Introduction - Rob

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

CivRob
Embryo

Introduction - Rob

Post by CivRob »

Rangers,

My name is Rob, I will be 22 in 11 days, and I am from northeast Pennsylvania. I am 6'1" and weigh in the neighborhood of 165 as I recently got over the flu (normal weight is around 175). I am a high school graduate and have worked full-time since graduation, always somewhat unsure of what I wanted to do with my life. As such, I have not attended any college courses.

Most importantly, before I continue, I would like to take the time to first thank you for your service, and also for the invaluable resources this website provides. I've always respected and honored the men and women that have made it possible for me to live a comfortable life, free from oppression, and afforded me the opportunity to basically do whatever I want in life. It turns out though, that what I want to do in life is become a part of the body of men and women that make these freedoms possible, and do my part to pass them on to more people. More specifically, I want nothing more than to be a US Army Ranger.

Joining the Army has always been a dream of mine, and over the past year or so has become more and more persistent, always tugging at me. My personal life led me to delay my dream until now, but I feel now is the time to pursue my dream. I am tired and fed up with mediocrity and anything other than the best. I'm tired of coasting and am ready to fly. I have begun contact with my local recruiter station, I am pursuing an 11x Opt40 contract, and the SSG I'm dealing with seems intent on getting me where I need to be.

Admittedly, I have a very long way to go with PT, but I have no doubt that my will to succeed and utter refusal to quit will see me through. I started PT after a year of relative inactivity (made worse by my recent bout with the flu), about two weeks ago and am making progress. I self administered a partial PT test last night and my numbers follow. I recently moved and have not found a suitable outdoor running course and I find treadmills to be a passable substitute for training, but a rather poor tool for testing, so the run is omitted:

40 pushups (the last rep may not have counted, my form was sloppy as I struggled to push it out, but I refused to drop to the floor halfway through the rep)
52 situps
9 pullups (underhanded, was away from a PC and could not recall which of the two is used for RIP/RASP)

As I said, I have much work to be done, but I am here to learn from and be motivated by you Rangers and others on this board. There is much here that can galvanize my resolve and help me push forward to my objective.

Once again, thank you, Rangers.
"If you have a strong enough WHY, you can withstand any HOW." - Unknown

Current PT: 40 pushups / 52 situps / 9 pullups / run pending
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Introduction - Rob

Post by Jim »

Rob, a man has only one opportunity to make a favorable initial impression. So far, you seem to be successful. From your note, it appears that you have been drifting, but now appear interested in serving in the Army. While you did not address the issue, would I be correct in assuming that you are going to enlist for servece in the 75th Ranger Regiment? If so, you came to the right site. We take considerable pride in the fine young men who have earned their place in the Ranger Regiment, and continue to proudly serve. Please tell us more about your ambitions and what you are doing to prepare yourself. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Welcome. Your desire to serve our country as an Army Ranger is appreciated. And yes, as far as PT goes you have a lot of work to do. The main thing is take it slow and make steady progress. Avoid injury. Injuries will set your training back, espeically shin splints. Keep us posted on progress with your recruiter and be sure to read and heed the ROE PM I have sent you.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

Rob,

Thanks for contributing to our recent run of excellent intros. We've been above the norm over the past few days, and I admit it's been a refreshing change.

Your notion to become a Ranger is a noble one, but one that will require blood, sweat, guts, and a lot of determination and motivation. You seem to be on track, although as admitted, you have plenty of work to do to prepare. You came to the right place to hone your PT, military knowledge, and other skills.

Welcome to the site.

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
CivRob
Embryo

Post by CivRob »

Ranger Jim - Thanks for the speedy reply. Yes, my goal is to serve in the 75th Ranger Regiment. I will settle for nothing less. I want to be a part of the best light infantry force in the world, and to surround myself with the best of the best. I am tired of the mediocrity of my current lifestyle, and wish for something more. Becoming a Ranger has been a goal of mine for quite some time, but I've delayed that goal in favor of certain people in my personal life. Recent events have led me to understand that I was doing things all wrong and now I am ready to work toward and attain my goal. I started PT about two weeks ago and have already doubled my pushups. Too bad the improvement curve isn't linear and my progress won't maintain that rate :) I am however confident that I have what it takes to ace my APFT before I make it to RASP. I looked over Ranger Silverback's pushup program a few months back and will start that as soon as I have reviewed it; I've heard that others in my position have had excellent results with it.

Ranger Bill - Thanks again for the welcome and the RoE PM. What you said about injuries is very good advice. I need to find the fine line between working through the pain and working to the point of injury. I also need to learn more about my body and how quickly my muscles recover. When looking for an exercise program, most people look for a program that only consumes twenty minutes a day, or so. I, on the other hand, am willing to devote hours a day to my physical preparation for what's to come. I just need to learn how much is too much, and a balance between working myself as hard as I can, and giving my body time to recover. Unfortunately, I haven't found much professional advice for programs like what I'm looking for. Regardless, I'll keep searching and experimenting on my own to see what's the best formula for Effort + Recovery Time = Results.

Ranger EarthPig - Thanks for the welcome and motivating words. I intend to take full advantage of the wisdom, motivation, and leading from the front that yourself, other Rangers on this site, and all Rangers past and present can offer me. It's my honor to be here, and I won't muck it up.

Apologies for the lengthy replies, if brevity is what was expected, Rangers. I'll knock out 20 for each one.

