Did I ruin my chance to be Ranger?

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Blowing Chunks
Embryo

Did I ruin my chance to be Ranger?

Post by Blowing Chunks »

Im on a splitop with the NG, BCT now and AIT later. Ive completed BCT, and have recieved orders for AIT in Aug. Im curious if ive fucked myself in the opportunity to become Ranger. I did talk to a guy at my gym who served 6 months with my unit then went active with the 101st, he just got back from Iraq recently. So im assuming ill have to request a leave(I think) from the CO and request the 75th INF regt? Im really not sure how this works or if even possible. If its not ill sure and make the best with my unit.. But if so, sign me up!
Last edited by Blowing Chunks on July 11th, 2004, 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tay Depp
Soldier

Post by Tay Depp »

no, i was split op.. i dunno about if you go active if you can get a OPT 40, you will have to ask SFC hit_it. But you can recieve RIP at OSUT, you jus gotta be squared away, im shippin out tomorrow and im hopin ill get RIP down there.
"You cannot be disciplined in great things and undisiplined in small things. There is only one sort of discipline - Perfect Discipline"
-General George S. Patton Jr.
Blowing Chunks
Embryo

Post by Blowing Chunks »

I dont have anything special in my contract. The problem is most of the other guys in my unit are shipping the same time I am, so im assuming the summer surge last year is also doing AIT now, my whole Company at BCT was NG. So would they still ask for ABN/RIP volunteers to a whole bunch of NG guys? But if so, should I get permission from my unit before I volunteer?
JB
US Army Veteran

Post by JB »

You probably won't be able to do anything for 6 months AFTER comming back from AIT. So no you can't just volunteer for RIP at AIT. However, there are several things to keep in mind.

First, your commander is not obligated to release you. You signed a contact with the guard, and he can hold you to the whole term.

Second, if your battalion is scheduled for a mobilized, then you're probably already under a stop loss. In this case, you're commander doesn't even have a choice, you're staying.

The best advice I could give you is, talk to your commander and a Active Duty recrutier about your situation. If you don't get what you want out of your commander, DON'T FUCK UP and become a shitty soldier. Just wait until you get a new commander and try again. If you start fucking up, he can just put you out the easiest way for him, which isn't in your best interests.

As far as bonuses, MOS ect once you manage to get onto active duty, you'd have to ask SFC Hit It or another recruiter.
AD 1993-1998
Currently a FA Battery XO
Blowing Chunks
Embryo

Post by Blowing Chunks »

Well the NG is great for my plan I had, but this plan didnt survive contact. Thanks guys for the bad news. Ill keep my head up, out.
JB
US Army Veteran

Post by JB »

Well don't keep us in suspense, what was your plan? If you didn't notice there's tons of experience here on this site so there maybe options you haven't come up with.
AD 1993-1998
Currently a FA Battery XO
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

:?
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
Blowing Chunks
Embryo

Post by Blowing Chunks »

My plan was to use the NG for college/ROTC, and I was so gung-ho I had to join the military as soon as I was able too. I'd read over and over you can go to ABN/RIP after AIT..this and that. I didnt realise id limited myself in any way <- something I really hate doing. The reason my las post I didnt seem to upset, is because id figured the answer was no..I was a dumbass, and didnt know I was destroying my options. All I do now is go to a Recruit Training Detatchment once a month since most units around here are in Bosnia, which is a decent program. After reading these/the SOCNET forums ive been intrigued about the Rangers even more. I know this may sound pathetic but during my preperation for AIT I was running a 4 mile ability run by myself, I started sucking in the middle of mile 4, my side hurt like a bitch. So I started punching it, heh. And in my head I kept screaming ranger which gave me some inspiring chills like a really good cadence. Even though this is nothing compared to what you BTDT's have done I just felt more desire to be a Ranger. Gah, Didnt mean to get off topic.
Saltbitch

Post by Saltbitch »

barf wrote:my side hurt like a bitch. So I started punching it, heh. And in my head I kept screaming ranger which gave me some inspiring chills like a really good cadence. Even though this is nothing compared to what you BTDT's have done I just felt more desire to be a Ranger. Gah, Didnt mean to get off topic.
Those weren't 'inspiring chills'....that was shock from your liver exploding. :?
Blowing Chunks
Embryo

Post by Blowing Chunks »

Saltbitch wrote:
barf wrote:my side hurt like a bitch. So I started punching it, heh. And in my head I kept screaming ranger which gave me some inspiring chills like a really good cadence. Even though this is nothing compared to what you BTDT's have done I just felt more desire to be a Ranger. Gah, Didnt mean to get off topic.
Those weren't 'inspiring chills'....that was shock from your liver exploding. :?
That did sound a little strange..I guess that explaines my shortness of breath, Ranger Saltbitch.
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
Blowing Chunks
Embryo

Post by Blowing Chunks »

hit_it wrote::?
SFC Hit_it, what if I brought my commander a 300+ on my APFT when I come back from AIT? And just talked to him about being Ranger, JB Sir, kind of brought this to my attention.
Last edited by Blowing Chunks on July 15th, 2004, 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

MSG Hit_it

@Bragg

Return to “Recruitment Process”