The Black Beret

Experiences of those who wear/wore the scroll.
Bugsy
Ranger

The Black Beret

Post by Bugsy »

This is more of a question. Recently while viewing the proceedings of President Reagan being laid to rest I noticed several soldiers wearing the Black Beret as head gear and I thought, these guys aren't Rangers and yet they wear a beret that I had to earn.

It still bothers me whenever I see a RA soldier wearing a Black Beret (especially if he's fat and obviously a slug), I was wondering if any other Rangers get that same gut feeling when you see RA personnel wearing their "Standard Issue" Black Beret. Also how was it that the head of the Joint Chiefs of Staff was able to take it away from us, I have yet to get used to the new Tan Beret but then again I'm from a different era. I'm certain this has been discussed before but it still pisses me off whenever I think about it. Anybody have any thoughts on this subject?
1984 - 1985 5th Inf Div
1985 - 1986 75th Inf Ranger Regt
1986 - 1988 3/12 SFG (ABN)

The strength of the pack is the Wolf... and the strength of the Wolf is the pack... :twisted:
Ranger2

Post by Ranger2 »

It still pisses me off but then again the current Rangers look great wearing the Tan beret too. So as long as they are happy that is all I can worry about. Besides since most of the fighting now and in the near future will be in the sand it kind of fits.

Ranger2
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

DEAD HORSE!
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Bell

Post by Bell »

Yeah, it pisses. Then and now. Wrote letters, hollered. The president got quite a few. Nothing. That damn order still went through.

When it happened, a lot of RA didn't want to put the beret on. They knew who it belonged to.

Enlisted Rangers never said a word. They changed to the tan beret and kept on trucking.

RLTW
Bell
deleon275
Ranger

Post by deleon275 »

To quote the actual color of the tan beret by the RCO: "butternut".
"When you look at this final agreement that we came to with the White House, I got 98 percent of what I wanted. I’m pretty happy." John Boehner

''If we took away the minimum wage — if conceivably it was gone — we could potentially virtually wipe out unemployment completely because we would be able to offer jobs at whatever level.''
Parabellum
Ranger

Post by Parabellum »

It's only head gear. I know I am a bad muther fucker. Look at my rank.
"We spoke to them in the only language they understood - the machine gun."

HHC 1/75 Oct 98-Mar 99
B co 1/75 Mar 99-Apr 04
ROC RSTB RIP/PRC Cadre Apr 04-May 06
A co 1/75 May 06-Jul 08
HHC 1/75 Jul 08-Mar 09

RS 3-99
Ranger2

Post by Ranger2 »

Just think if they decided to take it away and make you wear a cunt cap again.

Ranger2
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

H8train1/75 wrote: I know I am a bad muther fucker. Look at my rank.
:roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Ranger2 wrote:Just think if they decided to take it away and make you wear a cunt cap again.

Ranger2
I know I was proud to wear my cunt cap with the glider patch. I am glad to say I neva wore a bus drivers hat. I must say I looked strak in my Kahki tans, my blue rope, my corcorans and my cunt cap & my pfc rocker arm rank, my lapel pins U.S. closest to my heart collar and crossed rifles on the other collar surrounded by blue & my silver wings!
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Mailman
Tadpole

Post by Mailman »

It's bad enough that we have to watch a RA fat fuckin leg walk around with "OUR" black beret on, but it's even worse when you see a RA fat bitch, with her "TANK ASS" walking around all fuckin ate up!!!!!! :evil:
C co 3/75, 3rd Plt
94-97

"I didn't want to hurt them, I only wanted to kill them." -David Berkowitz-
Parabellum
Ranger

Post by Parabellum »

DoorGunner wrote:
Steadfast wrote:
Ranger2 wrote:Just think if they decided to take it away and make you wear a cunt cap again.

Ranger2
I know I was proud to wear my cunt cap with the glider patch. I am glad to say I neva wore a bus drivers hat. I must say I looked strak in my Kahki tans, my blue rope, my corcorans and my cunt cap & my pfc rocker arm rank, my lapel pins U.S. closest to my heart collar and crossed rifles on the other collar surrounded by blue & my silver wings!
I gotta say, I liked that cunt cap. Liked the Kahkis too.
The Army should have kept the Kahkis. Regiment should have kept the OG-107's. For duty uniform at least.

HHC 1/75 Oct 98-Mar 99
B co 1/75 Mar 99-Apr 04
A co 1/75 May 06-Jul 08
HHC 1/75 Jul 08-Mar 09

RS 3-99
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Brother I am here to tell you that OG's were great until it got cold. The zipper had a tendency to "flash freeze" onto unprotected parts. I saw this happen to many an unsuspecting Ranger.

The cool thing about jungles and a Black beret is, I can remeber times when a SGT or better would ask me questions about being a Ranger while standing at Parade Rest.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Parabellum
Ranger

Post by Parabellum »

Silverback wrote:Brother I am here to tell you that OG's were great until it got cold. The zipper had a tendency to "flash freeze" onto unprotected parts. I saw this happen to many an unsuspecting Ranger.

The cool thing about jungles and a Black beret is, I can remeber times when a SGT or better would ask me questions about being a Ranger while standing at Parade Rest.
That is awsome! :wink:

HHC 1/75 Oct 98-Mar 99
B co 1/75 Mar 99-Apr 04
A co 1/75 May 06-Jul 08
HHC 1/75 Jul 08-Mar 09

RS 3-99
rgrjoe175
Tadpole

Post by rgrjoe175 »

khakis with spit shined jump boots and Black beret looked awesome.. I agree they never should of done away with the khakis... I also remember when we switched to 107s from cammies.. when the bdus came out.. Many a time at night I would here every cuss word in the book until we got used to the damn zipper...lmmfao

JP
1/75 80-83
Class 6-81

Return to “75th Ranger Regiment Public Forum”