Max out your run time (or better)

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
colek42
Embryo

Max out your run time (or better)

Post by colek42 »

So you are a couch potato that has sat on his ass his whole entire life and you can't get better then 16:00 on the two mile? Well here is one of the quickest ways to improve that score and max it out in a few months or less.

This technique is called interval training and there are many ways to do it, but this it what has worked well for me.

Take your goal time. Lets say 13:00 for a 2 mile. Divide that number by 8.

So...

13min/8= 1.625
.625x60=37.5

So we have 1:37.

Now get off your couch step out side and run 1/4 mile in 1:37 seconds (6:30 pace). This should be very difficult. Now since you ran for 1:37 you get to rest for 1:37. Do this at least ten times, trust me you will be exhausted if you do it right. Remember you can do anything for a 1:37 seconds, its not that long of a time!

On your next week of interval training cut the rest time down by 10% or 14 seconds (you can decrease the time faster if you can). Soon enough you will be running the two mile at your goal pace. Now set a new goal...always improve yourself

Some Notes:

You should only do this twice a week as your body needs time to recover to get better. This does not mean that your should take the other days off. You just shouldn't do interval training. Go out and do a “distance runâ€
Last edited by colek42 on November 8th, 2007, 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
"So Far, So Good"
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Post the credentials that makes you feel compelled to provide advice to our little group.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
colek42
Embryo

Post by colek42 »

Ranger Silverback,

I posted here because I have been reading through this board the past couple weeks. It has helped me understand what I need to do to be able to join the 75th Rangers. I believe it is only appropriate that when you take you also give.

My intentions were to give some of the younger DEPs some guidance on how to get their run time up to standard. I've been an athlete my entire post-pubescent life. Including being a flanker for a D1 rugby team, the University of Minnesota. On my quest to be the best athlete I can I have done countless hours of research and training.

My current program for running includes doing these intervals as I believe it is the most efficient way to increase your aerobic capacity. They suck but they work.
"So Far, So Good"
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

colek42 wrote:Ranger Silverback,

I posted here because I have been reading through this board the past couple weeks. It has helped me understand what I need to do to be able to join the 75th Rangers. I believe it is only appropriate that when you take you also give.

My intentions were to give some of the younger DEPs some guidance on how to get their run time up to standard. I've been an athlete my entire post-pubescent life. Including being a flanker for a D1 rugby team, the University of Minnesota. On my quest to be the best athlete I can I have done countless hours of research and training.

My current program for running includes doing these intervals as I believe it is the most efficient way to increase your aerobic capacity. They suck but they work.
So basically you are a Shit-house lawyer...I would advise you to do your best to aim your advice to things you have knowledge of. None of the advice you have offered is new or ground breaking...It's all been said before. Long story short, don't post in the hopes that someone will read it...Post because you have something to contribute!
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
RGR_Dan
Ranger

Post by RGR_Dan »

SB is pissed, looks like they mortared the chowhall again.....
95-98 Aco. 3/75 2nd plt Weapons Sqd
98-01Hco 121st LRS
Former LEO
Former Contractor
LEO (round 2)
Charlie 51
Ranger

Post by Charlie 51 »

colek42 wrote:
Including being a flanker for a D1 rugby team, the University of Minnesota.
Dude, listen. I like Rugby as much as the next guy and yeah its a very tough sport but saying you are part of a D1 Rugby team when it is a CLUB sport is fucking nonsense. NCAA does not recognize rugby as one of their sports so quite trying to inflate your position by saying useless shit like this. It only makes you look like a tool.

There are atheletes on this site that you could not begin to hang with. They also have this cool little Ranger thing under their name, meaning they know exactly what it takes to get there. Let them coach young DEP's and sit back and enjoy.
C Co 2/75 Weapons
Classes 4-5/93

"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there" - Will Rogers
colek42
Embryo

Post by colek42 »

Ranger Charlie,

Collegiate club rugby is broken down into D1, D2, etc by USA Rugby. Women, because of that title 10 shit can be sanctioned by the NCAA. ( http://www.usarugby.org/media/EDocs/Web ... d41707.pdf ) link wrong....edited

Anyways Ranger Silverback you want me to go fuck off, so i'm going to go fuck off.
"So Far, So Good"
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

Someone smoke this Smart Ass.
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

colek42 wrote:Anyways Ranger Silverback you want me to go fuck off, so i'm going to go fuck off.
I never used those words...Bye!
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
42L5V
Ranger

Post by 42L5V »

Colek -

I'm not going to dogpile you, however I would not advise anyone who is a couch potato to begin running 1:37 quarter miles - much less run 10 repetitions the first time they "get off the couch".

Nor would I advise a 1:1 ratio of spint and rest. It should be 1:2 (meaning twice as much time in between intervals than time spent running the interval).

A beginning runner should conduct their intervals at 30 second bursts, followed by 60 second rest periods, and not do more than 6 to start off. They should warm up for at least 10 minutes (which would be about a mile and 1/4) and cool down for at least 10 minutes.

Nor would I advise anyone currently running a 16:00 two-mile to run 1:37. Anyone running a 16, should run their intervals at 1:50 to 1:55, if they are just beginning an interval program.

Nor would I recommend ANYONE running intervals twice a week, to include those who are already proficient runners.

In fact - I think you're not qualified to post running advice.
MSG, U.S. Army, 1987-2007
RSClass 10-92
Rugger
Ranger

Post by Rugger »

"Including being a flanker for a D1 rugby team, the University of Minnesota."

Nice loss to Bowling Green in the Midwest finals....
A 3/75 86-88 Ranger Class 12-87
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

WOW!!.. :shock: :shock: :shock: Interval training???... Never Heard of it..

Why, it's too exotic for the likes of us, I'm afraid.. I'll just go back to being a fat-assed cough potato....:roll: :roll:

(Does this count as being part of a dog pile?...)
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
CHCB
Ranger

Post by CHCB »

42L5V wrote:
Nor would I recommend ANYONE running intervals twice a week, to include those who are already proficient runners.

In fact - I think you're not qualified to post running advice.
Well said...intervals once a week, MAX.

Frankly, I've been rethinking intervals even that often, instead, I'm doing more tempo runs.

But there is nothing like doing a set of 10 800s on 400 recovery to prove you've still got big balls!
2nd PLT A co 1/75 78-80
Ranger Class 502-79

Return to “About Army Physical Training”