M4 advice (for a noob)

Rifles, Machineguns, Mortars, etc...
NupeRanger
Ranger

M4 advice (for a noob)

Post by NupeRanger »

Hello All:

Well, I am asking for help with my first civilian gun/rifle purchase. I had been away from the smell of black powder for about 2 years, but have the bug again. My goal is to get my M4 (from Batt) back (minus the $4k laser). I already know what ACOG I want, and how pricey the Knight's Armament RAS are.

My question is about the rifle itself. I have trusted my life to the Colt's, but can't seem to find them anywhere. I have decided on the LE6920. It seems to be the semi-auto version of what we carried (plus 1.5 inches on the barrel length). For some reason this gun is harder to find than a female virgin the in the Ranger barracks.

So I am looking for advice on where to find this weapon in particular, or if there is no need to pay (or overpay) $1500-$1600 just for the Colt name?

Right now I just want an M4, but can't seem to find it in stock anywhere.

Thanks,

RGR Evans
C Co 2/75 3-4 (2001-2003)
Tabless B!tc#
OEF 2x
RLTW!
Charlie 51
Ranger

Post by Charlie 51 »

Build it
C Co 2/75 Weapons
Classes 4-5/93

"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there" - Will Rogers
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

Charlie 51 wrote:Build it
x2. You will get exactly the weapon you want, you will have a better understanding of how it works, and you will have money left over for gun-bling.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
CWeber
Ranger

Post by CWeber »

Charlie 51 wrote:Build it
X3

Its stupid easy. You get what you want for less money. Its fun. You can say " I built this."
B. Co. 3/75 92-94
Wpns Plt.
RS 10/93

-Only dead fish follow the stream-
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

CWeber wrote:...Its stupid easy...
x2, again.

Start here-

http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=3&f=4

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
Black 6
Ranger

Post by Black 6 »

RangerX wrote:
CWeber wrote:...Its stupid easy...
x2, again.

Start here-

http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=3&f=4

x2... er3.... is it 4? Ah hell, what they said.
2/75 Blacksheep 92-93, 1/9 93-94
1759 society member

"You will know me by the scars I bear.
You will know me by the hate I swear."-OTEP

01010011 01110000 01100001 01110010 01110100 01100001 01101110 00101111 01001000 01100101 01110010 01101111 00101110
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

X eleventy six.

The AR platform is a no brainer. You can build one that will compare with any out there... and it's easy. Just use good parts, and you will be good to go.
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
NupeRanger
Ranger

Post by NupeRanger »

Wow, it looks like (for once) a group of Rangers are in agreement with how to accomplish a mission. However, right now is not a good time for me to undertake such an endeavor. I am looking for an off-the-shelf solution. I most likely will get into building as I amass my collection, but for now, I want something like we all carried back in the "good ol' days". However, I really don't know squat about quality of company X over company Y. The only thing I know is that we used and abused Colts and they seem to charge a nice premium for that reputation. Anyway, other than becoming an armorer, any other advice?

Thanks again,

RLTW
Tabless B!tc#
OEF 2x
RLTW!
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

NupeRanger wrote:Wow, it looks like (for once) a group of Rangers are in agreement with how to accomplish a mission. However, right now is not a good time for me to undertake such an endeavor. I am looking for an off-the-shelf solution. I most likely will get into building as I amass my collection, but for now, I want something like we all carried back in the "good ol' days". However, I really don't know squat about quality of company X over company Y. The only thing I know is that we used and abused Colts and they seem to charge a nice premium for that reputation. Anyway, other than becoming an armorer, any other advice?

Thanks again,

RLTW
Brother, I have four M4 type weapons now. Two are CQB type, two are SPR type. I have a Smith and Wesson M&P 15T that I absolutely LOVE. The only thing I have done to it is a trigger. Other than the trigger, It is all stock. This gun is similar to the STAG... but, it is a shooter.

For the money, you can have a Bushy, but the Smith is a top notch piece of kit.

I have a Rock River as well... and I think the Smith is as good as the RR.

Just my opinion.
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
abnhawk
Ranger

Post by abnhawk »

NupeRanger wrote: I want something like we all carried back in the "good ol' days".
:shock: Damn, 2001 was the good ol days? Hell, I'm feeling old now.
C 3/75 89 -91
RLTW!
NupeRanger
Ranger

Post by NupeRanger »

abnhawk wrote:
:shock: Damn, 2001 was the good ol days? Hell, I'm feeling old now.
:D

For me it was a lifetime ago. I wasn't even 21 yet, barely knew what to do with a nice young piece of @ss, and Osama's jihad hadn't yet given us the chance to make widows.

Not only that, but since then, I have finished college, lived in three different state, gotten a (BORING) corporate job, and most importantly mastered the art of laying pipe (WELL!).

So, it is more about the life experience over that 7 year timeframe, than the actual number of days that have passed. Not to mention, (it has taken me a few years to learn it, but) Rangers only get better with age (back and knees not withstanding)
Tabless B!tc#
OEF 2x
RLTW!
FireFinder
Paratrooper

Post by FireFinder »

+eleventy on build it yourself. There are so many manufacturers out there making quality stuff. MSTN claims the Noveske 12.5" barrel holds 1/2 MOA at 100 yards with Black Hills ammo, then you have Vltor and Larue making uppers, as well as damn near everyone else with a CNC milling operation.

I am currently waiting on a Noveske SPR barrel to rebarrel my 6.8 SPC to .223 since 6.8 costs $1 a round to buy new, and I can't find any brass.

Then get yourself a Dillon Precision press and crank out your own ammo for it.
13R2P B BTRY (TAB), 26th FA (ABN), 18th FA BDE (1984-1988)
11C (4.2" Mortar) CSC 2/124INF, FLARNG (1988-1989)
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

FYI, much better forends available too. The Knight's is overpriced and not freefloated.

Daniel's Defense makes a good one, to name one.
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

NupeRanger wrote:W.....However, right now is not a good time for me to undertake such an endeavor. .....
Once I compiled the parts, I had mine assembled and operational within 2 hours. It only took that long because I was being extra cautious not to leave any tool marks on my toy.

I have 2 AR rigs, a accuracy gun, and a "peashooter".

The long gun is a Bushy Varminter, with a 8-32x40 mil-dot, bipod on the front and monopod on the back. For that I reload, and can consistently shoot sub 3/4 MOA groups.

My Peashooter is DIY. The lower is Stag with RRA trigger group. The upper is RRA with RRA bolt/carrier, etc. Barrel is RRA mid-length gas system with Yankee Hill Machine mid-length rail for-end & Yankee Hill folding front sight. Rear sight is ARMS 40L, & stock is Ace skeleton.

I have yet to start adding bling, but on the short list is an eotech, for-end grip, and some form of laser/light.

Trust me, when you see the prices of ammo, you might change your mind just to save some cash to have something to go bag with. I generally buy surplus, as the brass is excellent for reloading.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space

Return to “Weapons of War”