US Muslim group declines to meet pope

News posted by members of this site. If you want to publish your own article or have something of value for the front page please indicate it as such.
Before posting make sure it hasn't already been posted. Write a concise and pertinent intro if you are going to post here.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
Check for duplicates before posting, otherwise post it in the original thread. If you want to post an article of your own or find it significant for the front page please let us know. Rangers Lead the Way
Silverback
Ranger

US Muslim group declines to meet pope

Post by Silverback »

NEW YORK - Unease with Pope Benedict XVI's approach to Islam has led a U.S. Muslim group to decline joining in an interfaith event with him later this week.

Several other U.S. Muslim leaders expressed similar concerns about the pope, but pledged to participate in the Washington gathering, saying the two faiths should do everything possible to improve relations.

"Our going there is more out of respect for the Catholic Church itself," said Muzammil H. Siddiqi, chairman of the Fiqh Council of North America, which interprets Islamic law. "Popes come and go, but the church is there."

Siddiqi, co-chairman of the West Coast Muslim-Catholic Dialogue, is among the Muslim, Jewish, Buddhist, Jain and Hindu leaders scheduled to meet Benedict on Thursday at the Pope John Paul II Cultural Center. Muslims and Roman Catholics each have more than 1 billion followers worldwide. U.S. Catholic and Muslim leaders started holding interfaith talks in the early 1990s, and many of the Muslim leaders invited to the event Thursday are veterans of those discussions.

Full Story
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

Not surprising in the least, especially since FOX news reported yesterday that
"A sermon last Friday by a prominent Muslim cleric and Hamas member of the Palestinian parliament openly declared that Rome, "the capital of the Catholics, or the Crusader capital," would soon be conquered by Islam.

The fiery sermon, delivered by Yunis al-Astal and aired on Hamas' Al-Aqsa TV, predicted that Rome would become "an advanced post for the Islamic conquests, which will spread though Europe in its entirety, and then will turn to the two Americas, even Eastern Europe.
"
Silverback
Ranger

Re: US Muslim group declines to meet pope

Post by Silverback »

Silverback wrote: Siddiqi, co-chairman of the West Coast Muslim-Catholic Dialogue, is among the Muslim, Jewish, Buddhist, Jain and Hindu leaders scheduled to meet Benedict on Thursday at the Pope John Paul II Cultural Center. Muslims and Roman Catholics each have more than 1 billion followers worldwide. U.S. Catholic and Muslim leaders started holding interfaith talks in the early 1990s, and many of the Muslim leaders invited to the event Thursday are veterans of those discussions.
I could be mistaken, but Siddiqi means "friend" in arabic
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
The Holmchicken
Ranger

Post by The Holmchicken »

Seeing as Muslims refer to most Westerners as "crusaders" should give you an idea on the forward thinking found in the Muslim Middle East.
2/75 97-00

It's not that I'm lazy........it's that I don't care

75th RRA
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

gotta love those guys
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
RRDTm3
Ranger

Post by RRDTm3 »

rgrpuck wrote:gotta love those guys
no
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
Ranger Instructor 4th RTB
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

"I will never out rank stupid people"

Mentor to Myself
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Anouar wrote:
Silverback wrote:I could be mistaken, but Siddiqi means "friend" in arabic
Sadiqi means "My Friend". Siddiqi more closely means "Trustworthy" or Sincere
That's the classic Arabic translation. The term is also slang used to dexcribe home-made alcohol for human consumption -- as we would use "moonshine."
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

Jim wrote:
Anouar wrote:
Silverback wrote:I could be mistaken, but Siddiqi means "friend" in arabic
Sadiqi means "My Friend". Siddiqi more closely means "Trustworthy" or Sincere
That's the classic Arabic translation. The term is also slang used to dexcribe home-made alcohol for human consumption -- as we would use "moonshine."
I've always thought my friend from Tennessee who makes moonshine was trustworthy and sincere :lol:
The Holmchicken
Ranger

Post by The Holmchicken »

Tenn-RGR wrote:
RTO wrote:
Jim wrote: That's the classic Arabic translation. The term is also slang used to dexcribe home-made alcohol for human consumption -- as we would use "moonshine."
I've always thought my friend from Tennessee who makes moonshine was trustworthy and sincere :lol:
DAMMIT!! SHHHH!!!

Busted dude!
2/75 97-00

It's not that I'm lazy........it's that I don't care

75th RRA
Darksaga
Soldier

Post by Darksaga »

monsterhunter wrote:
Silverback wrote: Siddiqi, co-chairman of the West Coast Muslim-Catholic Dialogue, is among the Muslim, Jewish, Buddhist, Jain and Hindu leaders scheduled to meet Benedict . . .

IMHO, none of these folks have much in common and should probably stay the hell away from each other. I'm tired of these bogus love fests, especially if a Muslim is going to be there.
Depends. Look at the man first.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -Henery Louis Mencken (1880-1956)

"I might not be Airborne however, it's whats on my right sleave!"
*1992-1996 USMC CPL
* 12/2005- present USAR Medic PL/ Human Terrain Teams

Return to “The News Dump”