Looking to adopt a new member

Rifles, Machineguns, Mortars, etc...
McD
Ranger

Looking to adopt a new member

Post by McD »

I've decide to take a homeless single stack .45 (1911) off of the street and welcome it into my home.

Can't decide if I want to spend a little up front (500-700) and tweak as needed or start out with a little more gun right off the bat. I'm not interested in some custom Wilson or Les Baer.

Lower end$ : Spinger Mil-Spec, STI Spartan

Upper$: Springer Loaded (Combat or Target), Kimber Custom II, STI Trojan.

Looking for a 5" that will go bang everytime I pull the trigger and is reasonably accurate.

Since there seems to be a few shooters here I'm looking for your opinions. Searching the web leads you to mostly negative reviews for everything.... no one posts positive stuff.... only whats wrong or what bad things has happened to them!

What cha got for me?
C 2/75, 1st Plt, Wpns Sqd 76-79
RS 3-78
Mattoon's Goons

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve --
is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
McD
Ranger

Post by McD »

Thanks Tater. They do take a beating out on the net. My local gunshop is a dealer and can get one for me at a fairly reasonable price.

The Pimp in me likes the looks Eclipse.

Must be everyone else here likes their "Girly" 9mm Blocks! :wink:
RS 3-78
Mattoon's Goons

is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

My Kimber Custom II does not like the Chip McCormick magazines, but does very well using $$ Wilson mags. I think the slide lock is the problem with the CM mags, but I haven't felt a need to work on it yet. I can recommend the Kimbers . If you want to go double stack then the Para Ordnance LDA's are very sweet .
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

I've got a Springer Loaded. I like it. front site set screw backed about halfway out during the first 200 rounds. tightened her back up and that's the only issue I've had with it.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

Kimber is a finely tuned weapon with remarkable tolerances built into a 1911 frame. Phenominal crafsmanship, reliability, and accuracy out of the box. Found that they do not facilitate dirty shooting very well or extensive high intensity shooting durations. Mag drops seem slower than other weapons such as Glock and XD's. But if you are looking for a beautiful handgun, superb craftsmanship, and just an excellent all around American made weapon that will kill a motherfucker dead....good choice.
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

Flesh Thorn wrote:My Kimber Custom II does not like the Chip McCormick magazines
That was a few hundred rounds ago. I just shot 16 rounds through my Kimber using CM magazines and it was flawless. When I first tried CM mags there would be a FTC at least 2x per magazine. If you go with a N.I.B. Kimber it may take a few more hundred rounds to break in than another brand of 1911.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
McD
Ranger

Post by McD »

As I keep digging deeper I have some how slid into a higher $$ bracket. From what I have gathered here and other sites you do get what you pay for. If I decide on a Kimber I have decided to go up a level or 2... I really like the Raptor and from what I have read they are not their "Standard" production build. For STI I am leaning towards the Trojan as it seems to be well rated and a good shooter out of the box. I am a Springfield fan but I to have heard about the hit or miss as far as machining and fit.

The biggest problem in my area (Hick ville NY) is there are not many dealers who stock a selection of handguns. They can and will order anything you want and I can get a handgun for a pretty good price but I will have to take what I can get. So I need to be carefull.

Thanks for you input guys.... I will let you know!
RS 3-78
Mattoon's Goons

Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

I have a now old Kimber from 1995 back when they were just supposed to be a good gun at a good price. I wont trade it for anything because it’s a good solid gun. For what they cost now I would just save a little more and get a Bear. I have also seen some of the Kimber compacts have some reliability issues.
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92

Return to “Weapons of War”