Is normal pt hurting me?

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
b_thebeau
US Army

Is normal pt hurting me?

Post by b_thebeau »

I am active duty and do pt with my unit every morning. Our run days are usually three times a week and consist of either sprints or a "distance" run. The sprints I can see would help no matter what, but my question is this:
If the distance runs are generally no more than 3-4 miles long and at a pace that is set by slower runners,(often including myself)... is it still possible for me to get the proper distance and speed training in to get prepared for RIP? I feel like after 3 miles in the morning, trying to run 5 miles in what little evening i have left might be hurting my body's recovery process. I feel like I can do pushups, situps, pullups, and other random excercises throughout the day at work and at home with no hinderance. Does anyone have any insight on what I should do? Is training for distance even possible while still doing pt with my unit?

Thank you all ahead of time
Brendan
Shoot em in the face
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Concern yourself with performance on the PT test. A max score should be your goal. Unless you are a seasoned distance runner, I advise against running in the evenings. You do need recovery or you will be setting yourself up for injury. For RIP, you'll have to complete 5 miles in 40 minutes. If you can manage better than 13 minutes for two miles, I doubt you will have much trouble. Try a long distance run once a week on the weekend. Time yourself for 5 miles and post the results.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

Have you tried asking your chain of command if you and a few other soldiers who want to run farther and/or faster can set up a long-distance/ fast-run group?

Surely there is at least one NCO in your unit that has the ability to run more than 4 miles who could lead the run. Do your research, locate the personnel who can lead and participate in the longer and/or faster run. If you present this in the correct way, your chain of command should be open to the idea of Soldiers wanting to improve themselves.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

If you are already one of the slower runners in your unit, I would say that the runs you are currently doing aren't helping you much. Do some research in this forum, and you'll find some proven programs. Perhaps you can get your COC to lokk at implementing a more solid PT program. Obviously, the runs you're doing now aren't hurting you, but if you're not improving, you need to tweak the program. Maybe add some jump rope, squat kicks, and lunges. Do some circuit training, and make your runs part of them. This will build your stamina.

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
b_thebeau
US Army

Post by b_thebeau »

Thank you both very much. Its true that I dont feel like im improving with the current pt format. I discussed with my NCO and He agreed to take me one on one 3 times a week and form a custom-tailored plan to fit my needs. Your advice has helped.
Shoot em in the face

Return to “About Army Physical Training”