Mumbai Terrorist Attacks

News posted by members of this site. If you want to publish your own article or have something of value for the front page please indicate it as such.
Before posting make sure it hasn't already been posted. Write a concise and pertinent intro if you are going to post here.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
Check for duplicates before posting, otherwise post it in the original thread. If you want to post an article of your own or find it significant for the front page please let us know. Rangers Lead the Way
allmylife
Tadpole

Mumbai Terrorist Attacks

Post by allmylife »

By Friday morning, authorities believed militants still were in two luxury hotels and a Jewish center in the city.

The following is what is known about the attacks:

• Gunmen arrived by boats at the Mumbai waterfront near the Gateway of India monument on Wednesday night, police said. The gunmen hijacked cars, including a police van, and split into at least three groups to carry out the attacks, according to police.

• One group headed toward the Cafe Leopold, a popular hangout for Western tourists, firing indiscriminately at passers-by on the street. The group then opened fire and lobbed grenades at the Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus railway station, authorities said.

Full Story

Rangers I know nothing about international politics or how SOF forces are ran. But why did this conflict go on so long without the Indian government admitting they could not handle the situation and asking for help? I am pretty certain US, British, or Israeli SOF units could have ended this thing in a more timely matter.
Operation Enduring Freedom (OCT 09 -AUG 10)
Chiron
Ranger

Re: Mumbai Terrorist Attacks

Post by Chiron »

From what I have read it was 10 different places at the same time and some of these hotels had thousands of rooms. Imagine how long it would take to clear them. I understand there was one British/Cypriot man that called his family and was even on a British news show (by cell telephone) saying he is okay, then a few minutes after he ended his call the terrorists arrived in the room he was in and asked for his passport. He showed a British passport and was shot and killed. It was and still is at the Taj a very fluid environment.

During the initial attacks the terrorists that where in the large hotels moved and could not be hit. Eventually they got them. Except for the Taj in which the hostage situation is still on going or at least was 1 hour ago.

Remember that even with the best case scenario a simple hostage situation takes time. Add to that thousands of rooms and the language issue. I have heard that Israel sent commandos to the Jewish place that was hit. Although not confirmed.

EDIT: The Oberoi hotel has 800 rooms. I understand the Taj is larger.
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

I also understand that at least one of the gunmen was from Pakistan and a few from Afghanistan the rest from India.

This attack required planning and logistics, which must have had external help. Although there has been Hindu/Muslim issues for many years and police have put the blame on that, I still believe that other terrorist organizations assisted. This was too big.

It wasn’t 7 places that were hit but 10 and they were hit all at once. Speed timing and weapons used indicate planning that took a long time.

One other thing that sticks to mind is that the terrorists were looking for U.S., British and Jewish or Israeli targets. That indicates that this wasn’t just about the Hindu/Muslim issue.
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

More news.

30 more dead were found at the Oberoi and 50 at the Taj.

Also I saw a very fast video of commandos fast roping in on the roof of the Jewish center. I could not tell who they where but the helo was not ours. It looked Indian but the commandos looked from a distance bigger than the standard Indian body type.

EDIT: The fast ropers on second look seem to be wearing the standard Indian black commando helmet.
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
---------
George S. Patton
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

I just watched CNN live outside Chabad house the Jewish center. All hell is breaking lose. Serious gunfire both heavy MG and other. Continuous fire like someone or some unit is in there cleaning house!

You can see Indian military outside and inside there is lots of shooting!

They say that there was a military ground assault from the ground floor and one from the roof. You can imagine what is going on inside!

They are trying to rap it up before nightfall.
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
---------
George S. Patton
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

According to CNN the situation at Chabad house has ended. No results or casualties have been posted.
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
---------
George S. Patton
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

So far 146 dead total and about 300 injured. There are explosions still on going at the Taj Hotel.

A high government official claims without guarantee that the attack was devised and planned from outside India. Chaos, now they are saying that there is commando movement on the roof of Chabad house and that it may not be over yet.

At the Taj hotel there is gunfire again and some explosions. Chaos total chaos!
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
---------
George S. Patton
allmylife
Tadpole

Post by allmylife »

The bodies of five hostages have been found at a Jewish center in Mumbai, according to reports, and fighting still rages at a hotel in the city two days after terrorists launched a series of deadly attacks.

Israeli Foreign Ministry official spokesman Haim Hoshen told an Israel news station five bodies had been found.
( Its still unclear at this point if the terrorists killed them or they were killed during the assault.)

The death toll from Wednesday's attacks in ten locations was 155 -- three Germans, two Americans, an Italian, a Briton, an Australian and one Chinese were among the at least 15 foreigners killed -- with a further 327 injured, CNN-IBN reported.

CNN also confirmed that the United States did offer SF forces and is still on stand-by if asked to enter the country.
Operation Enduring Freedom (OCT 09 -AUG 10)
PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

I stayed in that hotel about 20 months ago. This type of thing is bound to happen in a place as populated and tense as India.
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

A Greek/Cypriot was also shot and killed after he showed his British passport.

He was a ship owner. His worth was at 300 million sterling pounds. Not even money will save you!
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
---------
George S. Patton
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Post by rgrokelley »

Religion of Peace!

Since America wanted change, they should take a good look at this.
A & C Company, 3rd Ranger Battalion 1984-1986
2/325, 82nd Airborne 1979-1984
F Company, 51st LRSU 1986-1988
5th Special Forces Group 1989-1995
3rd Special Forces Group 1997-1999
RS - DHG 5-85
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

We have just observed a disciplined, well trained, band of terrorists terrorists at work, To achieve this level of violence, a lot of planning and preparation was needed. The question should be, who is responsible?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

Jim wrote:We have just observed a disciplined, well trained, band of terrorists terrorists at work, To achieve this level of violence, a lot of planning and preparation was needed. The question should be, who is responsible?
To me since they were after U.S., U.K. and Jewish citizens it points in one direction. The same one that brings in foreign fighters to join the Taliban. I believe its Al Qaida that paid for this and trained them.
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
---------
George S. Patton
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

TC204 wrote:
Jim wrote:We have just observed a disciplined, well trained, band of terrorists terrorists at work, To achieve this level of violence, a lot of planning and preparation was needed.
They're still freakin cowards.
Comforting words I suppose but a plan, an execution, and standoff like this isnt cowardly. Bold as hell I think. Straping bombs to women and kids and sending them amoung the masses...THAT is cowardly. Not sure who but you will notice....these fuckers are trained and committed. Going into a situation where you KNOW the end result is your death...call it what you will and label it anyway you like...I call it bold.
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.

Return to “The News Dump”