Items allowed to be worn in the 75th Ranger Regiment, RSTB

Racks, Helmets, Cold Weather Gear
Caveman's_Kid
Soldier

Items allowed to be worn in the 75th Ranger Regiment, RSTB

Post by Caveman's_Kid »

Hello Rangers,
Not wanting to get the bad first impression. This is what I'm currently wearing:

ID Tags - wrapped in paracord, secured around belt loop down into back pocket
Gerber - one blunt nose, one needle nose, one on each side of the belt/waistline. (either no one has a spare for use, or putting in a radio mount requires to pliers)
Surefire flashlight - one the belt.
Benchmade 9100 SBK automatic folder - on the belt.
KIA Bracelet - right wrist (black aluminum, of a buddy I knew that isn't here anymore)
Oakley Ballistic Sunglasses - standard black, received from prior unit ordered through usstandardissue.com

First impressions are the most important, and yes I do use these items on any given day. I've heard various things and would like to get some truth in the matter as to what is allowed, or deemed acceptable for everyday wear. It may seem meaningless, but I wouldn't care if I didn't ask.

V/R,
~Christopher
"Per quislibet facultas necessarius"
~By Any Means Necessary
Dirty175
Ranger

Re: Items allowed to be worn in the 75th Ranger Regiment, RSTB

Post by Dirty175 »

Caveman's_Kid wrote:Hello Rangers,
Not wanting to get the bad first impression. This is what I'm currently wearing:

ID Tags - wrapped in paracord, secured around belt loop down into back pocket
Gerber - one blunt nose, one needle nose, one on each side of the belt/waistline. (either no one has a spare for use, or putting in a radio mount requires to pliers)
Surefire flashlight - one the belt.
Benchmade 9100 SBK automatic folder - on the belt.
KIA Bracelet - right wrist (black aluminum, of a buddy I knew that isn't here anymore)
Oakley Ballistic Sunglasses - standard black, received from prior unit ordered through usstandardissue.com

First impressions are the most important, and yes I do use these items on any given day. I've heard various things and would like to get some truth in the matter as to what is allowed, or deemed acceptable for everyday wear. It may seem meaningless, but I wouldn't care if I didn't ask.

V/R,
~Christopher
Where are you going with all this?
Caveman's_Kid
Soldier

Post by Caveman's_Kid »

Good Morning Ranger Dirty175,
Of the items I've listed, will I draw unwanted attention to myself by showing up with them on? I've heard alot of different things from other soldiers about what they heard, or could quote about uniformity and what is or isn't allowed for me to wear on a daily basis. While I'm not breaking anything on AR 670-1, I do understand units may add to, but not take away from any regulation. With Airborne and ROP coming up on me fast, I'm just trying to cover any/all bases to make the best of it all.

V/R,
~Christopher
~By Any Means Necessary
Dirty175
Ranger

Post by Dirty175 »

Caveman,
It sounds like you're asking if you have "the look". Read the Ranger Creed- see the 4th stanza? It says "Gallantly will I show the world...". In in other words your actions are what count. The fact that you wear all of these gadgets with your uniform is disturbing. I dont carry anything but id tags and my wallet in garrison. If you need a particular item to do your job I understand, but a surefire and two knives and 550 cord on the break-away chain of your id tags? Its break-away for a reason. Blend in, do your job, and keep your mouth shut. Even if you take the things that I have said I still see potential problems. The fact that you even think that you will make a good first impression by showing up wearing a Bat Man utility belt is a problem. Your profile says that you enjoy MMA- the Regiment has a very robust hand-to-hand program, but even if you excel in this arena you are still required to be (highly) proficient in your MOS. The days of short hair and shiny boots are over; Its "Go-Time".
Dirty175
Ranger

Post by Dirty175 »

Hung Low wrote:Oh, I thought you on about the reunion. My bad...
WTF!
Dirty175
Ranger

Post by Dirty175 »

Hung Low wrote:What's an RSTB then?
http://news.soc.mil/releases/News%20Arc ... 18-01.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dirty175
Ranger

Post by Dirty175 »

The STB is pretty much Army wide now. With regard to the Ranger STB I dont have much information. I did however see two Soldiers in Peachtree Mall wearing ACU's and twirling maroon berets on their fingers. As I got closer I saw (much to my horror) that they had RHQ flashes on their berets.
Caveman's_Kid
Soldier

Post by Caveman's_Kid »

Good Morning Rangers,
No beer required Ranger Hung Low, it's typically Vodka (have been known to party with Jack while hunting Wild Turkey) for me. Just to get it exact, take off the batman utility belt until told otherwise, but the KIA bracelet I wear for my old friend?
Thankyou Ranger Dirty175, that is exactly the kind of answer I need. I know I'm not going to get any punches pulled when I show up after ROP, and will have a steep vertical learning curve to climb. Any delusions to believe otherwise would most definitly lead me to some interesting and highly colorful one-way conversations. This'll probaly be the last posting I'll be making with the exception of SITREP's of my time in BAC and ROP. I cannot wait to get to the 75th Ranger Regiment!

V/R,
~Christopher
~By Any Means Necessary
Black 6
Ranger

Post by Black 6 »

. wrote:
Hung Low wrote:What's an RSTB then?
Click for enlightenment
Now see, that is just a smart ass post right there.....

I love it. You must share how you did it.

edited to add: I have an idea, how about show up with what you are supposed to have on, then find out there what you can and cannot wear. You should be able to find out very quickly the answer once you are on the ground.
2/75 Blacksheep 92-93, 1/9 93-94
1759 society member

"You will know me by the scars I bear.
You will know me by the hate I swear."-OTEP

01010011 01110000 01100001 01110010 01110100 01100001 01101110 00101111 01001000 01100101 01110010 01101111 00101110
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

Dirty175 wrote:The days of short hair and shiny boots are over; Its "Go-Time".
However, the Rangers will always set the standard for the US Army. When in doubt, go with the standard, not what's cool or that you've seen modified in some other unit. All the uniform and equipment mods will be taken care of before you "step off". So NO NO GO Gadget!
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

. wrote:
Dirty175 wrote:The days of short hair and shiny boots are over; Its "Go-Time".
This about sums it up. Alot of old timers will never get over this though.

I consider myself an "Old Timer" and I got over it, but I do now what you mean.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"

Return to “Personal Gear”