pistol for the little lady?

Rifles, Machineguns, Mortars, etc...
Baseplate
Ranger

Re: pistol for the little lady?

Post by Baseplate »

I really really like the PX4. Are you sure you want a .45?
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
psouper
Ranger Mom

Post by psouper »

I would let her choose her own gun, to make sure the trigger is an easy reach, etc.
1/75 Mom
Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

The PX-4 has a very easy slide plull which for many women is needed. When I sold firearms the PX-4 was the semi-auto I would go to first for beginner female shooters. I never heard any complaints from any Beretta product except for our beat up M-9s that had been in battalion for 10 years
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

Everyone has an opinion about "the right one". I would advise you not choose it for her. Let her hold, shoot, and decide which works best. Simple=good. Able to manipulate it easily=good. Able to hit targets well=good.

CZ Duty, XD's, Glocks, ect....some damned fine weapons out there. But the best is the one she can pull, engage, and be lethal with.
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

Rock Island Ranger wrote:Everyone has an opinion about "the right one". I would advise you not choose it for her. Let her hold, shoot, and decide which works best. Simple=good. Able to manipulate it easily=good. Able to hit targets well=good.

CZ Duty, XD's, Glocks, ect....some damned fine weapons out there. But the best is the one she can pull, engage, and be lethal with.

Word
hang it, FIRE!!!!

myherosgal
Tadpole

Post by myherosgal »

This is a little delayed and I'm not sure if you have bought a handgun for your fiance yet but I wanted to give my .02 from a girls point of view.

I am very small girl and my first handgun was my XD .40. It's easy to shoot, the grip fits my tiny hands very well and it's easy to take apart to clean. Unfortunately it is a compact and it was hard for me to shoot with the recoil to begin with so I went and got me a XDm 9mm. Same basic structure and I love it. I have had more practice with the .40 and now it's just as easy to shoot as the 9mm. Personally, I would start off small and go up from there but definitely let her pick it out. My husband is deployed and I keep the 9mm on my bed post and a XD .45 (the husbands pistol) in the living room. You can never have too much fire power.
-Ramia-

"If you can get out of bed in the morning, suck it up! It's gonna be a good day"
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Post by rgrokelley »

Somewhere, mainly due to Hollywood, there has been this idea that a shotgun is the ultimate home defense, especially for women. However a shotgun in a very tight situation, such as your typical room, is not going to spread out and the pattern will only be a little larger than the bore, or about 1 inch. That 1 inch is great, if you hit the target. So if you have a "double barrel" she gets two shots. Then she is out. If she is excited, and untrained, those shots could miss. Meanwhile a pistol has more than two shots, no scary kick, and a lot lighter.
A & C Company, 3rd Ranger Battalion 1984-1986
2/325, 82nd Airborne 1979-1984
F Company, 51st LRSU 1986-1988
5th Special Forces Group 1989-1995
3rd Special Forces Group 1997-1999
RS - DHG 5-85
medicchick
DSOTYR - Ranger Wife

Post by medicchick »

Just keep in mind, if she doesn't like it, she won't use it. I know a women who wanted a certain pistol (in pink :roll: ), and her husband didn't listen and got her what HE wanted. It's never used because she doesn't want/like it. I received a HK USP .45C for a wedding present, but after shooting an Expert for month. I like the round, but most women I let shoot my gun hate it, the recoil is too much for them.

I also have a shotgun in the bedroom, but if I need to check something out downstairs, the pistol with tac light is what comes with me.
Someone needs to teach the regular Army how to make a packing list.

Supporting my DAV, one day at a time.
RRDTm3
Ranger

Post by RRDTm3 »

I got the wife an SKS with modified furniture. this was the conversation after she had learned how to shoot it

me:as long as she is sure someone is in the house, shoot thru the fucking walls in their direction.

her: thru the walls????????????????

me: trust me, thru the walls
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
Ranger Instructor 4th RTB
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

http://www.myspace.com/forcedentryrocks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I will never out rank stupid people"

Mentor to Myself
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Baseplate wrote:
Rock Island Ranger wrote:Everyone has an opinion about "the right one". I would advise you not choose it for her. Let her hold, shoot, and decide which works best. Simple=good. Able to manipulate it easily=good. Able to hit targets well=good.

Word
Word up
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

RRDTm3 wrote:I got the wife an SKS with modified furniture. this was the conversation after she had learned how to shoot it

me:as long as she is sure someone is in the house, shoot thru the fucking walls in their direction.

her: thru the walls????????????????

me: trust me, thru the walls
did you show her "The Way of the Gun" yet? :)
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
M60
Ranger

Post by M60 »

In my experience, it is best to let her choose her own firearm and caliber. My wife is somewhat recoil sensitive and finds it uncomfortable to shoot anything larger than a 9mm Parabellum. She tried and carried several different pistols and calibers over the years, including a Beretta 92 compact, a SIG P232, a Glock 19 and currently she carries a Walther PPS in 9mm. It is flat, compact and totally reliable with her carry ammunition (Double Tap 124gr HP).

M60
1/75 Co. A, 2nd Plt, Weapons squad. 1975-1977

I still miss my old M-60. She was heavy and could be temperamental, but I loved that gun...

Return to “Weapons of War”