enduring for the opt. 40..

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
mikel
Embryo

enduring for the opt. 40..

Post by mikel »

okay to start I am 24 with three years exp. in emergency medicine, PT score pretty darn good... 8) and am trying for the mos 68w woth opt. 40. When I went to MEPS, the counselor laughed at me when I asked for the option 40 and said hasent heard that one in over 5 years and the only way would be if I went 11x, which the option is still available to me. I have waited almost 2 months for just the 68w mos no options. My questions to the Rangers, is : 1. If I go the 11x route I know that I can get the opt. 40, but will my current experience and cert. go to waste or will I still be able to do what I love in the military? which is the original intent of enlisting.
I have also called another recruiter in another state where my sister lives, no luck. :( If I decide to go in as a 68w could I submit a packet during AIT or am I dreaming?
mikel
Embryo

Re: enduring for the opt. 40..

Post by mikel »

Ranger, so getting a packet sent in during the start of AIT is out of the question?
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

I got "misdirected" by my recruiter, I wanted to be an SF Medic but he said "there are no slots" which is total bull shit. There are always slots for SF Medics. So I went Ranger Medic because he told me that was the easiest way to get into SF Medicine.

If I was you, I'd start calling or emailing other recruiters. You may want to use your google fu and try to find a Ranger recruiter at Bragg or something.
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

Try the search button.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
mikel
Embryo

Post by mikel »

Rangers, I have contacted another recruiter and he is trying to make the appropriate steps to get me in as a 68w w/ opt 40 , in which he is still saying it still might be impossible. I even called and talked to a medic in the 75th that was at Regimental HQ in Benning but he wasn't that helpful ...so the fight continues!
jwt6248
Ranger

Post by jwt6248 »

Mikel, I encountered similar difficulties when trying to obtain my Option 40 (as an 11X). The bottom line is don't sign ANYTHING that you don't want. Be professional, but be determined to get 68W OPT 40 and nothing less.

When I went to MEPs, the liasion told me that he called the "ROC" and that they were unable to get me what I wanted, BUT he could get me an Option 4 (airborne contract). I told him that I wanted nothing less than 11X Option 40. Long story short, my recruit station's 1SGT ended up calling his SGTMAJ, who called "Proponent" (my guess is that ROC and Proponent are one and the same), and lo and behold, that evening I was back at the hotel waiting to sign my 11X option 40 contract the next day.

My experience regarding how I fought to get my Option 40 can be found here: http://forum.armyranger.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=49908.

The important thing to remember is that if the MEPs liaison try to tell you that you can always volunteer for Airborne, then you can always volunteer for RASP while at airborne, you need to respectfully tell him that you don't want to take the chance of volunteering since it is not 100% guaranteed. Remember, be respectful, but also be adamant about procuring your 68W Option 40.

Edited for spelling errors
Last edited by jwt6248 on December 12th, 2009, 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RLTW

A co 3/75 2010-2013
RS 01-12

Former mentee to Ranger Oto-Man
mikel
Embryo

Post by mikel »

Rangers, Another unsuccessful trip to MEPS and they offered me the 11x with option 4 , I refused in a polite manner and then another recruiter from the station called me up on my cell and called me a liar and a schemer for going back to MEPS and not signing... :oops: got me hot for a sec.
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

bwahaha! a recruiter calling a potential enlistee a liar! It's usually the other way around!

Get his name and rank because that's unsat behavior for a recruiter. Congressmen want to know that too....
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Stick to your guns, you'll get it eventually.Regiment never has all the medics it needs, it is just a matter of timing. Someone in the pipeline tying up an Opt.40 will certainly punk out any day now, certainly over Christmas leave.
In the meantime, learn how to post in proper English and ditch the textspeech. Clear & concise communication is critical in Ranger operations, as it should be in EMS.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
mikel
Embryo

Post by mikel »

Rangers, I was replying from my phone coming from MEPS. When I arrived at the recruiter station the recruiter continued with the harrasment and got up in my face and told to me to get my broke a$$ out of his recruiting station and told me I was wasting his time and the Army's. I really wanted to knock him on his butt. I told him that he has a personal problem with me and am going to switch recruiters and he told me that he would tie up my paper work and he would have bad mouth me to any recruiter I go to.... I need some advice and not exactly sure how to handle this... :?: :?:
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

mikel wrote:Rangers, I was replying from my phone coming from MEPS. When I arrived at the recruiter station the recruiter continued with the harrasment and got up in my face and told to me to get my broke a$$ out of his recruiting station and told me I was wasting his time and the Army's. I really wanted to knock him on his butt. I told him that he has a personal problem with me and am going to switch recruiters and he told me that he would tie up my paper work and he would have bad mouth me to any recruiter I go to.... I need some advice and not exactly sure how to handle this... :?: :?:
Names & duty stations.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Please get me his name and station; you can send a PM if you wish. I think we can reduce bad behavior.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867

Return to “Recruitment Process”