Small Town Independence Day

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Spartan

Small Town Independence Day

Post by Spartan »

I don't know where the rest of you spent your 4th of July, although I'd like to hear it.

I had the opportunity to check out this small town's 4th of July Parade. This is a really quaint small community where families grow up around the same people thier whole lives, people rarely move from and everybody knows everybody.

The town, Dutch Flat, California is about 30 minutes east of Auburn, CA. There is no broadband, there is no 7/11, there is no traffic. I think they have about two stopsigns. It is not a tourist destination or a pass-through to somewhere more magnificent. It is magnificent in it's own right in that there is a genuine sense of community based on the common experience of living in the same small town of about 200-300 people. The homes date from the late 1800s to today, although many all have an early pioneer character to them.

In Dutch Flat, the sense of community is not similar to that which develops as in a larger city, where everyone rallies behind a professional sports team comprised of spoiled multi-millionaires and whose means of association is with others who share the same corporate workplace. The community is nestled among tall pine trees approximately 5 minutes off busy I-80.

I had the great experience of checking out their 4th of July parade in which the entire town was festooned in Red White and Blue. I don't think a single home or business was not draped with banners or small flags. This is one of the great things I noticed about living in small towns; there is no sense of multi-culturalism and people take pride in America. Those of you who live in a small town know exactly what I am talking about.

The parade opened with the marching of the colors by the Vietnam Veterans of America.

Followed by the Boy Scouts of America.

Local Bagpipe Player.

Then each family who lived in Dutch Flat followed with their own patriotic presentations. They marched the parade for two laps around the central area in which the town is arrayed, four square blocks.

The local United Methodist Church.

The Pirates

Adults wore silly painted paper hats made from grocery bags in public. :lol:

When the California Highway Patrol were attacked with water balloons by local kids, they counterattacked with their own water balloons - only in a small town. In a big city, there would have been arrests instead of counterattacks.

Other kids rode in the back of the country sheriff's Humvees tossing water balloons at other kids.

The local hotel reopened.

The new owners after the ribbon cutting. I don't know how long it had been closed, but it's awesome now, full of period antiques and due to be featured in Sunset Magazine in the near future. http://www.dutchflathotel.com/

Afterwards, there was a large barbecue and other events such as the Dunk Tank, at the town community center tennis court.

Ranger2

Post by Ranger2 »

Looks like a good time.
Small town living is good

Ranger2
Bell

Post by Bell »

I was raised in a town of 6200 people. They had parades for everything. People would pile up in the back of their pickups and join the parade. Good old clean fun. City boys don't get it.

RLTW
Bell
Bugsy
Ranger

Post by Bugsy »

I'm a live in a relatively small town as well, but damn it all, I went to the big city this year for the first friggin time in over 6 years. I'll have ta take some pics of how we honor the 4th of July in Oregon next year.

Great Pics Ranger Spartan!
1984 - 1985 5th Inf Div
1985 - 1986 75th Inf Ranger Regt
1986 - 1988 3/12 SFG (ABN)

The strength of the pack is the Wolf... and the strength of the Wolf is the pack... :twisted:
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

these are excellent pic's Spartan. Really fine. One problemo. Weren't you supposed to be in another town instead? :shock:
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
NoMoreRegrets
Tadpole

Post by NoMoreRegrets »

I grew up in just such a town of about 1800-1900 people. That background is the bedrock of my love of country today, no doubt. Thanks for posting those pictures up - I was, for a moment, transported home.
NoMoreRegrets
- better late than never.
eltrane
Tadpole

Post by eltrane »

I'm from the north but I hate the yankees. :evil: Go Bosox!

I grew up in a small town in MA. and I fondly remember the 4th parade, now I live in UT and it's a lot different.
RIP SSG Greg Gourley KIA Hawija 22 Feb 06

11b pig gunner 2/2 inf 84-86, TL 2/87 inf, 5/8 inf, 86-88
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

I grew up in a town of 2500. Those pictures were great.

Man I miss those days. I’ll be working on the 4th but the 9th or 10th I’m off to Tsagarada for two weeks with wife and son.
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
Thursday
Tadpole

Post by Thursday »

That's pretty awesome Ranger Spartan. My town has a parade every year, but its pretty lame. The highlight of the parade a few years ago was seeing this crazy bitch reatch for something thrown at her and incidently falling down and getting run over by the Fire Engine. It's a shame I wasn't present to witness it though.

I can't wait to get out of the city and into the Country.

Return to “The Mosh Pit”