Post by Silverback »

That is a horrible fake!
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
dyks
Ranger

Post by dyks »

I can understand your skepticism but the science works out. There was an isreali f-15 that did something similar in the eighties.

When he regains control he's hanging on the prop using his vertical stab/rudder to keep his pitch under control, his remaining wing then becomes his rudder. Were he to drop that wing, he would turn back into the spin(asymmetric lift).

This is the same attitude he holds above the ground as the aircraft decelerates, he then lays it over on the wheels just prior to the stall. hard to do but with enough horsepower and airmanship, it's possible. It's real man, the guy is good.
B CO 3/75 96-98

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
dyks
Ranger

Post by dyks »

I stand corrected

"I am the engineer and engine builder for Mike Mangold, 2X Red Bull Air Race champion, and I'm also an aerobatic pilot. Trust me, its fake. The plane spun to the left while missing a right wing, impossible, it takes lift to spin, no right wing, no left hand spin. Good photo shop work, but definitely fake. The title was the give away, as everybody knows Mike Mangold is the best air race pilot ever.

It was an inside spin, also, there is not enough rudder, or power (short of an RC plane)to sustain level flight muchless arrest a high sink rate. Contrary to popular belief, there is little to NO lift from the fuselage, meaning that power/thrust alone kept the plane from crashing. The Giles has a single wing, tip to tip, I doubt they have ever had a mid span failure.
The landing was total B.S., it rolled about 1 fuselage length. You cant do that with both wings and trust reverse".

I've submitted it to snopes-we'll see, but yeah-looks like I'm wrong.

not the first time, won't be the last

:?
B CO 3/75 96-98

dyks
Ranger

Post by dyks »

B CO 3/75 96-98

Return to “The Mosh Pit”