Lateral Meniscus Tear-knee brace?

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
NJINLEG
Egg

Lateral Meniscus Tear-knee brace?

Post by NJINLEG »

This is what I get for playing the young man Infantry game at 35..I have been diagnosed with a lateral meniscus tear by my ortho (via MRI). His most basic advice is rest the leg for 4-6 weeks (no go during IBOLC), or brace it as much as possible and don't participate in any extra-curricular running/roadmarches (i.e. do what is expected and nothing more).

Does anyone have experience with any type of stability brace that can be used and still be able to do the field work (battle drills, etc) without it causing problems? Recommendations?

Update: Seems they found the real problem, an ACL tear, full thickness cartilage defect, and a cyst in the knee. Gotta rethink this one just a little now.
1LT, IN
ChipOnShoulder

Post by ChipOnShoulder »

If you are going to the show have the Plt. Doc wrap it. If it just garrison Bullshit then do what the doctor says.
EvilCouch
Ranger

Re: Lateral Meniscus Tear-knee brace?

Post by EvilCouch »

NJINLEG wrote:This is what I get for playing the young man Infantry game at 35..I have been diagnosed with a lateral meniscus tear by my ortho (via MRI). His most basic advice is rest the leg for 4-6 weeks (no go during IBOLC), or brace it as much as possible and don't participate in any extra-curricular running/roadmarches (i.e. do what is expected and nothing more).

Does anyone have experience with any type of stability brace that can be used and still be able to do the field work (battle drills, etc) without it causing problems? Recommendations?

Update: Seems they found the real problem, an ACL tear, full thickness cartilage defect, and a cyst in the knee. Gotta rethink this one just a little now.
Being former 2/11 cadre, I can tell you that there's no shame in being an LTO longer than you expected to be. There's a fine line between being a pussy and taking care of your body. I'd say that staying on profile, doing all the PT you can without injuring yourself more and studying the hell out of basic infantry tasks is in the second category.

A quick check on ATRRS confirms that they're still starting a new class just about every month, so it's not like you're going to be waiting around for a long time for a new class. Having to spend an extra month or so in Fort Benning might suck if you've got family, but it shouldn't be a big deal.
Clueless Joe(Sand hill): May 98 - May 99
Tabless Bitch (Bco 3/75): May 99 - May 01
REMF (11th Regt): May 01 - Feb 04
Leg Team/Squad leader (HHC 1-503, 2ID, OIF): Feb 04 - Dec 05
World's worst webcomic

Return to “Medical Issues”