Guard to RA, reclassing to 68W

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
RTO
BANNED

Re: Guard to RA, reclassing to 68W

Post by RTO »

visith wrote:Did OIF 05-06 and 07-08 but looking for more than what I can get in the National Guard, I've submitted the 4187 and 368 which I've been told have a good chance of being signed off on, from five other guys who've gone active and because my state will lose me anyways since I've moved.

I'd like to serve as a combat medic in the Regt but from what I've read I can't get Opt 40 or airborne or even an MOS change, the only thing I can count on is choice of duty station. If I can at least get airborne then there is the chance of going to RIP from there, and if I get 68W AIT then I'll put in a RIP application from there. But if all that's available is duty station, what location would be my best bet? If I get Ft Bragg or Vicenza* I'm assuming that I'll be sent to airborne school but I won't be allowed to enter RIP since at that point I'd already have a home unit.

I'm an 11B, SPC, no tab, ETS beginning of April but I'd like to get an early January ship date.

* Will 173rd still be an airborne unit? http://www.setaf.army.mil/Pressrelease. ... nal%20Jump
I got my option 40 (it was called 'unassigned Ranger' back in the day) after serving in the National Guard. Pretty sure you can make the jump from NG to regular Army and get that option 40, too. Also pretty sure you will NOT be able to be re-trained or be able to switch MOS to 68W. You are 11B, that is what you will stay. Your option 40 contract (assuming you fufill your end of the contract) will get you all the training to become an Airborne Ranger and get you assigned somewhere in the 75th Ranger Regiment.
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

The 173rd is and will still be an ABN unit.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg

Return to “Recruitment Process”