newbie saying hello

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

RedHawk
Embryo

newbie saying hello

Post by RedHawk »

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and will be seeking lots of information and advice. From the looks of things I have alot to read before I start asking questions.
About myself, well I am 30 years old, married, and have a 5 year old son. I am planing on joining the army and would really like to go into special forces or become a ranger. I was told in the goarmy chat room that I was to old to become a ranger but could still go into SF's.. Is this True?
Alot of people tell me I am crazy for wanting to join at my age but I see it as waiting 12 years to long. My wife supports me and is very loyal. She even tells me I need to find somting thats a challenge instead of going to school part time and working full time at a dead end job. Now that she has graduated college and has her job lined up it will be easier to do things. lol and she makes double what i do now so money is secure.
I am to a point in my life that i need the challenge not just to prove things to myself but to do things for my country. I am tired of all the 18 year olds doing things that I am still able to do myself. I greatly appreciate what they do but I am not an old crippled. I should do for them just as much as they do for me in defending this country that we all love.
I look forward to chatting and learning from everyone here. And thank you for being so generous with the help. I really appreciate it.

Rick
Vee
Ranger

Post by Vee »

Welcome to the site, Rick.

Use it well.

And don't let any of those young punks get to you :wink:

RLTW
RSD 96-99
Parabellum
Ranger

Post by Parabellum »

You are not too old to be a Ranger.
"We spoke to them in the only language they understood - the machine gun."

HHC 1/75 Oct 98-Mar 99
B co 1/75 Mar 99-Apr 04
ROC RSTB RIP/PRC Cadre Apr 04-May 06
A co 1/75 May 06-Jul 08
HHC 1/75 Jul 08-Mar 09

RS 3-99
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Welcome aboard. If Earthpig could do it when he was over 30, other old farts might be able to do it also. :lol:

Welcome to the site.
Saltbitch

Re: newbie saying hello

Post by Saltbitch »

RedHawk wrote:Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and will be seeking lots of information and advice. From the looks of things I have alot to read before I start asking questions.
About myself, well I am 30 years old, married, and have a 5 year old son. I am planing on joining the army and would really like to go into special forces or become a ranger. I was told in the goarmy chat room that I was to old to become a ranger but could still go into SF's.. Is this True?
Alot of people tell me I am crazy for wanting to join at my age but I see it as waiting 12 years to long. My wife supports me and is very loyal. She even tells me I need to find somting thats a challenge instead of going to school part time and working full time at a dead end job. Now that she has graduated college and has her job lined up it will be easier to do things. lol and she makes double what i do now so money is secure.
I am to a point in my life that i need the challenge not just to prove things to myself but to do things for my country. I am tired of all the 18 year olds doing things that I am still able to do myself. I greatly appreciate what they do but I am not an old crippled. I should do for them just as much as they do for me in defending this country that we all love.
I look forward to chatting and learning from everyone here. And thank you for being so generous with the help. I really appreciate it.

Rick
No, you're not too old to be a Ranger...but you ARE too old to run around and not capitalize it. Rangers care less about age than they do about 'attention to detail'.
Daniel_Boone
Paratrooper

Post by Daniel_Boone »

Welcome to the board Rick.
C Co. 3/505 PIR 4/87-10/89
A Co. 1/82nd Avn Reg. 10/89-4/90
C Co. 3/505 PIR 4/90-6/92

"What are you, some kind of deviated prevert?"
Col "Bat" Guano
Narrow Gauge RR
Tadpole

Post by Narrow Gauge RR »

Welcome to the board....I'm 28 and on the same trail as you....doing my damndest to become an Army Ranger. Have you decided on an MOS yet? I'm having a hell of a time deciding...11x,13f,31c......don't know what the hell to do :? I'm within a coupe pounds of meeting my weight requirement to enlist so I should be headed to MEPS before long...are you enlisting soon also?
...I turned down their dope. And I turned down their stupid trends. And the hippies always hated me, because they were preaching peace and love and I was loading a .44 magnum.
Ted Nugent

What's a fart? A turd honking for right of way.
DocDaigle

Post by DocDaigle »

H8 Train wrote:You are not too old to be a Ranger.
Your never to old to be a Ranger. We even have our own Geriatric Platoon. Nothing like Geritol and Bengay to get you through the day.... :lol:
RedHawk
Embryo

Post by RedHawk »

I do not have a MOS yet but I would like to be a 18B if I can. Thats what I have the most interest in but nit the only thing. I want to lose another 10 lbs before I go to the MEPS. That will put me within 5 lbs of my weight limit. Sitting around pushing a pencil for a living and not wroking out makes the weight catch up to you real fast.
I have been talking to my recruiters and going to take the ASVAB here in a couple of weeks. Last time I took it was in High school and only scored a 54 lol. I think I can do better now.
One thing Recruiters are telling me is that with the collge hours I have I can enlist as an E-3. I hope this is true it would be a nice little bonus.
I know ranger school is not easy and will not lie but I do fear I may not pass it. I do know that I am a stuborn SOB and will give it nothing less than 110%. So I know if I don't make it its not lack of trying its just I am not cut out to be a Ranger.
Alot of people fear Drill Srg.s but I do not. I know they are doing their jobs and training me to learn everything I need to know to keep myself and team mates alive. The only thing I think I need to work on is my swimming skills. I can back stroke and breast stroke all day long but I can not swim using the side stroke worth a darn lol.
This post is a little long and I am sorry please feel free to give me any advice you can I really appreciate it. My current work out schedule is this.
I run 3 days a week, lift light weights 2 days a week walk 5 miles every Saturday with a backpack weighing 25 lbs.
The last thing I would like to know is would it be better for me to go into infantry first then switch to become a Ranger? I know you become World Wide if you don't have a MOS to fall back on if you fail. And I don't want another pencil pushing job lol.

Rick
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Welcome RedHawk

Now choose an appropiate Avatar. Select from only Newt or Newt 2 category.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
AngryPistols
US Army Veteran

Post by AngryPistols »

Welcome to the site.
Angry

USA 95B 84-87, TXARNG 91B 88-89, CIV 89-present

"Yet each man kills the thing he loves, some do it with a bitter look, some with a flattering word, the coward does it with a kiss, and the brave man with the sword. " -Oscar Wilde
Bell

Post by Bell »

Welcome to the site.

RLTW
Bell
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

RedHawk wrote:
The last thing I would like to know is would it be better for me to go into infantry first then switch to become a Ranger?
Rick-
First, welcome to the site. Second, if you truly want to be a Ranger, then don't pussy-foot around. Go for it. Go all the way or nothing. I was in your shoes when I enlisted....feeling like I would always regret not serving, if I didn't saddle up and ride. I was 31 when I went in. You'll have advantages over your younger peers, in that you will have many more life experiences than they will. The whole 'culture shock' of OSUT won't affect you like it will them.

But don't go Infantry first and plan on switching over later...it may never happen. Go for it from the beginning. There is a wealth of information here at your disposal. Run a search on your age question....there have been many threads concerning it that all have good info in them.

If you decide to go SF instead, we have several members who have served/ are serving in the SF community as well.

I wish you the best of luck in whichever route you decide to go. Hooah!
RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.

Return to “Introduction Archive”