New guy sets me straight

Experiences of those who wear/wore the scroll.
battleforcebulldog
Ranger

Purdy LZ

Post by battleforcebulldog »

Is Purdy LZ an LZ that used to be known as Ledo DZ?

In RS class 3-92 they had high winds on the DZ (Ledo DZ) and some of the experienced jumpers were complaining on the DZ. Purdy came back to the PZ and was yelling about how big of pussies we were. He proceeds to put on a chute and jump. After the jump he came back with a huge limp, still telling everybody what pussies we were. That was an eye opener.

On my jump later that day, my 6th one, I landed in the trees with a sprained ankle. It also landed me as the 4th RTB CQ for a couple of days. There I got to listen to CSM Purdy a lot. He was able to mix in some great concise "how to train" advice with his "countries we should nuke" opinions. The Army back then needed more CSM Purdys.
RS 5-92, 327th Infantry May 92 to Jun 95. 100% civilian ever since.
RRDTm3
Ranger

Re: Purdy LZ

Post by RRDTm3 »

battleforcebulldog wrote: On my jump later that day, my 6th one, I landed in the trees with a sprained ankle. It also landed me as the 4th RTB CQ for a couple of days. There I got to listen to CSM Purdy a lot. He was able to mix in some great concise "how to train" advice with his "countries we should nuke" opinions. The Army back then needed more CSM Purdys.

Only drops pull that duty not dudes who were still inside the 72 hr window.
Sounds fishy. I don't fish
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
Ranger Instructor 4th RTB
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

http://www.myspace.com/forcedentryrocks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I will never out rank stupid people"

Mentor to Myself
battleforcebulldog
Ranger

RE: Fishing Story

Notice my profile says I graduated 5-92 and the story was from 3-92. I was a medical recycle, saved by the Christmas break. That's right I was a two time recycle, did Benning 1.5 times and the Mountains 2 times. The CQ was at the Benning RTB Bn HQ.

I was there at Benning when the trail helicopter jumpmaster sent his jumpers out on the execute order to the lead helicopter, when the guy died (Sickle Cell related issues) on the way up to Yonah (SFC Tibbit, spelled T-I-B-B-I-T, was telling him what a sorry SOB he was when he passed out), when the guy fell climbing and his belay man tried to catch him (faller was medically discharged later, belay man was booted). I was there when the SFC Wilkerson was training for Best Ranger in the Mountains. He built Darby Queen like obstacles by the field. I was there when some crazy Bat Boys in the Mountain Gulag borrowed vehicles from the motor pool and went drinking in Atlanta a couple of nights.

So I say to you "Go Fish."
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

battleforcebulldog wrote:RE: Fishing Story

Notice my profile says I graduated 5-92 and the story was from 3-92. I was a medical recycle, saved by the Christmas break. That's right I was a two time recycle, did Benning 1.5 times and the Mountains 2 times. The CQ was at the Benning RTB Bn HQ.

I was there at Benning when the trail helicopter jumpmaster sent his jumpers out on the execute order to the lead helicopter, when the guy died (Sickle Cell related issues) on the way up to Yonah (SFC Tibbit, spelled T-I-B-B-I-T, was telling him what a sorry SOB he was when he passed out), when the guy fell climbing and his belay man tried to catch him (faller was medically discharged later, belay man was booted). I was there when the SFC Wilkerson was training for Best Ranger in the Mountains. He built Darby Queen like obstacles by the field. I was there when some crazy Bat Boys in the Mountain Gulag borrowed vehicles from the motor pool and went drinking in Atlanta a couple of nights.

Your story is fishy because...Ledo Drop Zone is a circular DZ and has historically only been used (by RTB) to support LRSLC and cadre jumps.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
RRDTm3
Ranger

Post by RRDTm3 »

battleforcebulldog wrote:

I said I don't fish, you didn't say it got your dropped. you said it landed you at the CQ desk. I stopped checking SIG lines infinity ago.
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
Ranger Instructor 4th RTB
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

http://www.myspace.com/forcedentryrocks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I will never out rank stupid people"

Mentor to Myself
Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

Silverback wrote: Your story is fishy because...Ledo Drop Zone is a circular DZ and has historically only been used (by RTB) to support LRSLC and cadre jumps.
I was on that jump; I can’t remember if it was Ledo or Arkman. But then again I suck with names. I do remember the bird that put almost all the guys out in the trees. The JM heard execute execute or what ever and never looked out the bird, just started kicking jumpers out. If I remember right there was one Bat boy on the bird and he held on for dear life and didn’t go out because he was smart enough to know he was not over the drop zone. I don’t remember if the winds were bad or not, I know I didn’t get hurt so that was good.
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
battleforcebulldog
Ranger

Your story is fishy because...Ledo Drop Zone is a circular DZ and has historically only been used (by RTB) to support LRSLC and cadre jumps.

Well according to actual history, the Benning Phase jump of class 3-92 and 4-92 were helicopter jumps onto Ledo DZ. I'm sure you have the connections to verify this. So if it really bugs you, go verify it. Have a nice day.

PS I must have gone to Ranger School when it was hard, when they made the students jump on to Ledo. (Please note sarcasm)
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

battleforcebulldog wrote:Your story is fishy because...Ledo Drop Zone is a circular DZ and has historically only been used (by RTB) to support LRSLC and cadre jumps.

Well according to actual history, the Benning Phase jump of class 3-92 and 4-92 were helicopter jumps onto Ledo DZ. I'm sure you have the connections to verify this. So if it really bugs you, go verify it. Have a nice day.

PS I must have gone to Ranger School when it was hard, when they made the students jump on to Ledo. (Please note sarcasm)
Boy oh boy...I guess you told me.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

I split this out so as not to sully the Purdy thread
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
battleforcebulldog
Ranger

Hey Silverback,

Can you put my original back in the Purdy post? I really did enjoy my very short time with him, I did really did take to heart a few things he said and really did think the Army needed more Purdys.
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

battleforcebulldog wrote:Hey Silverback,

Can you put my original back in the Purdy post? I really did enjoy my very short time with him, I did really did take to heart a few things he said and really did think the Army needed more Purdys.
I cannot append a thread with a single post from a different thread. Cut and paste your original post to the Purdy thread.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

battleforcebulldog

Post by Steadfast »

Read the PM I sent you on 30may08. Complete the packet and return it to me ASAP.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Post by centermass »

**BUMP**
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

I got my money on Bubba. 8)
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Post by centermass »

Yup.

He was on here when I bumped this and 5 minutes later.....*poof*

he disappeared.
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.

Return to “75th Ranger Regiment Public Forum”