Book Recommendation

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Silverback
Ranger

Book Recommendation

Post by Silverback »

"Achieving Victory in Iraq is, by far, the best available blueprint for reaching a successful outcome in this crucial struggle. At a time of destructive political polarization and partisan noise-making, this book is wonderfully honest, sensible, realistic, and genuinely insightful. The authors--both first-rate soldiers--have provided an important service to our country. Let's hope that our leaders, in and out of uniform, pay attention." -- Ralph Peters, columnist and author of Looking for Trouble: Adventures in a Broken World

"Caraccilo and Thompson have written a crisp, stinging rebuttal to Tom Ricks's Fiasco. In Achieving Victory in Iraq, they draw on their combat tours in Iraq to argue that the United States does have a plan and is able to prevail there, if only the American politicians and people will give the U.S. military time to accomplish the mission and learn from its missteps. They point to the consequences of earlier U.S. withdrawals from Afghanistan in 1989 and Somalia in 1993 as cautionary tales of what not to do in Iraq." -- Linda Robinson, author of Tell Me How This Ends: General Petraeus and the Search for a Way Out of Iraq

"Dom Caraccilo is one of the bright lights of the U.S. Army who, through personal integrity and decency and intellectual preparedness, got right in Iraq what too many senior officers got wrong." -- George Packer, writer for the New Yorker and author of The Assassins' Gate: America in Iraq

"Sure to generate heated controversy, Achieving Victory in Iraq is a hard-hitting, compelling account of the complexities of waging war in the modern world. Caraccilo and Thompson courageously address the leading political, social, economic, and military issues inherent in countering an armed insurgency and outline a blueprint for victory as the United States and its allies wage a global war against terrorism." -- Col. Cole C. Kingseed, USA (Ret.), co-author of the New York Times bestseller Beyond Band of Brothers: The War Memoirs of Major Dick Winters

"While `political power grows out of the barrel of a gun,' Achieving Victory in Iraq insightfully makes the case that the barrel of that gun must be held by an Iraqi, not an American, soldier. If we're to achieve any degree of success, Caraccilo's and Thompson's blueprint to train Iraqi forces to fight and win primarily through their own processes and cultural mores is our only viable course of action." -- Lt. Col. J. D. Lock, USA (Ret.), author of Rangers in Combat and Chain of Destiny

Product Description
Now that Gen. David Petraeus's troop surge has gained the U.S. much-needed breathing room in Iraq, what should come next? The answer, according to Iraq War combat veterans of the famed 101st Airborne Division Col. Dominic J. Caraccilo and Lt. Col. Andrea L. Thompson, is to turn the fight over to the Iraqis.
In Achieving Victory in Iraq, Caraccilo and Thompson examine how the Iraq War has evolved since 2003 and carefully outline the way forward. They argue that a strategy for handing off the battle to the Iraqis existed from the beginning, even though the American-led coalition sometimes muddled its execution and at times did not even pursue it. A renewed effort to create an independent Iraqi security force capable of standing up against the insurgency, they believe, remains the U.S.'s best shot at victory--not winning over the Iraqi people, not crushing the enemy with American military might.

Drawing on the authors' on-the-ground experiences training and conducting security operations with Iraqi soldiers, Achieving Victory in Iraq describes how this strategy has already succeeded in parts of Iraq and how it can be expanded in the wake of the surge to bring victory to the entire country.

About the Author
Col. Dominic J. Caraccilo currently commands a brigade combat team in the 101st Airborne Division in Iraq. He has completed two previous Operation Iraqi Freedom tours, first as a battalion commander in the 173rd Airborne Brigade and then as the operations officer (G3) of the 101st. He fought with the 75th Rangers in Afghanistan and the 82nd Airborne in Operation Desert Storm and deployed to Kosovo. Colonel Caraccilo is a graduate of West Point, the U.S. Naval Staff College, and the U.S. Army Command and General Staff College and holds master's degrees from the Naval War College and Cornell University.

Lt. Col. Andrea L. Thompson is currently attending the National War College following her assignment as a Special Assistant to the U.S. Army Chief of Staff at the Pentagon. During her two tours in Iraq, she served first as the military intelligence task force commander in the 25th Infantry Division and as the senior intelligence office (G2) of the 101st Airborne Division. She has also served in Germany, Honduras, Nicaragua, Belize, and Bosnia. Lieutenant Colonel Thompson graduated from the University of South Dakota, earned a master's degree from Long Island University, and attended the U.S. Army Command and General Staff College.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
DirtyM
Ranger

Re: Book Recommendation

Post by DirtyM »

Silverback- Have you read this one? I saw it a few weeks ago and thought about buying it. I shot an email to COL C. about a month ago, and it looks like he is headed to Drum to be the 10th MTN Chief of Staff. That guy is a glutton for punishment.
RS Class 7-92
Invictus
Ranger

Post by Invictus »

I was under the impression it was, if not against regulations, then at least a bad idea for anyone on AD, especially an officer, to write a book like this one.

Theoretically, what he suggests as our best course of action could go against what his chain of command decides. It also could be construed as speaking out against current and future administrations decisions and decision makers. Isn't that a career killer?

That being said, I think highly of Ralph Peters, and will pick this up on his recommendation alone.

