What would be your favorite knife to own?

Racks, Helmets, Cold Weather Gear
ChipOnShoulder

Post by ChipOnShoulder »

Black 6 wrote:
Doc Cook wrote: ........If I had the time, money and Dojo, I would learn the Wakazashi (Iaido) like the back of my hand, and hide it like my sister's virginity (If I had a sister) to keep from being fucked with by comrades like all of you.......
I had to read this twice, first time I could have sworn that it said you would hide your short sword in your sister's virginity....

Doc, you from Kentucky? :wink:
I meant the knowledge, you pervert. I ain't got a short sword I have a two handed sword. Docs are lovers not fighters.
The Holmchicken
Ranger

Post by The Holmchicken »

You mean none of you guys have a serial numbered Yarborough knife? Fucking weak sauce!! :roll: :roll: :D
2/75 97-00

It's not that I'm lazy........it's that I don't care

75th RRA
ChipOnShoulder

Post by ChipOnShoulder »

Are those still "gifts" or do guys have to buy them now at the end of the trail?
The Holmchicken
Ranger

Post by The Holmchicken »

Doc Cook wrote:Are those still "gifts" or do guys have to buy them now at the end of the trail?
Naw, it's still issued. Only they consider it "signed out" to you so you have to fill out an arms room card. No shit. Mine is in the box, still in the sheath and will probably never see the light of day.
2/75 97-00

It's not that I'm lazy........it's that I don't care

75th RRA
EvilCouch
Ranger

Post by EvilCouch »

Doc Cook wrote:Also,... Hajis fear blades for some reason.?.?.?.?.....
Had a Cold Steel kukri strapped to my back for most of Iraq. Detainees seemed to become more nervous and polite around me for some strange reason.
Clueless Joe(Sand hill): May 98 - May 99
Tabless Bitch (Bco 3/75): May 99 - May 01
REMF (11th Regt): May 01 - Feb 04
Leg Team/Squad leader (HHC 1-503, 2ID, OIF): Feb 04 - Dec 05
World's worst webcomic
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

I have a Gerber LMF that I bought when I first joined the Army. It still rides on my web gear.

My daily carry is either an Emerson Combat Commander, or my CRKT M16-14ZSF.

I actually find that I carry the CRKT more these days, since it is MUCH less expensive than the Emerson, and I like the Tanto point on it. I moved the clip to the tang end, and now it opens just like the Emerson Wave feature. It draws well from the pocket, and is opened as soon as it is drawn. Very fast knife, very well balanced.

I have my dad's Randall... but would not dare carry that knife. It's in my safe.
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
BruteForce
US Army Veteran

Post by BruteForce »

GSXRanger wrote:I have a Gerber LMF that I bought when I first joined the Army. It still rides on my web gear.

I usually sported a Ken Onion/Kershaw thumb assisted knife, but I recently lost it while felling trees.

Is the M16 a thumb assisted speed opening knife?
US Army 1986 - 1994
InfoSec/InfraGard/NetGuard (1994 - Present)
Random world and Adventures of BruteForce
hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by hobbit »

I bought this one at Wal-Mart three years ago for 99 cents. It lives in my Jeep. I've used it a thousand times, for everything from cutting French bread, to spreading jam, to opening bait tins, to cleaning fish, to forcing my way into those thick plastic packages that are almost impossible to open.

L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. -Albert Einstein
BruteForce
US Army Veteran

Post by BruteForce »

hobbit wrote:I bought this one at Wal-Mart three years ago for 99 cents. It lives in my Jeep. I've used it a thousand times, for everything from cutting French bread, to spreading jam, to opening bait tins, to cleaning fish, to forcing my way into those thick plastic packages that are almost impossible to open.

I have a similar knife, also purchased at Walmart that lives in my truck and is usually ONLY used for those tough plastic packages.. :D
US Army 1986 - 1994
InfoSec/InfraGard/NetGuard (1994 - Present)
Random world and Adventures of BruteForce
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

Ive owned a SOG Flash II which is holding up VERY well, throws well at 10 yards, holds a decent edge and cost...bout $32.00
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

BruteForce wrote:
GSXRanger wrote:I have a Gerber LMF that I bought when I first joined the Army. It still rides on my web gear.

I usually sported a Ken Onion/Kershaw thumb assisted knife, but I recently lost it while felling trees.

Is the M16 a thumb assisted speed opening knife?
Here is a picture of it... I took the clip and moved it to the opposite end, that way the two knurled ends are down in the pocket. When you grasp the knife to draw it, the lower one grabs on to your pants pocket, and opens the blade.

It works much like the "wave" feature on Emerson's knives.

That, and it was less than $40 bucks. If I lose it, I wont be to terribly upset.

The balance of this knife needs to be felt to be believed. All in all, GREAT blade for $40 bucks...

RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

Still have the spyderco rescue knife I got in Batt and a old-ass Kabar. The fucker is tough as a coffin nail and is easy as shit to make razor sharp.

Saw an original jungle machete at a antique shop in Andersonville. It was the kind issued to Merrill's in WW2 and in good shape sans sheath. My dumb ass shoulda bought it when I had the chance

B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

My daily carry at work is also the CRKT M16. Cost here was 80.00 though. East Coast prices? :? All black with the 1* (1 ass to risk) symbol on the blade.

Like SB, Zonk, GSX said, real nice in-expensive carry knife. Tough as nails, holds a damn fine edge and balanced very well. And again, this is a fast knife!

Once you're comfortable with it's operation, it's actually quicker than an auto knife, no fumbling for a switch or detent button, your thumb or finger (I use my index finger to snap the lever while it's being drawn) is on the lever and it snaps out fast and locks up tight.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
EvilCouch
Ranger

Post by EvilCouch »

cams wrote:My daily carry at work is also the CRKT M16. Cost here was 80.00 though. East Coast prices? :? All black with the 1* (1 ass to risk) symbol on the blade.

Like SB, Zonk, GSX said, real nice in-expensive carry knife. Tough as nails, holds a damn fine edge and balanced very well. And again, this is a fast knife!

Once you're comfortable with it's operation, it's actually quicker than an auto knife, no fumbling for a switch or detent button, your thumb or finger (I use my index finger to snap the lever while it's being drawn) is on the lever and it snaps out fast and locks up tight.
I'm slightly less cool. My carry knife is the CRKT 18-14, without any neato finish. Sounds like it draws and opens just the same, though. CRKT makes fine blades. I've been carrying this thing pretty much every day for the past 3 years. I'll probably need to figure out where my whetstone is soon, though. It's starting to take effort to cut things.
Clueless Joe(Sand hill): May 98 - May 99
Tabless Bitch (Bco 3/75): May 99 - May 01
REMF (11th Regt): May 01 - Feb 04
Leg Team/Squad leader (HHC 1-503, 2ID, OIF): Feb 04 - Dec 05
World's worst webcomic

Return to “Personal Gear”