What Do You Plan To Do With Your $600-1,200 Tax Rebate?

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

RTO
BANNED

What Do You Plan To Do With Your $600-1,200 Tax Rebate?

Post by RTO »

WASHINGTON - Congressional leaders completed a deal Thursday with the White House on an economic stimulus package that would give most tax filers refunds of $600 to $1,200, and more if they have children.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Republican Leader John Boehner scheduled a news conference for 1:30 p.m. EST to announce the $150 billion package, hammered out in a week of intense negotiations with Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson.

Congressional aides, speaking on condition of anonymity because the deal had not yet been announced, said they hope the checks could go out as early as June.

Individuals who pay income taxes would get up to $600, working couples $1,200 and those couples with children an additional $300 per child under the deal. Workers who make at least $3,000 but don't pay taxes would get $300 rebates.

The rebate part of the plan would cost about $100 billion, aides said. The package also includes close to $50 billion in business tax cuts.

Full Story Here....
Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Post by Ranger Ron »

Hire an attorney for my audit! :lol: :lol:
SUA SPONTE - "We few, we happy few, we BAND OF BROTHERS;
for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother!"
- Shakespeare

RLTW! - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave

RS 3-70
SSG VN 69-70
I Co., 75th. Inf.
4/9 Inf., 25th ID

Mentored Ranger kozzman555
http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 183
http://www.ranger.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 3537
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

Who's economy is this going to stimulate ? China's ?
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Don't count your rebate until the check clears.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Invictus
Ranger

Post by Invictus »

The reason I pay my taxes is to help eliminate our Nation's debt, not to increase it....WTF?
Lefty
Rest In Peace | Ranger Advisor BDQ

Post by Lefty »

Turn it over to the HH6
RLTW
Lefty
SFOC 1969
6th SFG(A) 69-70
Ranger Class 13-70
MACV Tm 21 70-71 (2nd ARVN Ranger Gp 23d
BN)
2/13 Armor 1st Cav 71-72

"Experience teaches a dear school, but fools will learn in no other, and some scarce in that"
GoldCoast
Ranger/Matchmaker

Post by GoldCoast »

Roll it into an IRA.
HHC 2/75 (1998- 2000)

Duty a mountain; Death a feather.

One of these days I'll start off slow...
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

This is not part of the regular yearly tax refunds. This is additional and part of an 'economic stimulus package'.

I'm thinking I should be a good citizen and do my part to help stimulate the economy.
My idea was to target the beer and liquor sectors for improvement! 8) :lol:
Last edited by RTO on January 24th, 2008, 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

Finally get the Lewis Machine and Tool Monolithic Upper I have been postponing... 8)
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Jenny Lynn
Tadpole

Post by Jenny Lynn »

My 2 cents....
I encourage all to read the fine print, something like this was given out in the past.

My concern is.... is this a really a "rebate" as taxpayers are being told or is it where the government send these checks out but the recipients need to claim this amount received as a form of income on their subsequent tax return, thus making it not truly a "rebate" at all?
Jenny
"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them.” Galileo Galilei

"If our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies, any and every method of protecting ourselves is morally right” Marcus Tullius Cicero

"By special Pastoral appointment."
RRDTm3
Ranger

Post by RRDTm3 »

I plan on mailing out written TAB CHECKS to everybody!
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
Ranger Instructor 4th RTB
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

"I will never out rank stupid people"

Mentor to Myself
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

RRDTm3 wrote:I plan on mailing out written TAB CHECKS to everybody!
Thanks for the heads up. I'll be sure not to open when I see anything suspicious in the mail and mark 'Return to Sender, Address Unknown' on it! :lol:
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

Jenny Lynn wrote:My 2 cents....
I encourage all to read the fine print, something like this was given out in the past.

My concern is.... is this a really a "rebate" as taxpayers are being told or is it where the government send these checks out but the recipients need to claim this amount received as a form of income on their subsequent tax return, thus making it not truly a "rebate" at all?
Good point. Likely to be taxed and considered 'income' and may even put you in a steeper tax bracket next year! :shock:

Here are some 'better' ways than my previous idea to use this 'rebate' to your best advantage:

Well, you could always save it. Absolutely everyone needs at least $500 in the bank. If you've got nothing between your finances and the wolf at the door, now's the time to do take action.

Go a step further and consider starting a savings account – you'll find the online banks pay several percentage points more than most brick-and-mortar operations.

Retire. Remember, the journey to your $1 million golden years starts with the first $100. Throw $300 into an online savings account paying 5% , add that much every year until you retire and you'll have $40,000. (Run the numbers yourself.) Enough to retire on? No, but a lot better than retiring with nothing.

Throw it at your credit cards. It's free money that can go toward very expensive money.

Save it for one of your irregular bills. Got money for your next insurance payment? Car registration? Snow tires?

Use free money to get more. If you've been afraid to enroll in your workplace 401(k) plan because of the hit on your take-home pay, use your rebate to ease the transition. Most employers match at least 50% of your contributions up to a certain point. See how it would grow here.

Make an extra mortgage payment. $1,000 today on a 30-year, 7% mortgage would save you $4,000 over the life of the loan.
Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

I want to know why 30 million fuckers out there that didn’t pay taxes at all somehow get a rebate.
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
EvilCouch
Ranger

Post by EvilCouch »

RTO wrote:If you've been afraid to enroll in your workplace 401(k) plan because of the hit on your take-home pay, use your rebate to ease the transition. Most employers match at least 50% of your contributions up to a certain point. See how it would grow here.
If you've been afraid to put cash into a 401(k) with employer matching funds, you're a jackass and should be cock punched.

And, this sounds like a pretty awesome thing, especially since with the cash I've put into my wife's tuition last year, I'm likely to get a full refund. Won't get us out of debt, but it's a bigger shovel than I've been using.
Clueless Joe(Sand hill): May 98 - May 99
Tabless Bitch (Bco 3/75): May 99 - May 01
REMF (11th Regt): May 01 - Feb 04
Leg Team/Squad leader (HHC 1-503, 2ID, OIF): Feb 04 - Dec 05
World's worst webcomic

Return to “The Mosh Pit”