Shooting at NIU

News posted by members of this site. If you want to publish your own article or have something of value for the front page please indicate it as such.
Before posting make sure it hasn't already been posted. Write a concise and pertinent intro if you are going to post here.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
Check for duplicates before posting, otherwise post it in the original thread. If you want to post an article of your own or find it significant for the front page please let us know. Rangers Lead the Way
KeyserS175

Shooting at NIU

Post by KeyserS175 »

Fox News: A former student dressed in black opened fire with a shotgun and two handguns from the stage of a Northern Illinois University lecture hall Thursday, killing five students and wounding more than a dozen others before taking his own life.

University President John Peters said there were a total of 22 casualties in what he described as a "rapid fire" attack that sent terrified students running for cover.

The gunman shot himself on the stage after a rampage that lasted no more than a few minutes.

FOX

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is where I went to college. Prayers out to the victims and their families.

RIP
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

This is beginning to feel like an every-day occurance. What in the fuck is wrong with people, nowadays?
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

This is job security for me...

Our Active Shooter program is really taking off!!!

On a serious note... I concur. What's wrong with people these days???

Fucking nutjobs out there...
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Black 6
Ranger

Post by Black 6 »

Tater Nuts wrote:Maybe if we had a few more "gun free" zones it would stop. :roll:
One thing that all of the victims had in common.... they were all unarmed.
2/75 Blacksheep 92-93, 1/9 93-94
1759 society member

"You will know me by the scars I bear.
You will know me by the hate I swear."-OTEP

01010011 01110000 01100001 01110010 01110100 01100001 01101110 00101111 01001000 01100101 01110010 01101111 00101110
JohnDowland
Ranger

Post by JohnDowland »

Black 6 wrote:
Tater Nuts wrote:Maybe if we had a few more "gun free" zones it would stop. :roll:
One thing that all of the victims had in common.... they were all unarmed.
You should glance at the comments on CNN regarding this; pages and pages of gun control (elimination) comments by some pretty naive people. I submitted my own two cents, but since CNN has to "review comments before posting, and do the the volume of comments not all will be posted" it is my opinion that they are tossing out any positive posts regarding fire arm possession, and allowing the NRA haters to run amok for the day.
3/75 '93-'95
Operation Uphold Democracy '94
OIF '10
OEF '10/'11
USASOC Chaplain

"Let not him who girds on his armor boast as he who takes it off!" - Ahab, king of Israel
SITH
Embryo

Post by SITH »

Columbine, VT and now NIU. The one common fact is each of the perps offed themselves before the calvary arrived.

I wonder if these "gunmen" would have sought to kill in all of these scenarios if they knew the admin and/or the students were armed?

I also wonder if the last thought that the victims had was "Oh shit, I wish I had a gun."

It's sad, scary and unfair.
11B M60 gunner 1/36th Infantry Friedberg, West Germany 85-88
Oto-Man
Ranger

Post by Oto-Man »

All I know, is that if I were attending classes on a college campus (but I'm 2 kewl for school :wink: ), I'd just have to have one of dem dar super duper hook and loop tape trap door concealled carrry fanny packs with an H&K .40 small frame tucked inside...after all, the whole "concealled" thing is about no one knowing you are packing...Right?

If it evern came down to trading rounds with a bad guy...go ahead...find 12 people in THAT community to prosecute the guy that stopped him, for carrying on campus...
B Co 2/75 (WEBCO)
1988-1990
RS Class 1-90
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

Oto-Man wrote:All I know, is that if I were attending classes on a college campus (but I'm 2 kewl for school :wink: ), I'd just have to have one of dem dar super duper hook and loop tape trap door concealled carrry fanny packs with an H&K .40 small frame tucked inside...after all, the whole "concealled" thing is about no one knowing you are packing...Right?

If it evern came down to trading rounds with a bad guy...go ahead...find 12 people in THAT community to prosecute the guy that stopped him, for carrying on campus...
I will not confirm, nor deny that I carried my G19 every day on campus.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto
smokn38
Paratrooper

Post by smokn38 »

TC204 wrote: With tuition costs being at the level they're at surely they can afford something that resembles adequate security and protection.

My condolences to the families.
Being an LEO, that works an area that encompasses a similar school, within the same geographical area, what does adequate security and protection look like. Everyday I come to work I am expected to do more with less. Fact of the matter is if someone wants to do this, in our free and open society it is rather easy to accomplish. I agree an armed society is a polite society, but what would you like LE's response to be to "prevent" such activities.
HHC 1/508th Panama 1989-1990
HHC and A Co 1/505th 1990-1992
Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

smokn38 wrote:
TC204 wrote: With tuition costs being at the level they're at surely they can afford something that resembles adequate security and protection.

Being an LEO, that works an area that encompasses a similar school, within the same geographical area, what does adequate security and protection look like. Everyday I come to work I am expected to do more with less. Fact of the matter is if someone wants to do this, in our free and open society it is rather easy to accomplish. I agree an armed society is a polite society, but what would you like LE's response to be to "prevent" such activities.
I don’t think he was saying that it was the local LEOs responsibility to prevent it. He is say that for what a college charges to attend their school that THEY could have better security
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
smokn38
Paratrooper

Post by smokn38 »

Horned Toad wrote:
smokn38 wrote:

I don’t think he was saying that it was the local LEOs responsibility to prevent it. He is say that for what a college charges to attend their school that THEY could have better security
Right but Universities have PD's, and I was just curious how this could even be accomplished.
HHC 1/508th Panama 1989-1990
HHC and A Co 1/505th 1990-1992

Return to “The News Dump”