Realistic expectations?

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
r753gs9
Embryo

Realistic expectations?

Post by r753gs9 »

Realistically, with PT 6 days a week, running every other day, how long does it take the average person to achieve Ranger physical condition. Just starting, running a 18:00 2-mile. I am not asking for a program as there are many posts related to that topic. I am trying to figure out what kind of shape I need to be in before I go to MEPS and sign a contract so that I am not wasting a slot and everyone's time. Obviously OSUT helps with conditioning but if I am to be successful at RASP, and with Option 40 slots 4-5 months out for ship dates, how long will I need to train in advance of OSUT. I understand everyone is different but if I could get some kind of idea from someone with experience I would greatly appreciate the help. I am 29, average height, average weight, high school football player, in average shape. I would like to join as soon as possible. I am a college graduate with a good job so I am not joining out of necessity, it has always been what I have really wanted for a career. Thank you in advance for your help.
Earthpig
Ranger

Re: Realistic expectations?

Post by Earthpig »

Unfortunately, there are many things which come into play, thus making that a difficult question to answer.

First, everyone is different. Some guys have a natural ability to run (do pushups, etc). Others have to work at it constantly just to maintain minimum standards. Right now, your run time sucks. You'll need to get it down around 12 minutes if you want to shine.

The type of workout you do will make a difference. Just going jogging 6 days a week isn't going to produce the results that a good running program will offer.

Since running isn't the only thing you'll need to be squared away in, you'll have to utilize a PT program that will also strengthen your upper and lower body, give you agility, and give you endurance. We have many programs discussed in the Physical Fitness Forum. I would urge you to check out the one that Nomad posted, specifically.

Along the way, you also need to be learning your General Orders, Chain of Command, etc. You also should figure in some healing time, since you're nearly thirty. If you pull a muscle or get shin splints, it's going to take your body longer to heal than a younger person.

Ultimately, it comes down to motivation and guts. We've had guys come on here and lose 100 pounds before they shipped. We've had guys trim 5 minutes off their 2-mile run. It boils down to you and the type of person you are.

Again, research the site. There are many combined decades of Ranger experience here. You just need to seek it out. If you do enlist, please let us know. AND, DO NOT SIGN ANYTHING THAT ISN'T AN OPTION 40, IF THAT'S WHAT YOU ARE SHOOTING FOR!

Good luck.

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.

Return to “About Army Physical Training”