awww hell

Rifles, Machineguns, Mortars, etc...
hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: awww hell

Post by hobbit »

Shooting at the range 5 minutes down the road from here would be very convenient (it's an 800 meter range), but it's not like there aren't other places you can shoot pretty close by. Not only that, but this county, Rio Grande County, Colorado, is probably one of the most gun-friendly in the US. It's still the Old West here. Unless they're federal statutes, we have no gun laws here, and no animal ordinances either. Shoot where you want to shoot and let your dog run free.

My buddy on the sheriff’s department, Sgt. Boyd Wheelright, told me last time he dropped by for coffee, that we have 13 registered machine guns in the county, two of them heavy (.50 caliber), and about 800 registered assault rifles. All told, this county's 13,000 residents own an estimated 10,000 firearms. Even the Amish here are well-armed and make no qualms about it. If you have no felonies in your past, you can get a concealed-carry permit here in about 4 hours. Nowhere I've been does the adage "a well-armed society is a polite society" ring true like it does here. Oh, and other than a couple of suicides, we've had zero gun-related violence in this county for more than three years. The left is loath to acknowledge things like that.

Anyway, I like to drive about 15 miles south of my place to where the open range of the San Juan National Forest starts. You can go down there in the foothills and set up an impromptu shooting range anywhere you want and nobody is going to bother you. It's beautiful down there; lots of wild horses, pronghorn, and elk. Living here has turned my thinking around on some issues I've entertained for years. I hadn't hunted since I was sixteen. I went out and bagged a pronghorn last year, and felt good about it. My neighbor is a USDA butcher who dressed and wrapped it for me. Next year an elk I hope.

Wild horses on the open range, San Juan National Forest:

L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. -Albert Einstein
al_2ndWolfhounds
Ranger

Post by al_2ndWolfhounds »

Nice life, great place to be.
RLTW

Active service 01/67-12/73
Ranger Class 10-68
2/27 Inf 25th Inf Div Vietnam 01/69-01/70

"In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
“The enemy is anybody who’s going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.” – Joseph Heller, Catch-22
Grifter
Ranger

Post by Grifter »

Ok well, I opened the final package of operational equipment for my 1st AR today. It included a "Tactical" charging handle and a chromed bolt/carrier assembly.

Question is with these chromed systems does one need to use basically the same amount of oil as with a standard carrier or maybe less/more? Standard AR gas configuration.

on a side note. In the last week I have ordered roughly 400 bucks worth of extra and finishing stuff for the AR from three different companies. just a note here about the experiences.

Model 1 sales out of Texas has a 24 hr / same day shipping guarantee. very cool. took 6 days from date of order to go from texas to detroit: ups ground. A very good experience. would and will use them again.

Brownells. Ordered yesterday night and it shipped today from iowa. product was in staock and that led to a very fast turn around. cool. we'll see how long the trip takes here in the next 48 hrs. and I will edit this to reflect that. edit. just checked on progress of this package. left iowa yesterday and will be here tomorrow UPS ground. not bad. another good experience.

Area51tactical. I ordered from these guys because their price on a MI back up rear sight was 20 bucks less then anyone else for a MI folding rear. They also had a quad rail on sale that fit my budget. They also are the home of the 9 dollar shipping no matter what/ cheapest of the three. However I ordered from them the same day I ordered from Model 1. To date I still havent received a shipping notification from them. To their credit it says right on the site expect 84 hrs for order processing. So for the price I am willing to wait.
Jan 00-Dec 03
1/75th C-2 / HHC SNOT.
OEF/OIF
RS Class 06-01
Black to Tan Change-over Ranger
MI Glenn English Base of USARA
Grifter
Ranger

Post by Grifter »

quick update.
Brownells arrived about 15 minutes ago. right on time.

1 week and 1 day from date of order and i Finally got a "shipped" message from Area51. with a priority tracking number. quick check of USPS and they dont even have the box yet. I imagine the box will officially be in transit tomorrow. then its just a waiting game. I am a wee bit dissapointed that the moment. Thats 8 days of lead time/ order processing pails greatly when measured against the other two who both had product on hand and shipped in 24 hrs. As i stated earlier, for the price and the 9 dollar shipping I guess its worth the wait.
Jan 00-Dec 03
1/75th C-2 / HHC SNOT.
OEF/OIF
RS Class 06-01
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

This is the backup rear sight I am going to install on my AR.
MBUS
Since it is a backup to my EOtech I can't see dropping too much into one. I also like their free shipping.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
Grifter
Ranger

Post by Grifter »

Flesh Thorn wrote:This is the backup rear sight I am going to install on my AR.
MBUS
Since it is a backup to my EOtech I can't see dropping too much into one. I also like their free shipping.
No shit, thats a nice looking back up site. And 25 bucks cheaper then the MI rear buis I purchased. Never heard of that company(AimS) before. I will remember them and that site when I build the ArmyRanger.com lower into an spr.

