New to Firearms, Advice Needed

Rifles, Machineguns, Mortars, etc...
Trigger
Tadpole

Re: New to Firearms, Advice Needed

Post by Trigger »

#1: There is no such thing as true "assault weapon" outside of NFA regulated firearms in the United States. It if it's not select fire, it's not an assault weapon. That's an inaccurate term used by the libratards.

#2: AR's are legal in CA...with a catch. They much be off list receivers and built in compliance with the law. That means either a "featureless" build or a "fixed magazine" requires a tool (a bullet) to remove. Check out the information on the homepage of calguns.net to answer all your AR-15 related questions.

#3: I don't recommend an AR-15 for your first rifle anyways, especially in CA, where you are dancing with felony charges if you put the wrong features on the gun. I recommend you buy a Ruger 10/22. The rifle will cost a 1/4 of what even a basic AR-15 would cost you and the ammo will cost a 1/10th of what 5.56/.223REM costs. It's semi-automatic and more accurate than you. If you ever "outgrow" its accuracy (which very few shooters do), it can be upgraded.

#4: For handguns, there are a myriad of quality choices. I'd suggest a .22LR like a Browning Buckmark or a Ruger MkIII. I'd suggest a Glock 17 if you're too stubborn to get a .22 first. It's as idiot proof as a weapon can be. They also make .22 conversion kits for it. 1911's are nice as well, but more expensive to get quality and they can be finicky. I own and compete with both 1911's and Glocks; although I favor the Glock platform. I run everything from nearly box stock Glocks to full blown race guns built on Glock frames.

#5: Seek quality training. Not your uncle's best friend's cousin who is ex-Swat or whatever. Find a range and find a certified instructor. You will save money in the long run by not wasting ammo practicing incorrectly.

If you still have your heart set on an AR-15, go to calguns.net, learn the law, and proceed with caution. A basic AR-15 (M16A2 clone) will cost about $1200 these days. I build my own AR's and they run anywhere from $800 to $3500 depending on what they are.

Buy a .22LR conversion for it (Ceiner Industries). That way you can actually afford to shoot it, as 5.56/.223REM costs about $0.40 a round nowadays for basic quality stuff. Match grade is nearly double that, and the cheapest shit out there is still $0.25 a round at least (and it's shit).

If anything from this post sticks with you, let it be calguns.net. That is where you can learn all about the laws regarding AR-15's in CA.
"A golf course is the willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range." - Lt. Col. Jeff Cooper (ret).

Return to “Weapons of War”