/75 97-00

It's not that I'm lazy........it's that I don't care

75th RRA
ninjaman
Tadpole

Post by ninjaman »

Thank you for your responses Rangers Flesh Thorn and Holm Chicken. One person told me that if I want to be a Ranger I should start doing my push-ups with elbows straight back and eyes forward...but they were not a Ranger (Infantry I believe).

24 They are justified freely by his grace through the redemption in Christ Jesus,
25 whom God set forth as an expiation, through faith, by his blood, to prove his righteousness because of the forgiveness of sins previously committed."
ninjaman
Tadpole

Post by ninjaman »

Zonk 1/75 wrote:You might be recognizing a weakness.

The tighter that the elbows are in to the body the more you are focusing on triceps, while hands wider out is focusing more on the chest……….. Work on both?

Elevate your feet to add resistance and hit the muscles from additional angles…

This sounds good. So maybedo 3 sets till faliure? (one narrow, one regular and one wide).

jwt6248
Ranger

Post by jwt6248 »

PM inbound, ninjaman.
RLTW

A co 3/75 2010-2013
RS 01-12

Former mentee to Ranger Oto-Man

Return to “About Army Physical Training”