Traveling Tips, Help & Ideas

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Boudicca
Tadpole

Traveling Tips, Help & Ideas

Post by Boudicca »

Afternoon All.

I'm going on a jaunt with my retired Ranger, 13 year old daughter and her best friend to Washington DC.

We (and when I say "we", I mean mostly me), will start driving to DC next Thursday and we already have a hotel room booked for 3 nights in Arlington.

This is to be an educational and fun trip; adding several more states to my daughters repertoire (she's up to 16 states now). Her best friend has only seen Ft Worth, TX and Oklahoma.

Okay to the point -- we've seen the Pacific, the Gulf and need to see the Atlantic. Any tips of the best and easiest beach to get to around there? Cause it doesn't count if you can't put your feet in the water. I'm thinking we drop down to North Carolina for the beach.

And if anyone has any pointers about places to go to in DC that are niftier than you'd think, I'm listening.
To be loved is to be fortunate, but to be hated is to achieve distinction.
<2> Ranger Mom
RIP 10-08 & RS 10-09
Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Re: Traveling Tips, Help & Ideas

Post by Ranger Ron »

Jim lives there and can tell you all about DC, especially the Pentagon. I am sure he will see this and come running. I get the feeling he loves to show folks around. Just make sure you keep your eye on the two young girls when he's around. :wink: :lol: :lol:
SUA SPONTE - "We few, we happy few, we BAND OF BROTHERS;
for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother!"
- Shakespeare

RLTW! - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave

RS 3-70
SSG VN 69-70
I Co., 75th. Inf.
4/9 Inf., 25th ID

Mentored Ranger kozzman555
http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 183
http://www.ranger.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 3537
Boudicca
Tadpole

Post by Boudicca »

RangerRon wrote:Jim lives there and can tell you all about DC, especially the Pentagon. I am sure he will see this and come running. I get the feeling he loves to show folks around. Just make sure you keep your eye on the two young girls when he's around. :wink: :lol: :lol:
Well, I'm staying near the Pentagon, so that would be handy, and the girls will have my very own "Ranger Jim" around to keep an eye on them.

If I ever want to see Nebraska again though, I'll have to give you a shout...but then I think I've already seen everything there, and I really don't want to go to Nebraska again. :lol: :lol:
<2> Ranger Mom
RIP 10-08 & RS 10-09
Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Post by Ranger Ron »

Boudicca wrote:
RangerRon wrote:Jim lives there and can tell you all about DC, especially the Pentagon. I am sure he will see this and come running. I get the feeling he loves to show folks around. Just make sure you keep your eye on the two young girls when he's around. :wink: :lol: :lol:
Well, I'm staying near the Pentagon, so that would be handy, and the girls will have my very own "Ranger Jim" around to keep an eye on them.

If I ever want to see Nebraska again though, I'll have to give you a shout...but then I think I've already seen everything there, and I really don't want to go to Nebraska again. :lol: :lol:
I know exactly what you mean. I spent four years in OK in college so I had the choice and could make a good comparison. I spent the next 40 years (with the exception of a couple) in Nebraska. My little brother didn't display such good judgment. He has been an attorney in OKC for 35 years. Just kidding, I still enjoy coming to OK although we don't get there as often as we should.

Enjoy your trip!
SUA SPONTE - "We few, we happy few, we BAND OF BROTHERS;
for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother!"
- Shakespeare

RLTW! - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave

RS 3-70
SSG VN 69-70
I Co., 75th. Inf.
4/9 Inf., 25th ID

Mentored Ranger kozzman555
http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 183
http://www.ranger.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 3537
DrD
Tadpole

Post by DrD »

Boudicca;

I don't have any cool words of advice to offer you on your visit, but I'd sit and have a cup of coffee with you. :D

Shana
~Black Raven~
Gordo173
Ranger

Post by Gordo173 »

Rehobath Beach, DE

It's where all the cool kids from DC go!

