First ones on the ground in Operation Urgent Fury?

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Trigger
Tadpole

First ones on the ground in Operation Urgent Fury?

Post by Trigger »

Having a discussion with a 2LT (prior enlisted combat vet, so he's no cherry 2LT) who is stating that the 503rd MP Battalion was the first on the ground. I just can't believe that, knowing that the invasion was led by the 2nd Ranger Batt. who seized the airfield.

Is he right, and if he is, is it by a technicality? (i.e. their plane dropped them first, so they hit seconds before Rangers hit the ground?)
"A golf course is the willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range." - Lt. Col. Jeff Cooper (ret).
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Re: First ones on the ground in Operation Urgent Fury?

Post by K.Ingraham »

Trigger wrote:Having a discussion with a 2LT (prior enlisted combat vet, so he's no cherry 2LT) who is stating that the 503rd MP Battalion was the first on the ground. I just can't believe that, knowing that the invasion was led by the 2nd Ranger Batt. who seized the airfield.

Is he right, and if he is, is it by a technicality? (i.e. their plane dropped them first, so they hit seconds before Rangers hit the ground?)
"First on the ground" would be the Southern Command units stationed there since the dawn of time, or at least the 89 or so years that we had already occupied all or part of Panama.
Who rolled out of the cantonment gates seconds ahead of the other? Would the actions where US units attacked PDF forces on the same base qualify? How about the SF teams doing SR missions hours and days ahead of H-Hour?
Trying to define "First on the ground" is a pointless exercise in futility that proves or gains nothing.
Tell the LT that you just met the guy who struck the first blows of OJC - outside of a whorehouse in Gatun in October 1978 - with a couple of locals settling our mutual differences. :P
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
Trigger
Tadpole

Post by Trigger »

Ranger K. Ingraham,

I'm a bit confused by your reply, as wasn't Operation Urgent Fury was in Grenada? Is there something I'm missing or are we just talking about two different events? I know today is the anniversary of the invasion of Panama, maybe that is what is sparking the confusion.

- Trigger
"A golf course is the willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range." - Lt. Col. Jeff Cooper (ret).
PAC Man
Ranger

Post by PAC Man »

1/75 jumped ahead of 2/75 if that's what you're asking (not that it matters for much). I saw no MP's there. Wish I did though--- could have used some protection! :lol:
PAC Man
HHC/1-75 (80-84)
Rgr Class 12-81
Trigger
Tadpole

Post by Trigger »

PAC Man wrote:1/75 jumped ahead of 2/75 if that's what you're asking (not that it matters for much). I saw no MP's there. Wish I did though--- could have used some protection! :lol:
I finished my conversation with him with "Well, if they were first, it was probably a good thing because somebody needed to be there to tell those Rangers "HEY YOU, NO RUNNING! RANGE WALK!".

:lol:
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Trigger wrote:Ranger K. Ingraham,

I'm a bit confused by your reply, as wasn't Operation Urgent Fury was in Grenada? Is there something I'm missing or are we just talking about two different events? I know today is the anniversary of the invasion of Panama, maybe that is what is sparking the confusion.

- Trigger
Freaking hell, you're right!! It's the anniversary for Panama & so that's what I had on my mind.
Sheesh, pushing 'em out now!

Sorry Trigger, actual answer is in print in several books and articles (none of which I have at work with me) and memiors. That morning "dark side" SOF units hit targets around the island before & after the first Ranger elements landed on the airfield; and as we tend to forget around here, a Marine BLT was landing on several points on the northern 2/3ds of the island as well. So, my point still stands in that multiple units were arriving within minutes of each other. Who has the biggest dick? MY outfit of course....
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

Zonk 1/75 wrote:
Trigger wrote:I'm a bit confused by your reply, as wasn't Operation Urgent Fury was in Grenada?
Yes Trigger, Urgent Fury was the invasion of Grenada October 25, 1983.

Funny thing you should hear about the MP's in Grenada. We busted out a poser several years ago that was an MP or USAF Security Forces guy that made a similar claim. Wonder if he has re-surfaced.

Gonna have to find that old thread......................
That would be Rick Bernardi AKA Ranger Rick. He's kept his head down since I published part of his home address & phone number out in the open a few years back.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
ma91c1an
Triple Canopy

Post by ma91c1an »

The MP's flew into the airhead late, they air-landed, and hostilities in the vicinity of Pointe Salines had ceased by the time that they arrived. I no longer remember exactly when they came in, as it has been many years, and I never paid any attention to the MPs, but if I had to throw a time out there for the sake of argument, I would say that they arrived late in the afternoon of the first day. As far as I am aware, no MP heard a shot fired in anger.

Gunny Mooch can tell you precisely who was first onto the island, if he sees this thread.
-------
Classes 12, 13, and 14-81.
Company A, 2d Battalion (Ranger), 1st Platoon, "Bad 'Muthers," 1980-1984;
SFQC 4-84.
Company B, 2d Battalion, 1st Special Forces Group (Airborne), ODA 151, 1984-1986.
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

I thought that Gunny Highway was there first? :D
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
LRS Guy
Ranger

Post by LRS Guy »

The guy who writes the Ranger Digest is completely different from Rick Bernardi.

Can't remember his name but he is legit.
RS 1-92
1-504 PIR 89-90
3-504 PIR 90-92
H. Co 121 INF (LRSC) 97-00
134th INF (LRSD)01-02
Back to living the LRS Life in the 143rd LRSD!

Confirmed "Cynical, Sarcastic, Bastard"
SkyShark
US Army Vet (Airborne)

Post by SkyShark »

Ranger Luna wrote:I thought that Gunny Highway was there first? :D
:lol: :lol:
It's all good.
basicload
Ranger

Post by basicload »

Ranger Digest guy was tesheune or teshendune or something like that.
Cco 1/75 91-95
RTD RIP/PRE RANGER CADRE 95-97
Aco 3/75 97
Aco 1/75 00-03
RIP Class 6-91
Hooah School class 6-92
abnhawk
Ranger

Post by abnhawk »

Rick Tscherne. Cool guy, just ask him. :D
C 3/75 89 -91
RLTW!

Return to “The Mosh Pit”