Im an OLD guy going to School!! Holy Sh*$

Three phases and 62 days of hell. This section named in honor of MAJ John Whyte who was taken from us on 04/17/05.
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

You're in the right forum for your answers. Just research the topics here. Just about everything you wanted to know about RS is right here.

You were a NOGO, however. :lol: Your first order of business should've been to post an intro in the proper forum. Please post an intro, read the FAQs, and do some rsearch. There is a Physical Fitness forum with some great workout ideas, too.

Best of luck to you. Thanks for your extended service to our fine country.

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

Congrats on your desire to go to the suck at an advanced age. I for one, am also 40... as are a number of us here. However, I went many many years ago. We had a 39 year old SGM in our class... he was recycled, but I heard he eventually made it.

1. DO NOT QUIT. PERIOD.

2. DO NOT GET INJURED. PERIOD.

3. MEMORIZE the RANGER CREED, by heart, every stanza, before you get there.

4. DO NOT CHOKE SLAM THE YOUNG BUCKS AROUND YOU.

Seriously though, there are some on here, that work at Pre-Ranger and are current RI's that will advise you better than I can.

The hardest part for you will be keeping yourself in the mind set. There's some silly shit that goes on... you have to be able to tune it out, and stay motivated. Your peers will test you, call you gramps, the likes... just roll with it.

Injuries suck. At our age, the body does not snap back. Ranger School sucks, and it sucks for many days in a row, with no rest. It takes a toll on the body, even a young body. So, use your ultimate weapon... Your maturity and your mind.

AS far as I know, the APFT is a deal breaker. You have to meet the standards or you will not get in. Show up WAY early, Very short (bald) hair cut, no facial hair, proper uniform, paperwork in order, and be ready to give 100% and then some.

Don't be a spotlight Ranger.

I think, my old ass covered everything I can think of. Someone will be along very shortly to address things for you. Thank you for your willingness to do this... keep us posted as to your status. Some of us old guys will be pulling for you!!!

As EP said... Intro's are SOP.

Cheers!
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

The honor graduate in my class was a 42 year old SF CPT. At 40 you may or may not be the oldest in your class. The key and critical thing, however, is never, never quit.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

wazzle wrote:I have not been there but both my sons have. The story I hear is watch out for a squad full of young West Pointers who are going through school with you. They will try to gang up and peer out people who they don't feel meet their standards. With your age and experience, I hope you have knowledge in weapons that they don't, as that will help. Buddy up with a Ranger from the 75th Regiment and that may help also. Lastly, watch for the RI's, they have been know to try little tricks to trip you up, like things in your ruck that aren't allowed. Good luck and thanks for your service.
wazzle, you will refrain from dispensing advice in this forum. Stay in your lane. Your two Ranger sons may come on & say the same thing you said here but you may not.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Rangerguru
Ranger

Post by Rangerguru »

First of all, don't take advice from people that haven't been there. Second, I had a buddy that went straight through at 38 so it can be done. The first week is definitely going to suck, but after that, it's mostly just walking through the woods and patrolling, which you have obviously done a time or two. Good luck and don't quit!!!
Ranger Class 3/96
25th ID 93-96
10th Motown 96-99
C Co. 4th RTB 99-04
Gubment Contractor OCONUS 07-present

Gun Safety Tip #6. When unholstering your weapon it's customary to say "Excuse me while I whip this out "
CatFish Driver
Ranger

Post by CatFish Driver »

I went thru with a 1SG who was 39. He was a stud. Never complained, helped whenever he could. He was a great follower, and played joe bag of donuts well. Being in charge was no sweat for him and the cadre only gave him the bare minimum of leadership roles. They actually told him he couldn't be a team leader in Florida later in the field problem because too many SL's were using him patrol after patrol, to which he always agreed to and performed awesomely.

My advice--never complain, always volunteer for the jobs no one wants (shitty guard shifts if you actually get sleep, carrying the 203 (LOM) vest, etc.), always help out those less experienced than you, but don't let the cadre see you do it, when not in charge be a good follower, and most important--never ever quit.
Ranger School Class 08-02

"Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice, moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
--Senator Barry Goldwater
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Only the mental part of Suck School can stand in your way, if you let it. You'll be treated like every other Joe in the class and more than likely a little more so becasue of your experience. Just drive on and get your shit.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
rgrwest
Ranger

Re: Im an OLD guy going to School!! Holy Sh*$

Post by rgrwest »

Wonder if he is still in? Anyone know that works at RTB?
Rgrwest
RC 13-87
C Co, 1-504 PIR, 84-89
B Co, 5th RTB, 89-92
A, 1-501 (ABN), 93-95
C, 2-11 INF (IOBC), 95-98
HHC, 1-509 PIR, 98-02
USASMA, 02- Instructor
OIF I - Feb 03-Jul 03 (Attached OPS SGM)
USASMA, 04 - Student
HHC, 1-30 INF, 3-3 ID, 04-06 (OPS SGM)
OPSGRP, JRTC, 06-07 (TF SGM)
G3, SETAF (Vicenza, Italy) 07-09 (G3 SGM)
RRDTm3
Ranger

Post by RRDTm3 »

rgrwest wrote:Wonder if he is still in? Anyone know that works at RTB?

We got his name?
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
Ranger Instructor 4th RTB
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

"I will never out rank stupid people"

Mentor to Myself
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

He has not submitted anything since November 2008.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

rgrwest wrote:Wonder if he is still in? Anyone know that works at RTB?
Figure the odds...
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"

Return to “About Ranger School - In Honor of Ranger BattleBoar - RIP”