Thanks for posting it.
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

DirtyM wrote:Silverback- Have you read this one? I saw it a few weeks ago and thought about buying it. I shot an email to COL C. about a month ago, and it looks like he is headed to Drum to be the 10th MTN Chief of Staff. That guy is a glutton for punishment.
I think it'll get eclipsed with current events going the way they are. I always thought very highly of Col C.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
DirtyM
Ranger

Post by DirtyM »

Invictus-

Roger, I see what you're driving at. I haven't read it, but from what I gather I do not think this book is so much of a condemnation of specific policies, or even naming previous commanders as 'failures' (it aint a hack job). I would bet COL Caraccilo does however bring forth anectotal evidence to suggest that in COIN, the most important actions and decisions are not made by Generals, but by the NCOs and Soldiers on the ground- and highlight notable instances where we shot ourselves in the foot and perhaps fomented increased insurgent and/or terrorist activity (Abu Ghraib, Soldier pumping 14 rounds into a Qu'uran, Blackwater shooting in Noors Square)... further conjecture on my part, but I would guess the book's thesis is that in order for the IZ government to achieve legitimacy- they HAVE to take the lead. Stuff right out of FM 3-24 (principle number One).

And since complete provincial control was handed over about three weeks ago- this book may be OBE soon anyway.

HOWEVER...if you want to read about an officer hitting the nail on the head regarding General officer ineptness in Iraq, I think LTC Yingling stands alone (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 02230.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

vr
DM
RS Class 7-92
Invictus
Ranger

Post by Invictus »

DirtyM wrote:Invictus-

Roger, I see what you're driving at. I haven't read it, but from what I gather I do not think this book is so much of a condemnation of specific policies, or even naming previous commanders as 'failures' (it aint a hack job). I would bet COL Caraccilo does however bring forth anectotal evidence to suggest that in COIN, the most important actions and decisions are not made by Generals, but by the NCOs and Soldiers on the ground- and highlight notable instances where we shot ourselves in the foot and perhaps fomented increased insurgent and/or terrorist activity (Abu Ghraib, Soldier pumping 14 rounds into a Qu'uran, Blackwater shooting in Noors Square)... further conjecture on my part, but I would guess the book's thesis is that in order for the IZ government to achieve legitimacy- they HAVE to take the lead. Stuff right out of FM 3-24 (principle number One).

And since complete provincial control was handed over about three weeks ago- this book may be OBE soon anyway.

HOWEVER...if you want to read about an officer hitting the nail on the head regarding General officer ineptness in Iraq, I think LTC Yingling stands alone (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 02230.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

vr
DM
Gotcha, thanks for the insight. I'll check out that article as well.
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

DirtyM wrote:Invictus-

vr
DM
Here's the strange part of this conversation (in my head). When I was preparing to deploy with 2/2 BCT we had the "privilege" of getting "schooled" by the master of COIN H.R. McMasters. He shared his groundbreaking ideas with us and I was amazed. I was amazed that all the new and important tactics his unit execute were actually executed by us in 2003. He was talking about using structures within the community as "Patrol bases", augmenting Police stations with 24/7 coverage by Americans, etc...

It took me a few years to see the decisions that Mayville and company made were well ahead of their time but absolutely crucial. I think that had the American forces continued what we were doing, things would likely have gone a lot better Iraq. I think the land owners were drawn to the large bases by chicks and burger king and that allowed the insurgency to gain momentum.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
DirtyM
Ranger

Post by DirtyM »

SB
Roger all. Some so-labeled 'geniuses' or 'architects' of successful counterinsurgency tours are likely the guys with the savvy to actually read doctrine, study previously successful campaigns, and say the right buzz words and catch-phrases repetitively to their favorite reporters. But then again, shaping perception (theirs and ours) is what it's all about I suppose. What makes me sink a little lower in my chair is when those same guys re-hash stuff you've been doing for awhile, as if they've discovered Wonka's golden ticket. Plus, McMaster is a Cav dude; nuff said. :wink:
RS Class 7-92
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Silverback wrote:Here's the strange part of this conversation (in my head). When I was preparing to deploy with 2/2 BCT we had the "privilege" of getting "schooled" by the master of COIN H.R. McMasters. He shared his groundbreaking ideas with us and I was amazed. I was amazed that all the new and important tactics his unit execute were actually executed by us in 2003. He was talking about using structures within the community as "Patrol bases", augmenting Police stations with 24/7 coverage by Americans, etc...

It took me a few years to see the decisions that Mayville and company made were well ahead of their time but absolutely crucial. I think that had the American forces continued what we were doing, things would likely have gone a lot better Iraq. I think the land owners were drawn to the large bases by chicks and burger king and that allowed the insurgency to gain momentum.
COL (P) H.R. McMaster is Director, Concepts Development and Experimentation, Army Capabilities Integration Center, TRADOC. He commanded the 3d ACR in Iraq, and is a tabbed Ranger.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Jim wrote:
Silverback wrote:Here's the strange part of this conversation (in my head). When I was preparing to deploy with 2/2 BCT we had the "privilege" of getting "schooled" by the master of COIN H.R. McMasters. He shared his groundbreaking ideas with us and I was amazed. I was amazed that all the new and important tactics his unit execute were actually executed by us in 2003. He was talking about using structures within the community as "Patrol bases", augmenting Police stations with 24/7 coverage by Americans, etc...

COL (P) H.R. McMaster is Director, Concepts Development and Experimentation, Army Capabilities Integration Center, TRADOC. He commanded the 3d ACR in Iraq, and is a tabbed Ranger.
And that means?
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Silverback wrote:
Jim wrote: COL (P) H.R. McMaster is Director, Concepts Development and Experimentation, Army Capabilities Integration Center, TRADOC. He commanded the 3d ACR in Iraq, and is a tabbed Ranger.
And that means?
I guess I should explain my take on this... COL(p) McMaster was treated as though he executed ground-breaking initiatives and in turn what had actually been done was a reversion to the protocol we (173d Airborne) were executing in 2003-2004. I am not trying to short change or bad mouth anyone, I just think the actual brains behind the idea of immersion within the culture never received nor did they seek notoriety for their strategic and tactical prowess.

Of course that's just my impression.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"

Return to “The Mosh Pit”