Oh Wait! There are no cool kids in DC. Still Reho and make sure you take a drive along the coast. Stop by any roadside bar and grill and have the softshell crabs. The seedier looking the bar and grill the fresher and tastier the crabs! Enjoy!
Wpns/C/2-75(INF)(RGR)(ABN)
1/1/C/2-75(INF)(RGR)(ABN)
C,HHC,D/3-6(INF)(Mech)
HHC/2-504 PIR
A/1-504 PIR
HHC/1-82(ABN)
Oopps almost forgot Class 4-84

"Always with the negative waves Moriarity!"
Boudicca
Tadpole

Post by Boudicca »

Gordo173 wrote:Rehobath Beach, DE

It's where all the cool kids from DC go!

Oh Wait! There are no cool kids in DC. Still Reho and make sure you take a drive along the coast. Stop by any roadside bar and grill and have the softshell crabs. The seedier looking the bar and grill the fresher and tastier the crabs! Enjoy!
GREAT TIP! Right up my alley. I was hoping to get crabs. The other half says his main objective is to get a drink at the Willard Hotel.

And I was thinking that per the map, that was the quickest route to the beach from DC.
<2> Ranger Mom
RIP 10-08 & RS 10-09
RANGER513
Ranger

Post by RANGER513 »

Boudicca wrote:Afternoon All.

I'm going on a jaunt with my retired Ranger, 13 year old daughter and her best friend to Washington DC.

We (and when I say "we", I mean mostly me), will start driving to DC next Thursday and we already have a hotel room booked for 3 nights in Arlington.

This is to be an educational and fun trip; adding several more states to my daughters repertoire (she's up to 16 states now). Her best friend has only seen Ft Worth, TX and Oklahoma.

Okay to the point -- we've seen the Pacific, the Gulf and need to see the Atlantic. Any tips of the best and easiest beach to get to around there? Cause it doesn't count if you can't put your feet in the water. I'm thinking we drop down to North Carolina for the beach.

And if anyone has any pointers about places to go to in DC that are niftier than you'd think, I'm listening.

Wow !

You're gonna be driving through alot of different states !

I better get started on making some phone calls to some " friends " to ensure your driving is closely watched.

:lol: 8) :lol:
C Co 2/75
1986 - 1992
RS Class 9-87

RLTW

" The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena............ "
Boudicca
Tadpole

Post by Boudicca »

RANGER513 wrote:Wow !

I better get started on making some phone calls to some " friends " to ensure your driving is closely watched.
They can "watch" if they want--I ain't shy, but they can't watch very well unless they're going as fast as me!!

I'll be headed through the states of MO, IL, IN, KY, WV, MD and VA. But for the love of God, no Applalachian, banjo-pickin, Mt Dew-drinkin' LEOs! :mrgreen:
<2> Ranger Mom
RIP 10-08 & RS 10-09
IDon'tCare
Ranger

Post by IDon'tCare »

Your going to hate the drive in IL. Be very careful.
A co 2/75 80-84
Ranger class 12-82
SERE Instructor class 1-83

Mentor to Prodigy922 / KW12 / whiskeytango
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

When you see the locals driving at speed limit it is a tip to drivers that LEO'S abound in nearby blind corners.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
RANGER513
Ranger

Post by RANGER513 »

Boudicca wrote:
RANGER513 wrote:Wow !

They can "watch" if they want--I ain't shy, but they can't watch very well unless they're going as fast as me!!

I'll be headed through the states of MO, IL, IN, KY, WV, MD and VA. But for the love of God, no Applalachian, banjo-pickin, Mt Dew-drinkin' LEOs! :mrgreen:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sounds like your making a challenge !!!????

I made a few calls. Your vehicle plate, year, make, model and color are noted. :shock:

8)
C Co 2/75
1986 - 1992
RS Class 9-87

RLTW

" The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena............ "
McD
Ranger

Post by McD »

Virginia beach is pretty darn nice as well as Ocean City MD. They are pretty famous.
C 2/75, 1st Plt, Wpns Sqd 76-79
RS 3-78
Mattoon's Goons

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve --
is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

I'm on the roster and it would be a pleasure to show you and your family the Pentagon and Arlington Cemetery. You can find most of the other sites on your own, but I'm available...

Feel free to PM me.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Rabbit
Tadpole

Post by Rabbit »

Ranger Parent Boudicca, if you ever drive by Morgantown, WV, and have to stop near there for the night, come into town and I will buy you and your retired Ranger a round.

Return to “The Mosh Pit”