Intro

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

NoMoreRegrets
Tadpole

Intro

Post by NoMoreRegrets »

Hello. Name is Kyle. I'm a 33 (almost 34) yo father of 2, husband to an amazing wife, and I'm a world-champion desk-jockey, computer programmer for the last 12 years with many great achievements and records, like sitting my ass in front of my computer for more than 24 hours in a single sitting.

I hate what I do for a living. I hated it when I started, and I hate it now. There were a few times that it was enjoyable, like... well, no... come to think of it, it's sucked ass the whole time.

When I was 17 I wanted to join the Army, and join the Rangers. My parents dissuaded me and sent me to college, and so I went. I regretted it, but figured I would just join later. Well, later came, then I was dissuaded by my girlfiend, now wife. Hell, the cold war had wound down, lots of military folk, like my Uncle, were getting forced early retirement, and there didn't seem to be much need. So I forged on doing what I was doing - programming computers.

I regret not joining. I've regretted it even more since 9/11, but I thought I was too old to join then. I've just recently learned that I can join until my 35th birthday, and damnitall, that's what I'm going to do. No way in hell I'm going to be dissuaded by anyone - I will not live the rest of my life with this regret.

I'm shaping up right now - riding the desk doesn't help much in that department. I'm currently scoring mid to upper 50's on a self-adminstered APFT, and as soon as I can raise that to the 70's, I'm signing the enlistment papers. It wasn't too many years ago that I could max the scores in all the events - I can get there again. I'm no stranger to PT and that sweet PT pain. It'll just take me a few months to get fully reacquainted, but I will.

I've been lurking for a few days on these boards. I look forward to interacting with you all.
NoMoreRegrets
- better late than never.
Bugsy
Ranger

Post by Bugsy »

Welcome and good luck to you Bud!
1984 - 1985 5th Inf Div
1985 - 1986 75th Inf Ranger Regt
1986 - 1988 3/12 SFG (ABN)

The strength of the pack is the Wolf... and the strength of the Wolf is the pack... :twisted:
Vee
Ranger

Post by Vee »

Welcome, Kyle.

I applaud your attitude, resolve and efforts. I understand exactly where you are coming from, though I was only 28 when I enlisted.

I would be more than happy to help you get ready for the hurdles ahead of you. Ask all you want, and learn from the men on this board who have achieved what you aspire to do.

You'll find that although a little rough around the edges, we are the most helpful bunch of guys around...as long as you remain sincere.

And I like your screen name too.

Best of luck to you.

RLTW
RSD 96-99
AngryPistols
US Army Veteran

Post by AngryPistols »

Welcome and I hope your wife is behind you now with your impending decision.

Good Luck,

Angry
Angry

USA 95B 84-87, TXARNG 91B 88-89, CIV 89-present

"Yet each man kills the thing he loves, some do it with a bitter look, some with a flattering word, the coward does it with a kiss, and the brave man with the sword. " -Oscar Wilde
NoMoreRegrets
Tadpole

Post by NoMoreRegrets »

AngryPistols wrote:Welcome and I hope your wife is behind you now with your impending decision.
Well, no, she's not. In fact, I haven't told her yet. And it's not an impending decision - the decision has been made. When I tell her, I'll try to get her support. But in the end, it doesn't matter whether she is behind me or not - this is just something that I have to do, regardless. I kid you not, for years I have recalled this regret to mind on a daily basis - it's what I was born to do. Well, I can't go back and get rid of every regret, but I can damn sure put this one to bed - so that's what I'm gonna do.
NoMoreRegrets
Joseph PrettyDeepWater
Ranger

Post by Joseph PrettyDeepWater »

Good luck...

and Welcome

~Joseph
Bell

Post by Bell »

Welcome aboard and good luck. Your determination is to be commended. I like it.

RLTW
Bell
NoMoreRegrets
Tadpole

Post by NoMoreRegrets »

Bell wrote:Welcome aboard and good luck. Your determination is to be commended. I like it.

RLTW
Bell
JosephPDW wrote:Good luck...

and Welcome

~Joseph
V-Rod wrote:Welcome, Kyle.

I applaud your attitude, resolve and efforts. I understand exactly where you are coming from, though I was only 28 when I enlisted.

I would be more than happy to help you get ready for the hurdles ahead of you. Ask all you want, and learn from the men on this board who have achieved what you aspire to do.

You'll find that although a little rough around the edges, we are the most helpful bunch of guys around...as long as you remain sincere.

And I like your screen name too.

Best of luck to you.

RLTW
BeadleBug wrote:Welcome and good luck to you Bud!
Thanks a billion. I appreciate it. I wasn't sure how my story would be received - after all, I did let others dissuade me and choose for me all this time. <---- Avatar is in "honor" of that. I am bursting with questions, so brace your yourselves.
NoMoreRegrets
Kiknskreem
Tadpole

Post by Kiknskreem »

Welcome. Since you are bursting with questions it is highly recommended (actually it is required) that you read the FAQ's and search through the site some. You will most likely find the answers to many of your questions. Again, welcome.
Motivated. Dedicated. Heart and Soul.
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

Damn skippy!! :lol: That's what I like to see! You're doing the right thing, Amigo. I was in the same place you were. If I hadn't gone ahead and done it, I would've gone to my grave feeling the regret of never serving my country. As it turned out, I am more proud of my time in a Ranger Bat than any other accomplishment in my life. And the lifelong bonds I have made in the Ranger 'fraternity' are priceless. Go for it and show those kids how it's done! :wink: Best of luck to you and welcome to the site.
RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
NoMoreRegrets
Tadpole

Post by NoMoreRegrets »

Kiknskreem wrote:Welcome. Since you are bursting with questions it is highly recommended (actually it is required) that you read the FAQ's and search through the site some. You will most likely find the answers to many of your questions. Again, welcome.
Did I mention that I was a desk-jockey computer-geek? :D

Don't worry, I'll do my damndest to avoid asking any previously asked questions.
NoMoreRegrets
NoMoreRegrets
Tadpole

Post by NoMoreRegrets »

EarthPig wrote:Damn skippy!! :lol: That's what I like to see! You're doing the right thing, Amigo. I was in the same place you were. If I hadn't gone ahead and done it, I would've gone to my grave feeling the regret of never serving my country. As it turned out, I am more proud of my time in a Ranger Bat than any other accomplishment in my life. And the lifelong bonds I have made in the Ranger 'fraternity' are priceless. Go for it and show those kids how it's done! :wink: Best of luck to you and welcome to the site.
RLTW
EP
You were 33/34 too Ranger EP? The biggest hurdle is by far getting my wife on board - still working on how to break it to her.

Thanks for the encouragement. I don't need it mind you ;-), but I still like it!
NoMoreRegrets
RideGrrl
Tadpole

Post by RideGrrl »

NoMoreRegrets,

I'm no Ranger, no Soldier or Veteran, and not even American, and so my $0.02 doesn't bear nearly the weight of those I just listed. But for what it's worth, I've been reading these introductions and have gotten to know a few Rangers and Soldiers here, and it's had nothing but a positive influence on me. The integrity found around this site is so thick it could be cut with a knife. Your introduction was consistent with the kind of grit I see in these guys, and I wish you all the luck in the world in using it to become a Ranger. I loved your introduction. Welcome.
NoahH
Ranger

Post by NoahH »

Welcome.

I did a little research over on SOCNET and found a possible solution on how to tell your wife you're enlisting in the Army. Here ya go

Return to “Introduction Archive”