RIP Korea Veteran Ranger Richard Gardner

News posted by members of this site. If you want to publish your own article or have something of value for the front page please indicate it as such.
Before posting make sure it hasn't already been posted. Write a concise and pertinent intro if you are going to post here.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
Check for duplicates before posting, otherwise post it in the original thread. If you want to post an article of your own or find it significant for the front page please let us know. Rangers Lead the Way
RTO
BANNED

RIP Korea Veteran Ranger Richard Gardner

Post by RTO »

Richard Gardner, former photojournalist for The Commercial Appeal passed away Tuesday.

For Mr. Gardner, a photojournalist who worked at The Commercial Appeal for 26 years, taking pictures was more than a career.

"Being a photographer was very, very important to my dad," said son Richard Gardner, 52, of Memphis. "He loved the work. He loved doing what he did."

Mr. Gardner died Tuesday of heart failure. He was 77.

Mr. Gardner was a burly man with strong arms and a

barrel chest. He wore a camera jacket covered in pockets, a plaid shirt and a floppy hat so often that he was buried in the outfit.

"We buried him just like he'd be out there, taking pictures," said son David Gardner, 50, of Kingsport.

A self-taught photographer, Mr. Gardner found his way into the picture business after enlisting in the military at 16 and serving in the Korean War. He was an Airborne Black Beret Ranger and a lieutenant, decorated with a silver star, two bronze stars and two purple hearts.

Richard said his dad rarely spoke of this experience, even though it made a deep impression on his life. When he died, the family found his Airborne Ranger's card in his wallet.

Full Story Here...
rgrking
Ranger

Post by rgrking »

RIP Ranger
rgrking

RS2 1995 -1996

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8
F50LRRP
BANNED

Post by F50LRRP »

Blue skies and soft landings, Ranger.

Return to “The News Dump”