Introduction

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

Vonneguts
Embryo

Introduction

Post by Vonneguts »

Hello, my name is Dan.

I am 23 years old and am currently a senior in college. I will be attending school for a 5th year, due to my taking a double major. When I graduate, I plan on celebrating by enlisting. I considered applying for ROTC, but instead decided to go with my heart. My heart tells me to attempt to become an Army Ranger. My heart has always told me to follow this path, and I can no longer put it off.

I understand that I still have quite a while to go before I enlist, but I wish to start preparing as early as possible. I've been running, and doing various PT since last semester. I unfortunately had to stop over the summer due to an intensive work schedule. I worked construction in Pennsylvania, woke up at 6 (sometimes 5)am, grabbed a cup of coffee, and worked physical labor until 7 - 10 at night. Sleep deprivation, food deprivation and over exhaustion all entailed, and I just asked for more. While it is not a comparison to the life of what I imagine a serviceman has, it did show me how hard I can work, and how much I could take. Because when new, big burly construction workers were quitting within a few hours, due to the job being "too hard", I just thought about how, even when I wanted too, I would never quit like these guys, and that I still gave it my all and pulled through. It galvanized my desire to become something most people could not or would not become.

People are not in favor of my joining the Rangers. They are against me enlisting in the Army at all. The only one who really supports me is my fiance. She's pre-med, and faces a similar but very different hardship in her dreams. Almost all of my family is deceased, and my mother does not wish to "lose" me. I am empathetic, but I have been the pillar of strength for those around me for my entire life, but now everyone is gone, and it's time to become what I've always wished to be, I hope at least. I've researched many, many aspects of the U.S. Army and the Marines, as well as (to a lesser degree) the Air Force ( too technical, not enough gun powder in my hands) and the Navy ( too much water for me). I've always wanted to join the Regiment, but I didn't want to be a chump, and go in blind to any alternatives, or other options. After many months of research, and talking to veterans, and the occasional recruiter, I've really decided to TRY to become an Army Ranger. It is this path which my heart, and head tell me to follow. I want to lead the way, and be apart of something bigger than myself. I love this country, and the opportunities I've been afforded. I can no longer decide to sit and say thank you only in words.

I'll be researching the forums before I ask any questions, but I just wanted to introduce myself. I apologize about this long as hell post.

Thank you
- Dan
Thank you all for your service. It would be an honor to serve as you have, and do.
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Re: Introduction

Post by Ranger Bill »

Welcome. Your desire to serve our country as an Army Ranger is appreciated. But you have to remove the words "attempt" and "try" from your thought process in becoming a Ranger. "Attempt" and "try" leave the door open to quitting and "quit" is not a Ranger word. Be sure to read and heed the ROE PM I am sending you.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
Vonneguts
Embryo

Post by Vonneguts »

Ranger Bill, I do apologize. I do not think of failure as an option, but I do not wish to over estimate my abilities at this point. I overemphasis try, because everyone wants to be Rambo. I understand that I am a human being, with weaknesses and strengths. I did not want to seem cocky or arrogant, but sincere and genuine.

I have read, and re read your Private Message. Thank you, I do believe I still have what it takes, and am willing to prove it to myself, and anyone who's interested every step of the way. I am looking forward to the guidance, and the preparation that I can hopefully receive via this site, and all of the members on it.

Thank you again,

Dan.
Thank you all for your service. It would be an honor to serve as you have, and do.
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

I'm going to impose a penalty of 25 push-ups per every paragraph you write. This will remain in effect.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
Vonneguts
Embryo

Post by Vonneguts »

I can't ever shut up. I'll be in Ranger shape in two weeks if I don't cap myself.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Dan, a man has only one opportunity to make a favorable initial impression. So far, you are doing well enough. If you truly want to earn a place in the 75th Ranger Regiment, you are at the correct site. Please take the time to read all the FAQs, stickies and selected threads. The search feature is your friend; most questions have been raised and answered before. You can save yourself a lot of pain by searching first. For your initial task, please self-administer a PT test and post your results here no later than midnight, Sunday, 13 September 2009. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Vonneguts
Embryo

Post by Vonneguts »

Thank you Ranger Jim,

I am very serious in my coming here for guidance, and as mentioned to me, from this point on I will type little, and observe a lot. Unfortuneatly I have to break from my PT routine today, I am driving a few hours to support my friend, he is signing his Marine contract today, and has his friends and family (disgracefully in my opinion) trying to do anything they can to keep him from joining. I return tomorrow, where I will post my results.
RANGER513
Ranger

Post by RANGER513 »

Looks like you posted yet another paragraph, wildman. Thats 25 push-ups per The Kilted One's orders.

If you have ANY questions, concerns, or need assistance, please P.M. ( private message ) Ranger Cams. He will help ya out.
C Co 2/75
1986 - 1992
RS Class 9-87

RLTW

" The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena............ "
Vonneguts
Embryo

Post by Vonneguts »

I know that I'll have to improve 20 times over before I'm qualified, which I think I can do in the 24 months before I go.

Ok, enough bullshitting. Results in sequential order:

2 Mile Run: Approx 16 minutes on very varied - hilly ground. My stopwatch was not working, so I went by the time on my clock. I apologize for this lack of precision.

Complete overhand pull ups: 7

2 minute timed Sit-ups: 65

Complete 2 minute timed push-ups (shoulder width, thumbs pointing at each other): ... 38...

I have no excuses. I had my roommate make sure each rep I counted was complete. I don't know if this is a good (re)starting point, but it sure doesn't feel like it.

Alright Rangers, I got the Costco industrial tub of Preparation-H ready.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Not at all. You now have a baseline upon which you can improve. Now tell us more. Where, what, when, and how are you working on getting an enlistment option for the Ranger Regiment?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
boscounderfoot
Ranger

Post by boscounderfoot »

Kilted Heathen wrote:I'm going to impose a penalty of 25 push-ups per every paragraph you write. This will remain in effect.
No way!!!! Are you going soft on us?? 25, that's it??!! :shock: :? :P :lol:
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

boscounderfoot wrote:
Kilted Heathen wrote:I'm going to impose a penalty of 25 push-ups per every paragraph you write. This will remain in effect.

The little shit is ignoring me anyway so I could give two shits if he does them or not.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

Kilted Heathen wrote:
boscounderfoot wrote:

The little shit is ignoring me anyway so I could give two shits if he does them or not.
Doubt anyone could totally ignore you, Heathen. With that avatar (and its damned close to a real life picture of you) Naaaa. he didnt ignore it. Probably has nightmares about you.

You are a wordy fuck arent ya. Spect you should do those pushups suggested, cept double them.

Now, saddle up and get on with making yourself at least comensurate with your dreams. No more bloviations....get it done.
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.

Return to “Introduction Archive”