Collapsible Batons

Racks, Helmets, Cold Weather Gear
Grunt
Ranger

Collapsible Batons

Post by Grunt »

Anyone out there have any experience with collapsible batons? Any suggestions? I'm looking for something that's relatively small (i.e. 6-7" collapsed). I'm told that the Asp product is pretty good, but wondering if I can get something almost as good without the Asp price. At the moment I'm leaning toward something like this:

http://www.selfdefence.com/police/batons/expandable.php

Grunt
A co 1-502 10/84 - 12/85
CSCo 4-327 01/85 - 08/87
C co 1-17 09/87 - 02/88
RS Class 02-87
Rangerguru
Ranger

Post by Rangerguru »

Monadnock mechanical locking batons are definately the best baton that I have experience with. They come in different lengths and in order to close them, you simply push a button on the end and pop the business end with the heal of your hand, unlike the friction locking batons where you usually have to beat them on the floor to close them, which in turn causes burs which leads to deep cuts on the bad guy which can get you in trouble as to apposed to just beating him in the green zones.
Another advantage of the mechanical locking baton is you have the ability to perform jab type strikes, where as with a friction locking baton, you run the risk of it closing if you do jab someone with it.
Opening the mechanical locking baton is mush easier as well, a simple flick of the wrist towards the ground will lock the baton, and if you have to move throough a crowd without drawing attention to the fact that you have a baton, you can reach around you back and grab the power safety tip with one hand while holding the handle with the other and pull, it will open and lock out, unlike with a friction locking baton.
The Monadnock baton comes with a lifetime warranty and I've found that they definately stand by their product. I believe that ASP also makes a mechanical locking baton, but I don't have any experience with it, I would imagine that the internal locking device is probably about the same as the Monadnock.
As far as maintence, they disassemble very easily and a quick wipe down and a couple drops of CLP once a month is sufficient.
This is just my $.02 and no, I don't get a kickback from Monadnock or ASP.
Ranger Class 3/96
25th ID 93-96
10th Motown 96-99
C Co. 4th RTB 99-04
Gubment Contractor OCONUS 07-present

Gun Safety Tip #6. When unholstering your weapon it's customary to say "Excuse me while I whip this out "
Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

They are really cool if you want to piss someone off when you hit them. I think its the most worthless piece of gear we carry. When I first got here we had side handle batons, you could smack the shit out of someone with that.
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

If you're not a LEO then I think batons are the heat. See I'm not a cop so I give two fucks about green zones. I carry two 24"ers and if you are remotely familiar with the basics of escrima you can fuck a person up quicker than with a Tonfa (side handle baton).

Course my Colt doesn't bruise my hands up like going H2H.

Tough
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Horned Toad wrote:They are really cool if you want to piss someone off when you hit them. I think its the most worthless piece of gear we carry. When I first got here we had side handle batons, you could smack the shit out of someone with that.
Agreed. They suck balls and are pretty much only good for poking thru trash cans looking for discarded evidence/weapons or poking drunks to wake them up.

If you're not a cop, are you allowed to carry them in your state? At least in my state it's a felony to carry unlawfully. I could care less, just asking so you don't get hemmed up by the locals.

I broke all the bones in my wrist one time using the ASP, it's far too light and does not absorb any of the shock of the strike.

After several strikes on a doped up 6'3 jamacian I said fuck it and whapped him across the head with it, he finally went down, then I slid it under his neck and started doing curls with his head, in between punching him in the side of his face until I was sure he wasn't getting up again.

I'm not a dick or out of control, just that these two lizards jumped my partner, drug him around the corner and were putting the boots to him and trying to steal his gun. They would've killed him had he been alone that night.

Spent 5 months in a cast from finger tips to elbow because of that fucking ASP.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Zonk 1/75 wrote:Hear you Cams.................

My wrists get all fucked up hitting things with the ASP.

Good choking device though! 8)
Absolutely a good choking device, or like you said, (someone said it) prying some assholes arms out from under him.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92

cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Tater Nuts wrote:Always carry a Chicago Ill. phone book also, you can hold it against their head and knock the living crap out of them without leaving any marks.
:lol: :lol: :lol: No you can't. :twisted:

I've always been a fan of the SAP, carried one for yrs, still do sometimes.

Now that was one great little headknocker. 8)
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92

RGR_Dan
Ranger

Post by RGR_Dan »

They are all pieces of shit. "Fluid shock wave" my ass. I can't even tell ya how many times I have heard of the perp grabbing the baton.

The only thing its good for is giving the bad guy a weapon, then shooting him.

Not to mention, if you sweat at all that bitch is gonna go flying.
95-98 Aco. 3/75 2nd plt Weapons Sqd
98-01Hco 121st LRS
Former LEO
Former Contractor
LEO (round 2)
Grunt
Ranger

Post by Grunt »

Folks, thanks for the input!!

Grunt
A co 1-502 10/84 - 12/85
CSCo 4-327 01/85 - 08/87
C co 1-17 09/87 - 02/88
RS Class 02-87
COWBOY6
US Army Veteran

Post by COWBOY6 »

Being a former leo and a 95B I have a lot experience with Asp batons and very familiar monodocks systems. Asp by far are the best, I mean really there are so many other uses of the asp. You can also get an attachable mirror, flashlight that goes in the non expandable end.

As for shock… wtf if nothing else put some type of grip tape with pad around it or something to that nature.

In law enforcement or in the military you have to have options i.e. H2H, baton, taser, and gun. Out of all 4 of those a baton can be used as a tool as well as a weapon.

In CQC environments like swat teams I would go know larger then 18 inches and urban and woodland environments I would stay larger then 18.

This is my .02 worth

Return to “Personal Gear”