IOTV

Racks, Helmets, Cold Weather Gear
CavScout152A
Embryo

IOTV

Post by CavScout152A »

What is your opinon on the new IOTV? I personally don't like it and would rather have my old IBA back.
The IOTV is more than 3 pounds lighter than its predecessor, but provides an equal level of protection over an increased area by eliminating overlap and changing design features like the vest’s cut in the arm pit area, adding an integrated throat protector instead of an attachable version, and adding integrated side plate carriers. That, plus an overhead instead of a front-opening design, decrease the vest’s profile Overall but extends its coverage by 52 square inches.

Other IOTV features include a single-stage quick release added to the front of the vest that removes the vest in 2 pieces. This is very useful to medics, who can also use an opening on the left shoulder if maintaining protection is important. It’s even more useful to soldiers trapped in overturned or submerged vehicles, which has been a consistent issue in Iraq. An internal waistband moves more of the weight from the shoulders to the waist, long variants are now issued (surely a relief to the beanpole types), more MOLLE attachments for pouches et. al. in front now that the opening isn’t up front, vertically adjustable pouches for the ceramic plates within the vest, vertically adjustable side plate carriers, mesh lining, and channels/storage for those ubiquitous cables.

Image[/code]
1-152 CAV (RSTA)
Operation Iraqi Freedom 2008
Currently Stationed at Ft. Bragg attached to the Wounded Warrior Program
* Scouts Out ! *
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

I have never worn the new vest. I thought it was interesting though, because it seems as though it is a remodeled RBA. It is very similiar to the RBA in a lot of ways but mostly the way it's put on (over head) and the abdominal fastening system. I wonder how long it took to move back the design 15 years.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

groin protector looks small :twisted:

Its not that they went back 15 years it’s just that the RBA was so advanced :lol:
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
infantryguy82
USMC Vet / US Army

IOTV

Post by infantryguy82 »

I have to say that at first i wasn't too thrilled with getting another piece of gear, but I have to admit that after putting it through a test run of patrols in an urban area, with jumping walls and all the other fun urban olympic events I found it to hold up good and still feel comfortable after a long days work.
CavMedic
Embryo

Post by CavMedic »

I've beaten the shit out of mine and the only complaints that I've heard from my guys are that the cable in the back will work itself loose causing the side panels to fall off.

Asides from that, no big issues with it.

Now. if we could only get rid of that damn flick we have to wear over it, I'd be a happy medic!

-Doc
8/89-1/91-11M,B co. 3/15 Inf,24th I.D.
1/91 To 7/07-Break In Service
7/07 To Present-Line Medic, A Trp. 1/61 Cav.
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

I see Joe thinking it would be funny as shit to pull the quick release on their buddies IOTV. HA FUCKIN HA, it's gotta take time to put the shit back together and what happens when the plates hit on their sides? Other than that I'm glad they went back to the clamshell design. I paid for one of Logan's IBA converters and love it.

Tough
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

I like mine. It rides better on your shoulders and more on your hips. I have more range of motion in the arms and can get in a fireing possition theat is more stable and quicker. I still dont hang my gear off of it though and wear a vest for those late night rocket attacks when I dont need my ammo and other shit weighing me down. You do need to check the cables every once in awhile to make sure that they arnt working loose.
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
CavMedic
Embryo

Post by CavMedic »

A lot of my guys will tape off or bend the cables so they don't work loose and the panels will stay put, but the quick release won't work either, so I carry a pair of cutters for just such an occasion.

As far as some joker pulling the quick release as a joke...I've only seen it happen once.

I don't think the poor bastard was ever the same after that. :twisted:
8/89-1/91-11M,B co. 3/15 Inf,24th I.D.
1/91 To 7/07-Break In Service
7/07 To Present-Line Medic, A Trp. 1/61 Cav.
The Holmchicken
Ranger

Post by The Holmchicken »

Get rid of all the deltoid and groin bullshit and it may actually be worth a shit.
2/75 97-00

It's not that I'm lazy........it's that I don't care

75th RRA
EvilCouch
Ranger

Post by EvilCouch »

The Holmchicken wrote:Get rid of all the deltoid and groin bullshit and it may actually be worth a shit.
I don't know, I don't think they're worthless. First casualty my brigade had in Iraq probably would have lived if he had a deltoid protector. The ricochet he took in the arm pit had just enough juice to get to his heart. A deltoid protector probably would have turned it into a flesh wound.
Clueless Joe(Sand hill): May 98 - May 99
Tabless Bitch (Bco 3/75): May 99 - May 01
REMF (11th Regt): May 01 - Feb 04
Leg Team/Squad leader (HHC 1-503, 2ID, OIF): Feb 04 - Dec 05
World's worst webcomic
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Post by rgrokelley »

The stuff you young guys get is a lot better than what I was issued when I was a private:

A & C Company, 3rd Ranger Battalion 1984-1986
2/325, 82nd Airborne 1979-1984
F Company, 51st LRSU 1986-1988
5th Special Forces Group 1989-1995
3rd Special Forces Group 1997-1999
RS - DHG 5-85
The Holmchicken
Ranger

Post by The Holmchicken »

EvilCouch wrote:
The Holmchicken wrote:Get rid of all the deltoid and groin bullshit and it may actually be worth a shit.
I don't know, I don't think they're worthless. First casualty my brigade had in Iraq probably would have lived if he had a deltoid protector. The ricochet he took in the arm pit had just enough juice to get to his heart. A deltoid protector probably would have turned it into a flesh wound.
That sucks, but I still think it's too much crap. Cuts down on mobility. Either way, the stuff that usasoc is wearing now doesn't come with deltoid protection. But I can see both sides of the argument.
2/75 97-00

It's not that I'm lazy........it's that I don't care

75th RRA

Return to “Personal Gear”