For the moment I am stuck with my rear buis as my main site. I am waiting till the end of the month when a friend of mine says he can get me a good price on a ACOG. then its lead time on that. funny that trij is right around the corner here in SE MI but I am using a guy in Idaho to get a better price.
Last edited by Grifter on September 17th, 2010, 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 00-Dec 03
1/75th C-2 / HHC SNOT.
OEF/OIF
RS Class 06-01
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

I would not mind trying the Trijicon Accupoint scopes. Probably not as high speed as an ACOG, but I am not that high speed anyways. The Accupoints also have the battery free-fiber optic illumination.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
Grifter
Ranger

Post by Grifter »

Flesh Thorn wrote:I would not mind trying the Trijicon Accupoint scopes. Probably not as high speed as an ACOG, but I am not that high speed anyways. The Accupoints also have the battery free-fiber optic illumination.
I am tentatively watching those as well. One of these days I will fall into a good deal on a REM 700 in 300 win mag. with all the trimmings. I like Trij stuff so I would consider using the Accupoint series on that system. Somewhere around here I have a recent Shooting Times with an article about the Accupoint series. If my recollection serves they scored high marks.
Jan 00-Dec 03
1/75th C-2 / HHC SNOT.
OEF/OIF
RS Class 06-01
Grifter
Ranger

Re: awww hell-progress

Post by Grifter »

I should state considering my earlier reservations with the Area 51 company that even though they are super slow out the door. They used USPS to ship and shipped it priority mail. Which shipped the fastest point to point and as I stated its was the cheapest shipping.

Well here she is. I have nicknamed this beauty my first AR build after my wife. I dont know why but I have named all the others too, so buzz off its my tradition.

Jan 00-Dec 03
1/75th C-2 / HHC SNOT.
OEF/OIF
RS Class 06-01
Grifter
Ranger

Post by Grifter »

Grifter wrote:Hobbit: Since you asked I figured I would post up some of the details..

Lower, came from Essential Arms in Louisiana, it included a full lower parts kit (since I bought it on a group by with a couple LE's the armorer "set up" the trigger's "real nice" for us/ I am not sure what "real nice" means but Who cares?). No buttstock. 200 bones

Tapco Collapsable buttstock from a local outdoor supply store for 60.00

DSA Arms A3 upper assembly with 16" barrel, M4 handgaurds, front site post and A2 flashhider (found in a shotgun news add,.. did not include a charging handle, bolt or bolt carrier. 250.00

Chrome bolt and carrier (195.00) and tactical charging handle(25.00) from Model 1 Sales.com

Stock wrench and ambi sling /stock plate from Brownells. 20 bucks

UTG carbine fore-rail (65.00) and 1 MI rear BUIS. (89.00) from Area 51 tactical.
Updated list above for this AR. grand total came in at 904.00 not including shipping costs. so figure it right at a grand.
Jan 00-Dec 03
1/75th C-2 / HHC SNOT.
OEF/OIF
RS Class 06-01
Grifter
Ranger

Post by Grifter »

I am currently pursueing the TA01NSN ACOG. Which should be very close if not a perfect match for the ACOG I had on my issued M4 in SNOT. If recollection serves it should arrive with a Triq piccatiny rail mount.
Jan 00-Dec 03
1/75th C-2 / HHC SNOT.
OEF/OIF
RS Class 06-01
Grifter
Ranger

Post by Grifter »

Placed an order for a sling for the above mentioned AR from Aimsurplus the other day. It arrived yesterday / saturday. Very convienent that they are just down the road in OH. the free shipping on some of their items is pretty cool. I already have another 100 bucks worth of goodies that I would like to purchase from them while the shipping is free to upgrade the AR. god this crap is addicting..
Jan 00-Dec 03
1/75th C-2 / HHC SNOT.
OEF/OIF
RS Class 06-01
Grifter
Ranger

Post by Grifter »

Picked up Viking tacticals light mount for this AR a couple weeks back. Namely because Viking tact. Straight up posted on their website that this would fit my Surefire E-series light. The price helped too. In my search for a light mount it seemed in general that other companies never really tell you what light will fit in their mount. Heres a pic of it mounted on my AR with the Surefire E2 installed. I really like the positioning. Not bad for 24 bucks worth of stuff.

Jan 00-Dec 03
1/75th C-2 / HHC SNOT.
OEF/OIF
RS Class 06-01

Return to “Weapons of War”