Father with question about Basic

Basic & AIT
MarcRaiderfan
Embryo

Father with question about Basic

Post by MarcRaiderfan »

My son started basic on the 8th after 9 days in reception. I know much has changed since I was there. Does anyone remember when you were able to contact yout parents with an address? I am not sure if he will get a 30 second call like I did or if I will have t wait for a letter.

Thanks for the info,

Marc
MarcRaiderfan
Embryo

one more thing

Post by MarcRaiderfan »

I should have added that he has the RIP option and is at Fort Benning.

Thanks again
soldiersdad
Ranger Dad

Post by soldiersdad »

Hi, You will get the 30 second phone call after he goes downrange. But he might not have time to tell you the address then, might have to wait for letter for that
MarcRaiderfan
Embryo

Post by MarcRaiderfan »

Thanks, that is kind of what I figured. Do you have any idea when he goes downrange? Do you mean firing range?
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

MarcRaiderfan

Post by Steadfast »

Get an avatar.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
42L5V
Ranger

Post by 42L5V »

Tradoc mandates a phone call home within the first 72 hours after they arrive at OSUT. He might not have the time or knowledge to give you his address. Most units insist on a letter home within the first week.
MSG, U.S. Army, 1987-2007
RSClass 10-92
MarcRaiderfan
Embryo

Post by MarcRaiderfan »

Thanks 42L5V. I appreciate the information. Oh and thanks Steadfast for the kick in the butt to get an avatar..
soldiersdad
Ranger Dad

Post by soldiersdad »

Hi,l Going down-range is a term used when a soldier leaves reception and actually starts Basic. That is when the actual training time starts and midcycle, turning blue, graduation is all started from then. Very little contact with him the first 3 weeks, then after that things start to loosen up a littl. soldiersdad, PAD of Sgt Troy heading to Bragg for SFQC
MarcRaiderfan
Embryo

Post by MarcRaiderfan »

soldiersdad wrote:Hi,l Going down-range is a term used when a soldier leaves reception and actually starts Basic.

I see, then he would have gone down range 3 days ago. It's all good, I don't expect any contact for the first few weeks. I have printed off some of the posts here about OSUT and RIP to send to him for motivation. I figure I will put one in every letter. I want him to be able to hear form the guys that have done it opposed to the whinning wannabes he is probably surrounded by. I do appreciate the input.

Marc
Bravo57
Ranger

Post by Bravo57 »

MarcRaiderfan wrote:
soldiersdad wrote:Hi,l Going down-range is a term used when a soldier leaves reception and actually starts Basic.

I see, then he would have gone down range 3 days ago. It's all good, I don't expect any contact for the first few weeks. I have printed off some of the posts here about OSUT and RIP to send to him for motivation. I figure I will put one in every letter. I want him to be able to hear form the guys that have done it opposed to the whinning wannabes he is probably surrounded by. I do appreciate the input.

Marc
And tell him to not believe anything he "hears" about RIP or any other rumors. It's all bullshit. Just excuses of those who chose to Quit, and are trying to make it (air quotes) "OK" that they did.
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
MarcRaiderfan
Embryo

Post by MarcRaiderfan »

Thanks Bravo57. I will pass that along. This board is really a wealth of knowledge. I wish he would have signed up before he left and got some advice from all of you that have walked the walk.

I feel like I should share a little about my boy. My son is that he was going to go to college because he thought that is what I wanted. He scored close 1700 on his SAT's. He was enrolled in college and was going to play football when I found out he was only going to college for me, not for him. So I asked him what he really wanted to do. He said "I want to be a Ranger". I told him that I will be proud of him no matter what he does as long as he is using his potential. So literally the next day he had a enlistment form for me to sign since he wasn't 18 for another couple weeks. I talked to the recruiter and made sure he had the RIP option in his contract and 3 weeks later he was off to reception. He had to spend 9 days in reception(which seemed like a long time). I figure that is because he is young and they wanted to ship him out before he changed his mind(which wouldn't have happened). So today is the end of his 3rd day in OSUT.

He has a lot of heart and is definatley a team player. He has natural leadership skills and although he wasn't in the best shape (for him) that he could have been in, he is a strong kid. He played football in HS and was a tight end..6'2" about 200lbs. I know he will do well, but he isn't a small agile guy, but after he loses 20 lbs in OSUT he should be fine. I know he should breeze through OSUT and Airborne School. It sounds like RIP is going to be his first real test.

I appreciate all of your advice since I can tell him about basic and airborne school, but then again I didn't go through infantry training either, I can't share any personel experience beyond that .

If I sound like a concerned father, I am. As any father that has expereinced it knows, it's a mixture of pride and sadness when your boy becomes a man and leaves the nest. I raised him and his brother(16) by myself so we are really close. There have been a lot of proud moments, but none more so then when he made his own decision to try and become a ranger.

Thanks again for all your input,

Marc
Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Post by Ranger Ron »

Marc, sounds like you have a pretty grown up son. You must have done a good job.

Welcome here and later you can get your son to join.
SUA SPONTE - "We few, we happy few, we BAND OF BROTHERS;
for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother!"
- Shakespeare

RLTW! - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave

RS 3-70
SSG VN 69-70
I Co., 75th. Inf.
4/9 Inf., 25th ID

Mentored Ranger kozzman555
http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 183
http://www.ranger.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 3537
MarcRaiderfan
Embryo

Post by MarcRaiderfan »

I just got an update from my son's friend. He called him yesterday and was still in reception. That means he has been there for 15 days. From the sounds of it he starts OSUT tomorrow, but not sure. Crazy how long they stay in reception.
Mom2aSoldier
Embryo

Re: Father with question about Basic

Post by Mom2aSoldier »

MarcRaiderfan wrote:My son started basic on the 8th after 9 days in reception. I know much has changed since I was there. Does anyone remember when you were able to contact yout parents with an address? I am not sure if he will get a 30 second call like I did or if I will have t wait for a letter.

Thanks for the info,

Marc
Hi Marc. My son left for Ft. Benning on July 15, sat in reception until the 25th and called home on the 27th. The call lasted less than 30 seconds and he was gone. He was able to tell my husband he was there and ok. We received out letter from his Cadre within the week. Since that call, there has been no contact other than us writng and sending cards to him. Hopefully you will hear from him soon and good luck to your son in his mission to become a Ranger.

Rose

Return to “About OSUT”