CivRob
Embryo

Post by CivRob »

Ranger Bill - An afterthought, which should have been posted with the message I just submitted (attention to detail; 20 more). I went to the recruiter's station today after work and filled out my pre-qual paperwork. I took home the security clearance paperwork to finish up and return to him asap, along with my personal documents. I am scheduled to go to MEPS 3Jan-4Jan2010 and will take my asvab as well as all my required physicals. My recruiter is confident in me, and feels that the guidance counselors should be able to obtain an 11x Opt40 contract for me, based on my attitude thus far with him. He also said he and his 1SG would call ahead of time to try to make it more of a certainty. I can't wait until I have it in writing in my hands. I will sign for nothing less than 11x Opt40.

CivRob
Embryo

Post by CivRob »

Ranger ZoneIV,

What I meant was I can draw inspiration from the examples that have been set forth before me. Many (well, few, if you look at the big picture) have been in my position and have risen to meet the challenge, so it's not impossible. I do want it for the right reasons, and for myself, not for anybody else. Thank you for your reply; I will not settle. I will not let myself down. Becoming an Army Ranger is within my grasp. I can. I will. I must.

Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

Unless of course the MEPs is more than two miles away over...unsuitable terrain. We can then expect it to be "omitted".

Post a full APFT to include the run within 24 hrs no fucking excuses.

And quit the "can, will, must" bullshit, it's fucking ludicrous to hear that shit from someone who "omitts" the un-suitable and can barely max the female category in push-ups.

Intro was decent but the follow-on fucking drivel is wasted on men who watch motherfuckers quit every goddamn week.

Oh yeah...welcome to the fucking site.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
CivRob
Embryo

Post by CivRob »

Roger, Ranger Kilted Heathen.

Just saw your message, will have results by end of day.

CivRob
Embryo

Post by CivRob »

Ranger Kilted Heathen,

I ran my two mile today at my old high school's track. I'll save my excuses and just give you my results. I posted an embarrassing 20 minutes. Excuses aside, I feel confident that under more favorable conditions and with a bit more practice pacing myself, I could post a 16 minute two mile. I feel that is a more accurate starting point for my abilities as of now, and I have only to improve on that. I ran a six minute mile in high school, and with some hard work I'll get back to that point. I intend to hit the treadmill tuesday to see if I am on track with my predictions and will update you at that time. Until then, or until asked for more info, I will keep my mouth shut and keep doing PT.

Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

An honest assessment. There are no more favorable conditions than a high-school track so that little bit of shit won't float. Post another two-mile time in two weeks from this date.

Oh, and those cute quotes in your sig-line...get rid of them until you stand ready in the night.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
CivRob
Embryo

Post by CivRob »

Ranger Kilted Heathen,

The unfavorable conditions I alluded to were half the track being covered in 1-1.5" of snow and half the remaining area being covered in a half inch of ice. I believe my biggest problem was my pacing. It's been a long time since I've run in this manner, so I was pacing myself quite conservatively and that was probably the biggest contributor to my poor performance. I'll do some endurance training and sprint work in the meantime and retest myself in two weeks as ordered.

Sig-line updated as per your order as well.

Thank you, Ranger Kilted Heathen.

CivRob
Embryo

Post by CivRob »

Rangers,

I met with my recruiter on lunch today to sign my medical releases for MEPS and to get squared away to go down this weekend. He said he and his station commander had called down to MEPS and option 40 is not available. They tried to sell me on 18x, which obviously sounds appealing, but I don't know what to think. I've always considered SF, but I had planned on spending a few years in Regiment before putting in an SFAS packet if I did indeed decide to take that route. Either way, I have my heart set on making it to Regiment, so I want the 11x option 40 if it is at all possible.

Judging by recent introductions on this site, I would tend to believe option 40 contracts are available if one is persistent. They said they can either get me 11x opt4 with "Ranger intent" meaning that if anyone in my OSUT class with option 40 dropped it, I'd have first crack at it (along with all the other "Ranger intent"s I'd assume), or they can guarantee me 18x.

I know it basically comes down to the guidance counselors at MEPS, so should I just go, get my physicals and ASVAB out of the way, and then if they say at MEPS they can't do it, say "Thanks for your time, I'll have my recruiter call back next week" ? Or should I delay MEPS until they can tell me ahead of time that they can make option 40 happen? I think for now I will tell my recruiter that I want 11x Opt40 and will go to MEPS to take care of my physicals and ASVAB and see if the guidance counselors "magically" find an option 40 slot.

Sorry for the rambling, Rangers, just looking for some insight or a "You're on the right track".

KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

I think it's been pretty clearly stated before, don't sign for what you don't want. if it ain't on paper with your initials next to it, it don't exist. period.

now, without any other guidance, the APFT is 2 min of push-ups, 5-10 min rest, 2 min. sit ups, 5-10 min. rest, 2 mi. run. then a min of 6 pull ups, with no body sway, fully locked out to chin clearly above the bar, to a fully locked out arm position. they are done with palms facing you. if that has changed since I've been there, someone will correct what I put down.

that should be your assessment.

there's no reason why you can't set up with your recruiter to give you one so you understand the standards. they are also posted here I'm sure. recruiters do PT and APFTs with their DEPs. you should be able to get in on one if you haven't seen it yet. having someone else knowledgeable grade you is a good thing. your recruiter will most likely grade to a lower standard than in RASP, or by a drill for that matter. ask for a hard, fair test so you know what right looks like and train to that standard.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long

Return to “Introduction Archive”