formation running

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Re: formation running

Post by Ranger Bill »

I'm not a medic, but I know about pain and how to avoid, at least what works for me. As possible, use the RICE method to promote healing. The other thing you may want to consider is strengthening all the soft tissue in your lower legs by doing several sets of weighted calf raises and reverse calf raises every other day. This should take less than 10 minutes to do. You should also stretch by extending your foot as far as possible and then retracting it as far as possible. Perhaps others will offer some additional ideas.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

GACadet wrote:Formation running destroys my legs. Having to shorten my stride to run at the snails pace has my calves tighter than shit and my shins hurting like hell by the end of it.

Is there a remedy? Is there a different way to run in formation without killing yourself?

Anything thrown my way will be greatly appreciated, Rangers. Thanks.

Don't adjust your stride...adjust your foot turn over speed.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Formation running is proven to cause injuries and something the army needs to get with the times with, IMHO.

Ability groups is an alternate and better technique.
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

. wrote:
BadMuther wrote:Formation running is proven to cause injuries and something the army needs to get with the times with, IMHO.

Ability groups is an alternate and better technique.
Formation running can be used as a cohesion builder for units with younger soldiers in it. If the goal of that specific run is cardiovascular improvement, then yes ability groups are better suited.
It has it's place in basic and newly formed units for the reason you provided. Otherwise medical evidence shows (Got my info from "Military Fitness at alpine tactical.com) shows that it does more harm then good. Intuitively, most folks know this, especially if they were forced to do a battalion or larger formation run at some ridiculous slow pace.

Return to “About Army Physical Training”