Hey LEOs

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Hey LEOs

Post by hobbit »

I went on a 250 mile drive yesterday, and was reminded once again of something I've been meaning to ask for awhile now. How come cops don't use their headlights during daytime driving....especially on the highway? The American Insurance Institue has been so successful in informing the public that using one's headlights during daytime driving, cuts down on the chance of an accident by 30%. I'd say 75% or more of Northern California and Oregon drivers use their headlights during the day, especially if they're on the highway, yet neither the California Highway Patrol nor the Oregon State Police use their headlights during the day. Shouldn't LEOs be setting the example here?
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. -Albert Einstein
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

Maybe they don't want to stand out. If I was running radar, I'd try to blend in with my surroundings a bit, not look like a neon sign. Plus, everybody knows that cops are inherently better drivers than civilians.

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by hobbit »

Yea but....when more than half the population are using headlights during the day, wouldn't cops want to use their headlights also to "blend in" with the majority?
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. -Albert Einstein
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

hobbit wrote:Yea but....when more than half the population are using headlights during the day, wouldn't cops want to use their headlights also to "blend in" with the majority?
You're right.....you should sue them.
RLTW
EP
rgrking
Ranger

Re: Hey LEOs

Post by rgrking »

Desert Sloth wrote:Nothing cooler than seeing someone react to emergency lights behind them when 5 seconds earlier, there were no lights at all, pure darkness........
This would require a change of pants when the stop is complete.
rgrking

RS2 1995 -1996

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8
hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by hobbit »

Desert Sloth wrote:
hobbit wrote:Shouldn't LEOs be setting the example here?

Is this a serious question? I will lead by example when the US Attorney and the District Attorneys lead by example and start prosecuting persons that need to go to jail. Instead they set the "bar" by putting out prosecution guidelines like: transportation of marijuana under 400 lbs cases will not be accepted......or.........if the person did not admit to having the MJ in the trunk, then we won't prosecute.........

Fuck it, I guess I am all fucked up, I sometimes drive at night with NO LIGHTS on using my NVGs to catch the bastards off guard.........

Nothing cooler than seeing someone react to emergency lights behind them when 5 seconds earlier, there were no lights at all, pure darkness........

Call me crazy, but it sure is fun.........
Yes, it's a serious question. 42,600 people died in traffic accidents last year. According to the NII, 12,000 of those people may not have had to die if everyone used their headlights 24/7. "I didn't see him," is the most common after-accident phrase. I'm just curious if any state police departments have policies regarding daylight headlight use on their cruisers.
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

hobbit wrote:
Desert Sloth wrote:
hobbit wrote:Shouldn't LEOs be setting the example here?

Is this a serious question? I will lead by example when the US Attorney and the District Attorneys lead by example and start prosecuting persons that need to go to jail. Instead they set the "bar" by putting out prosecution guidelines like: transportation of marijuana under 400 lbs cases will not be accepted......or.........if the person did not admit to having the MJ in the trunk, then we won't prosecute.........

Fuck it, I guess I am all fucked up, I sometimes drive at night with NO LIGHTS on using my NVGs to catch the bastards off guard.........

Nothing cooler than seeing someone react to emergency lights behind them when 5 seconds earlier, there were no lights at all, pure darkness........

Yes, it's a serious question. 42,600 people died in traffic accidents last year. According to the NII, 12,000 of those people may not have had to die if everyone used their headlights 24/7. "I didn't see him," is the most common after-accident phrase. I'm just curious if any state police departments have policies regarding daylight headlight use on their cruisers.
And how many of those were caused by law enforcement vehicles driving without headlights? I'd be willing to bet they could be counted on a single hand. Now drunks driving with no headlights....yes, I've seen many of those. Also, an easy translation of "I didn't see them," in many cases is simply, "I had my head up my ass."

RLTW
EP
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

EarthPig wrote:
hobbit wrote:
Desert Sloth wrote:

And how many of those were caused by law enforcement vehicles driving without headlights? I'd be willing to bet they could be counted on a single hand. Now drunks driving with no headlights....yes, I've seen many of those. Also, an easy translation of "I didn't see them," in many cases is simply, "I had my head up my ass."
RLTW
EP
X2 on driving with their heads up their ass. Reading the paper, texting, talking, doing make-up, eating lunch, etc., let's start with cutting all this out first and see how much the stats come down before we start harping on the cops.

The NODS post made me laugh out loud!
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by hobbit »

cams wrote:
EarthPig wrote:
hobbit wrote: Yes, it's a serious question. 42,600 people died in traffic accidents last year. According to the NII, 12,000 of those people may not have had to die if everyone used their headlights 24/7. "I didn't see him," is the most common after-accident phrase. I'm just curious if any state police departments have policies regarding daylight headlight use on their cruisers.
RLTW
EP
X2 on driving with their heads up their ass. Reading the paper, texting, talking, doing make-up, eating lunch, etc., let's start with cutting all this out first and see how much the stats come down before we start harping on the cops.

The NODS post made me laugh out loud!
Good point. I'll bet yapping on cell phones while driving causes a lot of fatal accidents.
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

Hoover
Ranger

Post by Hoover »

Unaware of their surroundings......just the other day in heavy traffic on the freeway......the gal behind me is putting on her make up and totally focused on looking at herself in the rearview mirror and the fellow right next to me is flossing his teeth!

Head's firmly up their arse sums it up nicely!

and yes, my headlights are on day or night.
I think the cops are g2g and well trained drivers....they even have completly unmarked and discreet CHP cruisers out here....I'm all for it.....they have a very difficult and full time job dealing with all of the complete idiots on our roads.
2/75 C Co. 81-84
Ranger Class 14-82
"Cry Havoc Let Slip The Dogs of War"
1st SPWAR Tng Bn (Abn) USAJFKSWCS 87'
RLTW !
Mentor to J.P. Deepwater
RIP Class 02-07
Ranger Class 09-07
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

While I get the point about being more visible with lights on, I've responded a few thousand times with lights, sirens, air horns and an 8 ton fire truck under me.
CAMS called it, people have their heads too far up their butts to see any sort of lights.

"I'm late for work" trumps 8 tons of firekill fury every time. If they don't see my fancy new strobe array of specially engineered flashing colors and reflective paint and megadecibels of noise, they aren't going to see your RV with it's running lights.

Every emergency responder here could play 'top this story' for hours on this subject.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’

Return to “The Mosh Pit”