Who will watch the watchmen?

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Jenny Lynn
Tadpole

Who will watch the watchmen?

Post by Jenny Lynn »

I was looking up the meaning of "quis custodiet ipsos custodes " (thanks to Ranger Rangertough's signature line), english translation = Who will watch the watchmen?

During my research, I stumbled upon the following link:

http://lonestartimes.com/2008/10/04/qui ... -custodes/

Where I found what was referred to as written by Mike Malone to be interestng and thought-provoking.

it is noted that Mike Malone is a widely read and prominent author and commentator on the high-tech industry, innovation and business.

He wrote:
"From where I sit, the United States government has embarked on two pieces of social engineering in the last few years. One was to make oil expensive as expensive as possible to drive people to greater use of alternative energy sources - because anything less would be irresponsible and destructive to the environment. The other was to enshrine home ownership (i.e., easy-to-obtain mortgages) as a new American right - because anything less would be unequal and racist.

None of us voted on these decisions - indeed, neither was even spoken about directly, much less debated. But nevertheless, both became national policy… and both have sparked national, now international, crises. Then, once they became crises, both were blamed on ‘greedy capitalism’, instead of what they really were: legislative interference into market forces.

and this:

As it happens, out here in Silicon Valley, we have been conducting our own social engineering experiments. Three, in fact, have been at least as sweeping as Freddie Mac’s changing of mortgage eligibility rules. One of them has been to wire the entire world in a huge, high-speed global information grid (the Internet). Another has been to restructure the entire entertainment industry and its pricing model (the iPod). And the third has been to empower the citizenry to form groups based upon common interests rather than the limitations of physical proximity (Web 2.0 - social networks).

Here’s the thing. All three of these multi-billion dollar projects have been pay-as-you-go, driven largely by individuals and companies that assume their own risk, they have instantly rewarded smart decisions and punished bad ones, they are tested every millisecond against human nature (i.e., the marketplace), they are biased towards efficiency over seniority, and most of all, they are voluntary.

Malone is a 21st century free-market optimist who believes we will survive and thrive in the future, not because of government, but because we will circumvent it in new and creative ways:

We will get out this current financial mess - not by government fiat, but because entrepreneurs and smart corporate executives and hard-working everyday people will innovate us out of it. They will come up with the new financial instruments that restructure this debt, the new technologies that will generate the wealth to make up for this loss (as they did after 9/11) and ultimately create more jobs than are right now being lost."

Wow what a concept driven largely by individuals and companies that assume their own risk, they have instantly rewarded smart decisions and punished bad ones, to me this is being accountable and responsible.

Is it too much to ask for this in the executive, judicial and legislative branches of our government?

I know I'm probably dreaming again, I need to stop that.
Jenny
Jenny
"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them.” Galileo Galilei

"If our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies, any and every method of protecting ourselves is morally right” Marcus Tullius Cicero

"By special Pastoral appointment."
Nomad
Ranger

Re: Who will watch the watchmen?

Post by Nomad »

The problem in Government is that you can not easily fire "Top Executives". The name of the disease is "Bureaucracy".

I agree with the author on his points about Silicon Valley. There was actually a really interesting article in a German publication about the social distancing going on nowadays due to all the "connect with me" websites. Personal interaction is largely lost so that impersonal communication can affect the bottom line....without ever looking at the other person. It's why office drones send each other emails with "to do" lists. While sitting one cubicle removed from each other.

Americans are a nation of entrepreneurs and as such will find ways to improve the status quo. The hordes of drones will lament this as it will force them to change their ways. But in the end they will, as all good sheep do.
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

I'm glad my quote got you thinking Jenny. Just call me Rangertough Ranger Ranger is a mouthful.

Tough
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.
Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

I thought you meant this

http://watchmenmovie.warnerbros.com/

If its even close to the comic it will be badass!
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
Boudicca
Tadpole

Post by Boudicca »

rangertough wrote:I'm glad my quote got you thinking Jenny. Just call me Rangertough Ranger Ranger is a mouthful.

Tough
Hahahahahaha. I'll just leave it be.
To be loved is to be fortunate, but to be hated is to achieve distinction.
<2> Ranger Mom
RIP 10-08 & RS 10-09
Jenny Lynn
Tadpole

Post by Jenny Lynn »

Boudicca wrote:
rangertough wrote:I'm glad my quote got you thinking Jenny. Just call me Rangertough Ranger Ranger is a mouthful.

Tough
Ah thanks Boudicca.
Jenny
"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them.” Galileo Galilei

"If our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies, any and every method of protecting ourselves is morally right” Marcus Tullius Cicero

"By special Pastoral appointment."
cback0220
Tadpole

Post by cback0220 »

Horned Toad wrote:I thought you meant this

http://watchmenmovie.warnerbros.com/

If its even close to the comic it will be badass!
I thought the same thing. X2 on the movie looking badass
"The nation that makes a great distinction between its warriors and its scholars will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

Boudicca wrote:

Tough
You Lady have a one track gutter. Funny but one track.

Tough
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.
cback0220
Tadpole

Post by cback0220 »

Tenn-RGR wrote:
Zonk 1/75 wrote:
Yes! The movie is seen very well ! :D
The movie looks very good. cback knows what Im talking about.
Crap man I never know what your saying!

Mixing Tennessen with Spanish is no way to speak! Plus we can't all be pro's like me :mrgreen:

Plus TENN-RGR you used that computer thing to translate. I am definently calling you out on that one! Unless of course you got the accent mark on your computer keyboard!!
"The nation that makes a great distinction between its warriors and its scholars will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."

Return to “The Mosh Pit”