Graduate School Question

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Chris1964
Egg

Graduate School Question

Post by Chris1964 »

Rangers,
First I would like to thank everyone who as and continues to make this site such an incredible resource. The time that I have spent reading around in here has definitely solidified a whimsical desire into a concrete life goal.
I have already applied to a handful of graduate programs to hopefully work towards a PHD in physics. The problem is I want to enlist after I graduate from college and continue my education after I get back. I am wondering what would happen to any of my acceptances to graduate programs. Has anyone heard of some sort of differed acceptance for enlistment, or is this just something I will have to take up with the institutions individually?
Also I will not be available until August. When should I start working on getting an opt 40? I was planning on setting up an appointment with a recruiter this week and was wondering if that was too soon because I am looking to ship off in 8 months.
As for now I’m just planning on focusing on my school starting Ranger Silverbacks PT and thinking of a way to bring this up with my parents.
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Re: Graduate School Question

Post by Kilted Heathen »

Take it up with the VA ed counselor at your school. If fact, have your recruiter drive you there. Start this as soon as you begin the recruitment process because there's paperwork to do so don't fuck around.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

It really depends on the PhD program, whether they'll let you defer or not. State and public schools may not, private might be more apt to - especially if delaying means a sure butt in a seat and a sure paycheck courtesy of Uncle Sugar. There are a lot of factors at work, including the sorry state of the economy and the fact that grad school admissions are WAY up (since college grads can't find jobs).

Take your GRE now, apply and discuss in conjunction with getting the Option 40 lined up. When (if) you get back around to talking to the schools they'll dust off your stuff and go from there. My guess is that they will have a strong desire to bring a vet into their grad program vs. the typical long haired, BO having posers that frequest such programs.

I will say this - the window for a PhD is indefinate. The window to be a Ranger is finite. Once you decide one way or the other, commit fully.

Best of luck.
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

The 104th LRSD PA ARNG had an E-6 Team Leader with a PhD. He was quite the unusual guy, he was a 2lt in Vietnam and also did some time in Rhodesian during their war as an officer. He left the LRS to the Army Physicians Assistant school. I wish I could remember his name....our overlap at the 104th wasn't very long.
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
Chris1964
Egg

Post by Chris1964 »

Rangers,
Thank you for all your advice.I will make sure to bring this up when I meet with a recruiter tomorrow. I strongly agree with Ranger PocketKings that now is the time to sign up and see if I have what it takes. Grad school will be there in a few year my opportunity to try for the Rangers wont. Whatever I do decide to do it will be a full commitment.
Bravo57
Ranger

Post by Bravo57 »

Chris1964 wrote:Rangers,
Thank you for all your advice.I will make sure to bring this up when I meet with a recruiter tomorrow. I strongly agree with Ranger PocketKings that now is the time to sign up and see if I have what it takes. Grad school will be there in a few year my opportunity to try for the Rangers wont. Whatever I do decide to do it will be a full commitment.
It has to be. Good luck on your journey.
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

When you are as old as I am (yeah, that old), it will be good to look back and say, "I was a Ranger." That will feel a hell of a lot better than having a PhD in Physics.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Chris1964
Egg

Post by Chris1964 »

Rangers,
I went down to my recruitment office yesterday and talked with them a bit. The first recruiter I talked to told me I should try to be an officer with out question and then let me take a practice GT test. After my test the first recruiter was gone and I got some one else. He told me what that if I really wanted a shot at the 75th that I need to go the enlisted route and then if I wanted to be an officer apply after I was in. This went along with what I have been reading here and what I am planning on doing. I got a raw score of 96 on my GT practice which they said was enough to qualify for a option 40 if they could find one. As of right now they wanted to give me a APFT next month and I don't know what impact it will make on my chances of grabbing an opt 40. I am at about 50 push ups 60 situps and a 14-15 min 2 mile. From what I have read that has plenty of room for improvement. So do I take the APFT now or work on my PT for a month or so and take it then? Basically how does my performance on the APFT affect my chances of getting the contract I want?

Also I was able to get a hold of my Uncle who is a Sargent Major and was in the 75th ( He still might be but I was unclear about what exactly he is doing now) who was able to give me some advice. He told me to look into working with Signal Corps Branch. He said that when he was a recruiter for the 75th that he always had a hard time finding guys that had MOS with microwave and satellite communications experience and that they found good homes in the 75th. This seems perfect for me with my background. He was unclear about what the exact MOS I should shoot for so does any one know what type of communication MOS the 75th looks for? Also if i do go that rout do I run the risk of staying at base in front of a computer while others go out and get their boots dirty, or dose every one in the 75th get opportunities to get out there? Right now I am planning on holding out until I can get a 68W or something like a 25T with an opt 40.

Finally as I have looked around here I have read a bunch about trying to get the most benefits on your recruitment contract as possible. Can any one tell me a little bit more information about how to go about that. I don't really know too much about the benefits the army offers because frankly that is not why I am doing this. However, I don't see a reason to miss out on something I could have gotten if I would have just simply asked for it.

*Edited for spelling
Last edited by Chris1964 on December 17th, 2009, 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

The commo guys used to be known as RTOs. RTOs and Medics always went with the 11b's....
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08

Return to “Recruitment Process”