Panhandler busted!

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Panhandler busted!

Post by rgrokelley »

This is pretty interesting. Ever wonder how much those folks with the "will work for food signs" are pulling in? Check out this new story that follows around one "homeless" girl with a surveillance camera.

http://www.breitbart.tv/html/84523.html
A & C Company, 3rd Ranger Battalion 1984-1986
2/325, 82nd Airborne 1979-1984
F Company, 51st LRSU 1986-1988
5th Special Forces Group 1989-1995
3rd Special Forces Group 1997-1999
RS - DHG 5-85
BruteForce
US Army Veteran

Post by BruteForce »

This story aired from my local TV station in Salt Lake City.

It doesn't surprise me one bit. From my old office, we used to watch an older lady pull up in a new cadillac, pan-handle for a few hours, then head off. We estimated she was taking in over $100+/day, since she was in a nice part of town.

:roll:
US Army 1986 - 1994
InfoSec/InfraGard/NetGuard (1994 - Present)
Random world and Adventures of BruteForce
swagger
Ranger

Post by swagger »

They caught a NYC employee panhandling 5 or 10 years ago. She made more from panhandling than she did from her salary.
1st BN: Bco 98-02, HHC 02-04
RS 5-99

If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan it properly.
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

A Phoenix news crew with hidden cameras went around the city to see if the homeless people would actually accept work as their cardboard signs claimed. They offered $20 to each homeless person in exchange for one hour of landscaping work.

The result is not surprising.

Homeless people would rather stand at street corners to wait for hand-outs than do actual work.

To all the people who say "if the news crew would offer more money, maybe the homeless person would leave his corner".

$20 for one hour of landscaping work is a lot of money.

Plus, don’t forget “beggars can’t be choosersâ€
litlbird
Ranger Mom

Post by litlbird »

I exited for gas off the highway going thru downtown Austin, Texas one day. Getting back on the service road I had to wait on a red light. While waiting I read this guys sign which said..."Hell, I ain't gonna lie. I need a beer. God Bless."

Made me smile.
Save A Cowboy...Ride A Harley

Sometimes I feel like a bitch and sometimes I don't.
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

There are a LOT of panhandlers... no wait, scratch that.. BUMS, they are just BUMS.. living in New Haven. Connecticut has a some pretty generous social welfare programs and you can survive pretty well on no income. They like this city in particular because Yalies are ripe pickins. (The new freshman anyway..) You can always tell the new students because they will be sitting listening to the sob stories of the same bums who have been doing this for years. I guess they feel guilty going to an Ivy League school costing over a hundred grand. The Listerine drinkers know the even if they pass out people will walk by and lay money next to them.

Now I'm all for social welfare; God knows there was a time-and it was a very short time-when I had to take food stamps after being laid off and having no income ... but it was a temporary thing and knew I could make more money if I got out there and hustled. I had to get a series of crappy jobs making shit wages to work my way back. It was a matter of pride for me. I loathed having to do it, but I would have starved without. I'll tell you what, you'd be surprised how you can stretch a buck if you have to. If you don't mind a shitty job, there is always work.

Jerry Seinfeld summed it up perfectly; the reason there are homeless is because there are people that say, "Ya know, I might be living on the street, but I am not cleaning THAT up!.."

My favorite are the guys with signs that says "Family killed by ninjas. Need money for Kung-Fu lessons.."
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
Darksaga
Soldier

Post by Darksaga »

I remember a story a few years back of a lady in NY getting busted for tax evasion because she was pulling in 60K panhandling and living in an upscale part of town.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -Henery Louis Mencken (1880-1956)

"I might not be Airborne however, it's whats on my right sleave!"
*1992-1996 USMC CPL
* 12/2005- present USAR Medic PL/ Human Terrain Teams
Bulldawgs07
Ranger

Post by Bulldawgs07 »

The Sleepy Doc wrote:There are a LOT of panhandlers... no wait, scratch that.. BUMS, they are just BUMS.. living in New Haven. Connecticut has a some pretty generous social welfare programs and you can survive pretty well on no income. They like this city in particular because Yalies are ripe pickins. (The new freshman anyway..) You can always tell the new students because they will be sitting listening to the sob stories of the same bums who have been doing this for years. I guess they feel guilty going to an Ivy League school costing over a hundred grand. The Listerine drinkers know the even if they pass out people will walk by and lay money next to them.

Now I'm all for social welfare; God knows there was a time-and it was a very short time-when I had to take food stamps after being laid off and having no income ... but it was a temporary thing and knew I could make more money if I got out there and hustled. I had to get a series of crappy jobs making shit wages to work my way back. It was a matter of pride for me. I loathed having to do it, but I would have starved without. I'll tell you what, you'd be surprised how you can stretch a buck if you have to. If you don't mind a shitty job, there is always work.

Jerry Seinfeld summed it up perfectly; the reason there are homeless is because there are people that say, "Ya know, I might be living on the street, but I am not cleaning THAT up!.."

My favorite are the guys with signs that says "Family killed by ninjas. Need money for Kung-Fu lessons.."
God, the bums in New Haven were intolerable. I remember reading an article where like three of the most well known ones openly admitted they lived in decent apartments. And yes, it's bad enough that there are "well known" panhandlers. One of them, the so-called "Flower Lady" even got a damn vendor's permit purchased for her by some do-gooder to sell these crappy little flowers. Believe it or not, most of them have self-appointed nicknames too, and they get pretty offended if you don't know who they are. :roll:
johnjohnson1957
Ranger

Post by johnjohnson1957 »

A guy is panhandling the exit drive from the local Walmart. Looked like most other panhandlers I've seen except for the Blue Tooth (hands-free wireless) cell phone he was wearing on his ear. Hell, I don't even have one of them.

Last year two “homelessâ€
Army AD medic: FAMC, 2/5 FA, 97 Gen Hosp, AFRC Berchtesgaden, 28 CSH; 1975-1980
Army Guard/Reserve: 1/410 Inf, 209 Med Clr Co, 12th SF: 1982-1988
USAF AD: 1988-2003; Retired
RS 10-81
coldsteal2
Veteran: US Army/US Navy

Post by coldsteal2 »

If these people were serious, there are alot, i mean alot of places to go
for help, Jesus food centers, Homeless shelters, Salvation Army,
VA Centers, Red Cross, no reason to panhandle.

People in cities especialy like San Fransisco, San Diego beach
areas can make a killing panhandling and begging.
SGT USArmy Retired/Disabled
B 1/44 ADA 9th ID Ft Lewis 88-91 16R10 Vulcan Gunner
31M 63rd ARCOM 88 Oceanside CA
also
RM2 USN 1983-1988
NAVCOMMSTA SD 84-86
32nd ST NAVSTA 86-87
USS Merrill DD 976 86-87
NAS PENSACOLA Naval Aircrewman 87-88
RetPara
Ranger

Post by RetPara »

We have one asshole around Ann Arbor that always has an unemployed Vet sign. People from the homeless program have tried to get him to come into the program. Won't come it. I can't stand em.
RS2 84-86

Intelligence in a person can be measured.... Stupidity is a bottomless pit which is beyond measure....

Return to “The Mosh Pit”