APFT Score - Personal Motivation

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
Bravo57
Ranger

Post by Bravo57 »

Once you hit muscle failure doing pushups, drop to your knees and do as many more as you can. When you can't do any more on your knees, see how long you can stay in the front leaning rest.

Also, there are some great workout programs here on the site. Find one that sounds interesting to you and get on it.

Maybe think about some good weight gainers from a GNC. Talk with the sales rep that looks in shape. Most of them are pretty knowledgable, better yet, speak with a personal trainer and tell them what your goals are, they love to "talk shop".
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

Don't worry about the haters. I was exactly your size when I went to basic training.. and no, I couldn't do a push up to save my life then . I've always had trouble with them, but the only way to get better is to do them. Vary the routine, throw in a little weight training and some aerobics and you will get there eventually. Rome wasn't built in a day. (If it was we'd be using their contractor..) There are some really excellent programs linked on here.

As for the weight, I dunno what to tell you. I was made Ranger buddies with a kid on the "fat-boy" program. Whatever he couldn't eat, I had to. That and I had to double up on starches and desserts. (made for interesting meal times) I had to learn how to shovel food and if I could taste it I was eating too slow.

Just be consistent and stick to a routine. You will get there.
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
LRS Guy
Ranger

Post by LRS Guy »

EAT MORE!!!! You have to feed the machine!

If you want to be an animal........you have to eat animals!!!!!!

If you are interested might look at the WOD (workout of the day) at www.crossfit.com scale the program to meet your needs (ie increase/decrease reps/weight).

Also don't forget to work on the run! I'm a big fan of fartlicks. Do a 1/4 slow then sprint a 1/4 work up to 4 miles. Again you can scale based on your ability. Sprint for 1 minute, slow for 2 minute...whatever.

I envy you young man. I have loved my time in the military, often wish I could start all over and do it again. There will be times that really suck, but you will have enough adventures for a lifetime.

Good luck!
RS 1-92
1-504 PIR 89-90
3-504 PIR 90-92
H. Co 121 INF (LRSC) 97-00
134th INF (LRSD)01-02
Back to living the LRS Life in the 143rd LRSD!

Confirmed "Cynical, Sarcastic, Bastard"
JoeDGrinder
Future Soldier/ 18 Series

Post by JoeDGrinder »

Rangers,
I am disgusted and I do not know what else to say. I could make excuses and provide reasons for my scores but in the end it comes down to this: I failed myself, my family and I failed all of you on these forums who have provided me with advice and support. I post these scores to remind myself where I am and how far I have to go.

Push Ups: Failed, 0 (-7)
Sit Ups: 40 (-2)
2-mile Run: Failed, Stopped at 1-mile 9:50 (20:07)
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

JoeDGrinder wrote:Rangers,
I am disgusted and I do not know what else to say. I could make excuses and provide reasons for my scores but in the end it comes down to this: I failed myself, my family and I failed all of you on these forums who have provided me with advice and support. I post these scores to remind myself where I am and how far I have to go.

Push Ups: Failed, 0 (-7)
Sit Ups: 40 (-2)
2-mile Run: Failed, Stopped at 1-mile 9:50 (20:07)
Oh for fucks' sake. It was a diagnostic test...pure assessment. Back off the ledge.

You haven't failed anything you just know where you stand.

Wipe the snot off your chin and attack the problem.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
JoeDGrinder

Post by JoeDGrinder »

Ranger Kilted Heathen,

Thank you for your encouragement, I did not mean to sound so defeatist I was just furious with my self that I could not keep going or hell even get started with some of the events. I just know where I need to be and it is fustrating to slide like this, however I have my sight fixed on my goal and I will keep moving forward.
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

What's the bigger issue here? Are we missing something? Or are you just really, really out of shape? You aren't fat, do you just lack upper body strength? What's the problem when you run?

In addition to all the other advice, try upping your protein intake.
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

If you think you can't, you never will...

Per Ranger JLTW!!!'s request, post exactly what you are doing for PT.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
JoeDGrinder

Post by JoeDGrinder »

Ranger JLTW,
I apologize for the delay here is my current PT and my new PT (work in progres)

Old:
W,F,Sa - Rowing Practice (Rowing Machine - endurance or strength pieces based on Coach's mood)
M,W,F - Weightlifting (Whole Body - 3 Sets of 10 or 12/10/8 High-Med/High Weights, takes about 1-2 hours with my friend0)
Tu, Th - Run 3-4 miles, intervals of either 1/2 or 1/4 mile

New:
M,W,F - Weightlifting (Same as above.) plus Pushups (3 Sets of 10 Each - Diamonds, Wide and Regular), Core (Flutter Kicks 5 - 4 count, Sit Ups 40, Leg Spreader 5 - 4 count)
Su, W - 2 mile Run, Fast pace
M, Th - 20 minute run, slow-moderate pace
Tu, Fri - 4 mile run, intervals of 1/4
All Days - Stretching for 2 -3 Minutes

However the pushups are going to be assisted/knee push ups b/c as you all know I cannot do 15 pushups consecutively, should I do these or just do max regular push ups?

Ranger Ranger Bill,
Thank you for the reminder and the encouragement.

Ranger BadMutherm
I am out of shape, Sir. Rowing has helped increase my cardio and strength (back, legs, core and triceps) however it does not help my chest neither did the 23 years of my life I spent prior to this doing nothing but sitting on my ass playing video games. I am making improvements weightlifting however my arms and chest are still weak, highest bench atm is 100 hoping to add 30 to that today. I will increase my protein intake as directed.
Gordo173
Ranger

Re: APFT Score - Personal Motivation

Post by Gordo173 »

Don't do pushup's on your knees!!!

I never did a push up in my life until I joined the Army and I joined late (25 yrs old). Just do em and do em and do em and then repeat. With all the rowing work you're doing there is no way you shouldn't be getting better PT scores. Who's grading you? Something tells me you are quitting on yourself and then allowing a very negative attiitude to get the better of you. Look hard and deep stud! If any of this is ringing true or striking a cord you may wish to reconsider your aspirations. There are other equally as honorable career fields in the Army and the Military as a whole, no one will slight you for them.
Rangering isn't for everyone. If you still want to pursue this course then only hard work and a positive, never quit attitude is the needed. Do you have that ability?!

Good Luck.
Wpns/C/2-75(INF)(RGR)(ABN)
1/1/C/2-75(INF)(RGR)(ABN)
C,HHC,D/3-6(INF)(Mech)
HHC/2-504 PIR
A/1-504 PIR
HHC/1-82(ABN)
Oopps almost forgot Class 4-84

"Always with the negative waves Moriarity!"

Return to “About Army Physical Training”